1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Cheap h2o vs TT Big Typhoon

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LsdBoy, 21 Nov 2005.

1. LsdBoy

LsdBoy What's a Dremel?

Ok, my modded zalman 7000cu can't cool my clocked p4 to good temps when i'm playing games like CoD2, Q4. So i'm looking for a good and silent air cooling or this cheap h2o kitt blow. The Big Typhoon will cost 62$ and the h2o will cost 124,29$ I will have 2x16db adda fans on the airplex evo. I will probably cool 2 harddrives with the h2o to. Will i have the same temps as with the Big Typhoon or even better? This is a really cheap and qutie good h2o kitt in my eyes. Can't afford a better h2o kitt cause i need to buy a new harddrive to.

cpu:AquaComputer Cuplex EVO, socket 478 37,8$
    radiator:Aqua Computer Airplex EVO 120 25$
    hoose, PVC transp. 10/13mm 12,8$
    T-adapter, 10mm 35 kr 4,48$
    "Pump connection"PVC plast, 10mm-slang, 1/2-gänga 6,41$
    Pump: Hydor Seltz L30 pump, 20l/min 37.8$
    Total: 124,29$

2. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

hmmm... hard drives usually don't need any cooling... just a fine breeze of air will keep most of the drives cool enough

3. LsdBoy

LsdBoy What's a Dremel?

I want theme to be silent so i have mounted theme in two 5.25bays. And it's really tight som thats why i wan't to have theme in the same h2o loop... I can get 2x5.25 hd blocks for 64$ and thats half the price compared to other hd blocks.

4. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

do you mean the ones from aqua computer that house 2 harddrives and is equipped with dampeningmat?

5. LsdBoy

LsdBoy What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    But how does the kitt look with and without the hd blocks?

6. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

with: a few more tubes
    without: less messy, less tubes

7. LsdBoy

LsdBoy What's a Dremel?

K, but how will it preform?
    The reason why i want to cool the hd blocks with h2o is that i will mount the radiatorn in the front of my lian li pc7se. I got 1 120mm adda fan. The hard drives are now coold in a coolermaster 4-in-3 device with a 16db papsats fan. So i can move the pastats fan to the radiator and use it to blow or suck air if i get to high temps at a lan or so.

8. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

hmmm... what hard drive do you have? my seagate 300gig 7200.8 stays nice and cool with the slight breeze my front fan gives it... I'd rather mount the rad to take air from the case and blow out the heated air from the case, this way you'll keep the case temps lower... there are other components that need a slight airflow, not just the ones you cool with water... :sigh:

Last edited: 21 Nov 2005
  9. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

If you're mounting the rad at the front of the case, then the easy option is just to mount the HD's straight behind, in the path of the air flowing thru the rad.
    It won't keep them cold, but certainly cool enough.

10. LsdBoy

LsdBoy What's a Dremel?

i will have 1x160gb 8mb sata HITACHI DESKSTAR and one 1x500gb 16mb sata HITACHI DESKSTAR. Ok so i mount the radtator in tha back instead. But will the pump fitt if i put mi drives there/will it be as silent as if i had theme in the 5.25 bays?
    This is how it looks with the standard drives mounted:
    [​IMG]
    And if i will mount the two drives in a 5.25bay with just rubber damping will have to buy a silent 80mm fan to mount infront of theme and it wount blow much cool air on the drives.

I wantet to have the drives mounted with h2o blocks like this one:
    [​IMG]

11. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

one question... what size tubes are you going to use? if the lain dcc would be able to connect to the tubes you are going to use then that's a good choise... it's small, silent and runs of 12V which means your psu will give it the power

12. LsdBoy

LsdBoy What's a Dremel?

I will use 3/8 cause the block's and the radiator are using 3/8. I know that 1/2 will give me better flow but i don't want to change all my connections... And i want the lain dcc pump is silent and preforms good but i can't get it here in sweden and i can't afford to orderit form uk or germany at the moment. But this will be my first h2o kitt and it will be upgraded later with a dual BI pro, better pump like lain dcc and i will cool my gpu and nb.

13. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

it also travels by the name of swiftech mcp350... it's the best pump when talking about high pressure and pumps about 350l/h... and don't worry small bore like 3/8" will get the job done aswell... it eats even less space

edit: I sent you a link in PM

Last edited: 21 Nov 2005
  14. LsdBoy

LsdBoy What's a Dremel?

Thanx i have seen that link but i still wonder if it's worth 700sek/90$ more than the hydro L30 pump. If i buy that pump kitt then i'm abel to have the pump and res in a 5.25bay and the harddrives can be mounted in their normal space. And if i do that i will earn 500sek/62$ from the hd blocks and then i just need to add 200sek/26$. Maby i will buy that pump instead.

cpu:AquaComputer Cuplex EVO, socket 478 37,8$
    radiator:Aqua Computer Airplex EVO 120 25$
    hoose, PVC transp. 10/13mm 12,8$
    T-adapter, 10mm 4,48$
    "Pump connection"PVC plast, 10mm-slang, 1/2-gänga 6,41$
    Pump: MCP350 pump, 5 1/4" drive bay rack 116$
    Total: 202,49$

Is this a better kitt? Will get a gpu and a nb block later.

15. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

I'd still suggest to compare prices in different stores... I don't think it'll be that expensive to order from germany or uk since you live in sweden... at least it's woth to check out

16. LsdBoy

LsdBoy What's a Dremel?

I know that but im 17 and i will be 18 in feb. So i dont have visa or mastercard. Thats why i want this kitt now to upgrade it with a gpu and nb block later...
    But i changed the l30 pump to swiftech mcp350.

17. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

mmm... I know one store in germany who sells aqua computer stuff and accepts money order

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but I've never seen the point of HD cooling. Both my seagates never get warmer than 30 degrees or so, even when defragging, or mirroring one drive to another, or any other hard work. I'll admit it looks cool, and if that's the reason that's fine by me (I'm all for that) but if you're genuinely bothered about temps, just don't buy drives that run hot.

19. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

that was one of the things we tried to explain earlier :D
    my seagate is happy with the slight breeze it gets from the front fan

20. LsdBoy

LsdBoy What's a Dremel?

What was the aquacomputer store's name?

Tags: