1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Making a IR Receiver

Discussion in 'Modding' started by nick[x1], 18 May 2005.

1. nick[x1]

nick[x1] What's a Dremel?

This one might be a bit hard, but I would really like this to work.

Once again this will be for my diy projector.

I have a cheap old IR remote in front of me and I want this to control my projector with functions such as:

Turn it on and off (would require a relay 240v 13a for the 400w bulb, and i would like the power button to be held down for so long as soon as the bulb is off it cant be turned on for 15 mins, thats the saftey feature built into it)
    Turn the lights on the outside on and off (general lighting for my seating area, 50w each bulb total of 6, dont want them all on or off)
    Control the lcd, this should be simple, as its only push to make, i dont want it on or off, so basicaly like the buttons on the front of your monitor on a remote

Hope that covers it all

I would need a way to program it as well, for example press a button for teaching it to turn on, then send it the on command from the ir remote.

I dont really want to use a PIC but hmm

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37842&doy=18m5D

HAd a look at that but its 2 channel

Input please :)

2. theshadow27

theshadow27 What's a Dremel?

3. nick[x1]

Hmm, thanks, still would like to build one :)

If it turns out not to be possible then i will have to buy a pre made one, only because i want to make it exacley how i need it etc etc

I need some hardcore help on this :(

Been doing research on google

4. theshadow27

all of thos links are vellman kits. that meens it comes with the parts and you put it together. if you want to design and build your own, then you will need to program a PIC -- the velman kit (did a google image search) has a "SVK6711" chip on it-- basicly vellman paid someone to mass produce a pre-burned 12C chip.

there are many BasicStamp projects that use IR remotes (16 I/Os std up to 40 with the "P"), and i am sure that it is possable to do it with a PIC, except that in assembly it would take forever. i am going to suggest that you get the kit, because it will work on the first try and save you a lot of :wallbash:ing. later, you can move the vellmen components over to your own PCB.

5. nick[x1]

Ok, you know how much shipping will be to the UK from there?

EDIT:

seems like $30 shipping :eek:
    and on the page it says the thing is $15ish then its like $35 on the basket think :(

Last edited: 18 May 2005
  6. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Maplin do some of the Velleman kits, as do some online UK-based retailers. I'm not sure what ones they do, though, but it's worth checking their site, to save you ~£18 on the shipping.

_C

7. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

yeah, any UK (or EU at least) options?

8. nick[x1]

Found this:
    http://www.partridgeelectronics.co.uk/framediykits.htm

but can it do
    toggle
    toggle only while pressed and stuff like that????

£30 is quite a bit :(

and can i use any remote i wish? i want to be able to press learn and press the button on the remote to assign that button to that function

:(

9. theshadow27

yeah, for 60$ you may as well ship it from my site.

there is no program function. vellmen sells their own remotes. on the site it sais:

makes me think that it isnt a random protocal. any learning IR remote would be able to emulate it... but i couldent promise that it would work with the remote that you are looking at.

this kit: http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/QK142
    comes with a comerical (prebuilt) remote, a (diffrent brand) 12 channel IR reciever, and the relays built onto the board (as oposed to the vellmen which needs a seprate relay board). the channels can be either toggling or momentary (or mixed) and it has a clear all button. at the core is a Atmel 89C2051... "pre programed". my suggestion is to find this in a UK store, or something similar at least. when you got it up and running the way that they want, you can cut some traces and solder in your own components to get a perfect setup -- it goes into detail how each part works (at that link).

even if you have to buy it from QKITs, it is $44 US with $30 us shipping (assuming that is true) you get everything you want for £35 shiped. not that bad considering it comes with a remote.

if you built the whole thing yourself, including the MCU, ir decoder module, relays, PCB, remote, and shift regesters, i doubt you could do it for under £50, and then there is many hours of staring at a scope trying to figure out the IR waveforms, writing/debuging the code, ect... just something to think about

10. modding-monkey

modding-monkey What's a Dremel?

take a look at this

picaxe stuff is great, very easy to use and program.

dont know if this is of any use to you.

11. nick[x1]

12. boardsportsrule

boardsportsrule What's a Dremel?

hello, quick question, can i hook this up to a USB cable,and work it thru that? thanks

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Quasar do a 12-channel kit, at £40 not cheap, but it does include a remote and 12 mains-rated relays, so good value IMO (if you need lots of 240V channels).

Or they sell the remote transmitter, receiver and a pre-programmed uPC decoder for up to 14 channels at £15 if you want to do your own version, or just the pre-programmed chip.

I've seen the same kits Stateside, try googling kit numbers.

14. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

I would really recommend the picaxe system, I would estimate the cost to be under £10 includiong programming cables and the bundled software. It has up to 1000 different signals, or something absurd like that. I have been using them for years, and they are really easy, programmed by the serial port in simple basic. The actual chips are £1.50 (get a picaxe 08M), the ir transmittters are 50p and so are the ir receivers. The software is free download, so all you need are two resistors, and a serial plug.

15. khlv

khlv What's a Dremel?

16. khlv

khlv What's a Dremel?

svk6711

i wont to know the circuit operation description for k6711

17. khlv

khlv What's a Dremel?

plz i wont some lecture notes in introduction to optimal control system