1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tagon 480w psu just gone BANG

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carbonfibre, 17 Nov 2005.

1. carbonfibre

carbonfibre What's a Dremel?

Tagan TG480-U01 power supply.

Yes it did go Bang, didn't see any blue flash but there must have been, blew the plug fuse as well. System is definitely not overloaded as its now running on a cheap 250w supply. Anybody have any suggestions about why it went bang or have I just been unlucky with this one. :sigh:

Chris

2. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

your specs?

3. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

Tagan QC has a history of being very good. This is very unexpected -- I know I've had no problems from my U22. Any idea of any other factors could have caused this?

Even so, you should be able to RMA it, depending on how long ago you bought it. I'd shoot Tagan Customer Service off an email :)

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

yeah, don't tagan PSUs have a 3 year warranty?

5. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Power surge/spike from the mains side? We get them all the time and I've actually been thinking of getting a UPS to provide consistent flow... This might just up the ante for me.

However I've had no probs from my tagan at the moment and I have same PSU.

6. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Yup Tagans have 3 year warranty.

Though if its under 1 yr, i suggest go back to ur retailer first. Postage on that thing is gonna be nutz.......... :rock:

7. Amjedm

Amjedm Minimodder

Dont' some retailers cover the cost of postage?

I haven't heard of many Tagan's going bang. Being honest as I prefer Seasonic myself.

8. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Agree with a post above, power surge of some description.

If you havent got a surge protector yet I would get one, mines saved my ass a few times :thumb:

Did you check the plug to see the fuse was the correct one, isnt the whole point in a fuse to got pop if the power is too great, maybe it had the wrong one in.

9. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I'm surprised to hear this - Tagan supplies are excellent units. I'd be inclined to agree on it being an external factor, although it should have coped unless the surge was for quite a long time.

Tagan have a 3 year warranty, so RMA it (tech@tagan.com, I believe) :)

10. carbonfibre

Thanks for the replies

I’ve just managed to extract it from my case as it’s due to be collected tomorrow, to be returned to dabs. I do have a belkin surge protector plugged in which still shows “protected & earthed”. It was installed around the 21st of September when I also replaced the cpu, memory, graphics card & added water cooling. Since then it has been switched on and running for about 75% of the time. As it’s still running on the 250w supply I’m assuming that my current setup isn’t faulty, but surely if there was a short in my set up the Tagan should not have gone bang but overloaded and shut down. The fuse that blew was the original 13A which to me seems a bit excessive but it’s clearly marked on the plug top “fitted with 13A fuse” on a sticky label.
    No other sensitive electronic equipment in the house went bang at the same time ie. alarm system which is not on a filtered supply, so still slightly puzzled.

11. carbonfibre

Just an update at last I have received my replacement tagan psu. Obviously the one I returned wasn’t worth repairing, but no explanation as to the problem or the cause.

12. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

good news that they replaced it for you. :) Were they easy to work with?

13. 5aboy

5aboy Minimodder

I have just had a new 480U01 sent to me after mine gave a loud click, and then smelt as if something was burning.

it wasnt nice trying to deal with any customer service team over new years as people tend to have this time off and come back to a big pile of stuff, so 1 week after I had first told them (nanopoint.co.uk) about it, ive had mine delivered, and the clicking is gone, and ive got the special pci-e connectors and 4 satas instead of 2!

its a great PSU, and the 3 year warranty really is worth it!

14. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I do so love how everyone jumped onto Tagan's defense; if it were another manufacturer such as, say, Enermax, there would be tons of people jumping in saying "OMG ENERMAX SUX" or something along those lines, even though I have never seen a single complaint of PSU failure from an Enermax PSU in my two years here on bit-tech. Amazing what good word of mouth can do :hehe:

But seriously, glad to hear you got a replacement :) I think I need an uninterruptable PSU as well.

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Indeed, Tagan are a very fondly viewed brand now. As for my opinion of them, thats just another two reasons not to buy the things really.

Good to see people got stuff sorted though :)

16. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

A little off topic, but what exactly happens if a power surge occurs and you have a surge protector? We've been using surge protectors for all expensive electronic items for years in this house, and we've wondered whether we've actually had a surge.

Does the power go off or the surge protector explodes or what?

Tagen PSU's are good, although I have heard once or twice of them exploding with no trace of what actually went wrong, as a rule however, the more you pay for a PSU, the more reliable it is. So RMA it, lucky none of your components went with the PSU!

Last edited: 13 Jan 2006
  17. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Most PC surge protection units use something called an MOV (metal oxide varistor), which will actually shunt away all voltages above a certain level. They can be designed to accept over 6,000V and redirect any power above a given voltage (300V for 240V countries AFAIK) to ground to avoid damage. The problem is that they can only take so much - a direct lightning strike can blow right through one. Quality supressors include a light to tell you when the MOV has expired so you can replace it - beware of cheaper models that don't, as there will often be no indication that it's blown and so will be no more use than a standard power strip.

More expensive methods of protection include proper line conditioning, which will always ensure that the voltage is kept in spec and will supress voltage transients and fluctuations to give clean power, and UPS systems.

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

A quick and easy thing thats generally only used in the Navy, is just trying knots in all your power cables. It sounds silly, but it actually has quite an effect on power surges aparently. Enough at least, that its fairly standard practise in the navy.

19. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

*sound of 200 bit members tying cable in knots*

20. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I've got a Tagan 480U01 (or something like that). When I first got it, it was DOA, so I RMAed it over the phone and OcUK sent me a new one no problem. I think one of the wires on the +12V P4 connector had come loose at the PCB, so it wouldn't power up properly. Either that or something bigger... The new one works great though.

ch424