1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Every Possible Advantage

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 10 Nov 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

hahaha brilliant!!!
    mass cheating for all!!! :hehe:

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Glad its not just me who is tired of realisim games and sneaking. Its entertainment and is no way meant to be realistic. If I wanted realisim I would not be playing games.

Head on with the biggest gun, exactly my style :D

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Cant wait to get serious with Sam again :D

5. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

I've always liked the tactical approach, subtlty is an art. The great thing about AI is its you versus the machine and you can always find a hole - the zergling rush of starcraft, using doors in splinter cell - hang back, watch and wait. People simply present more of a challenge but theres always a hole, always a weakness. You don't need to cheat you just need patience.

6. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

i am in love with my copy of MGS 1&2&3 (i keep them on my pillow as i sleep), but thats purely because i like the sneaky-sneaky part of it (despite raiden who looks like a girl)

but i also treasure my copy of q3a, and b&w, and sim city, and NwN......

sometimes im in the mood for being a sneaky bugger and taking out peeps with a little finesse.... sometimes i just want to spend a few hours repeatedly and methodicly shooting people in the head (sniper elite, oh how i love you)

as for cheating..... i will only cheat a game after i have completed it. its a little point of honour for me, i play the game to have fun, but the challenge can be fun too. i will use cheats on games, but only on the 2nd time through, or if im just chilling out (i.e. pleay destroy all humans and running around anal-probing peeps then cancelling police alert, or infinite ammo for toasting cows >:] )

i just think if i pay £40 for a game, then i dont want to just cheat my way through it, takes a lot of the fun out of it that way.

7. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

I don't have patience in entertainment.. I have patience when I have a problem at work, patience when my kid's crying or patience when I'm queueing and the cashier is messing about.

Patience is not fun. Shooting things with an enormous gun is fun.

8. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Agreed.

Stat Whore.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

10. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

omg Haxor in the server

11. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I whole heartedly agree with that (except the kid bit as I dont have one though I know what you are getting at) :) :thumb:

12. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Hmmm, pretty lame to be fair. I could never condone cheating (or exploiting) because it's exactly that attitude that justifies it for everyone else. If you're a stat whore your killing the fun element for other people, just like team stacking in CS.

I must admit I hate the emphasis on supposed realism when the human-computer interfaces and in game phyiscs we have are utterly insufficient to truely demonstrate subtletly and ingenuity. I mean how many times have you been frustrated by being forced to go round the houses when blatently in real life you'd just stack up those crates in the corner and climb through the window. etc. etc.

13. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

hes talking about cheating in SP not MP
    i've been known to apply the odd godmode in SP occasionally :worried:
    normally i like to complete it properly first but i can be fun to run around melee'ing large groups of baddies into oblivion :D

14. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Not in the slightest, firstly I'm primarily talking about Single Player games and secondly I said that physical cheating in MMOs is bad. If other people have fewer morals than me that's their own problem and should be reported appropriately.

As for killing the fun element for others, that again is their own problem as I'm doing nothing the game wasn't designed to do. I don't know what team stacking is in CS, but unless it's an exploitable bug or downright cheat, then whatever tactics work for them are valid.

For example, I would be a sniper in most MP games like that, because I feel it gives me the best advantage. If people want to call me lame, or a camper, then big deal. Point is, I'm winning and I'm winning within the boundaries of the game parameters.

If that's considered unnacceptable then people either need to come up with a method of killing campers or petion to have the game changed so they're not so powerful. Either way, if I'm not doing anything another player couldn't do without a little thought, that's just hard cheese.

15. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

In the RPG forums that were my home for two or three years (shout out to GameBanshee) we called it powergaming, and I can't help doing it. If a game doesn't have a perfect build and set of equipment already laid out for you, I'll make it my mission to find it, make the most insanely powerful character possible, and completely break the game for myself. A recent example is the somewhat less-than-wonderful KotOR 2, where by the end my PC (and the rest of my party, and every single other person that could possibly be in my party) had what I felt was the perfect set of equipment for their perfect set of skills. The epic final battle in that game took me two rounds of swinging my fully-upgraded dual lightsabers, and it was over due to the insane amount of damage I was doing.

By that time, the fun of the game was solely due to gawping at just how stupendously good my character was, and for no other reason. Some people would argue that this isn't fun at all, but I can't help it - it's just how i play the game.

16. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

Great article! Sometimes I like to do the sneaking, sometimes I like to do the mad blasting with the biggest weapon. I have to agree that to me if I want to play a game I want to feel a bit godlike, not like if I step around that corner and somebody takes a good shot I'll be dead. To me, taking advantage of all of the little loopholes in the game is called skill, not cheating. The developers just need to take more care that there are no loopholes :D

17. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

I agree with that completely, and tbh if I am playing a game and I'm not enjoying it as it doesnt appeal to my style of play, rather than use cheats and hacks I just move on to a games which I do like.

I play a lot of counter-strike and I really enjoy it, but if I wanted to go charging in with the biggest gun possible and know that I'm so hardcore I can't be beat I wont use cheats, I'll go and play Serious Sam. All games have different styles of play. If you dont like it, dont play it.

18. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

rofl, I did the exact same! :D

19. Wolfman_UK

Wolfman_UK What's a Dremel?

The reason I don't cheat is because it takes the challenge out of the game.

If you complete a game without using a single cheat how much more satisfaction do you get at the end than if you had used a cheat? Much more, which makes the game more enjoyable.

If you want to cheat in SP games, go ahead, your choice - but you lose the benefit of how the game was designed to be played.

-wolfman

20. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Ditto.

Tags: Add Tags