1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a nice new shiny TFT :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-18698, 21 Nov 2005.

1. VincentVega

VincentVega What's a Dremel?

It's spelt "it's", not "its". ;)

2. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

come on give me a break, it's 4 minutes past midnight

3. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

4. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

im thinking of building a new pc soon, i want to get a tft with good response time, thats how i came across that 1. i also want to use it as a tv, hence getting a 19".

How come there are so few decent tfts that work as tvs aswell and the ones that are any good are rly expensive, surely it cant cost that much to add tv functionality to a tft?

5. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

I was lookng at a 20.1" 16ms Viewsonic, but since it's still really expensive with a rather high response time I'm going for a low ms (4 or 8) Planar/BenQ/Viewsonic/Samsung 19".

Currently, I have a 17" (16ms Hitachi CML174SWXB) from 2002 and would love a bit more real estate w/out having to pay too much. My computer (mainly the x800XL) is not exactly top of the line and I doubt that I'll be able to run higher than 1280 x 1024 in newer games for a while to come anyway, so why bother getting a 20+?

Of course I'd be better off with no more computer or computer related parts for the rest of the year and into the next :waah:

6. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I just got a Samsung 915n 19" with 8ms response time and I absolutely love it. It looks great, it's very bright, there is absolutely NO ghosting at all. The only problem is running games on lower than the native res, which does lower the image quality. Looking at your specs though, I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem running anything at 1280x1024.

The auto adjust button is also usefull, as it automatically adjusts brightness, contrast, and screen position for you. Most of the time is puts it dead on, but I have found in some games I have to raise the gamma because it just appears way too dark.

I have also noticed that trying to adjust the settings in Natural Color (the program it comes with) can be a pain. Setting the RGB colors is wicked easy, but getting it to the right brightness and gamma adjustments in this program is a bit frustrating. I just set it to default and adjust everything else with the nvidia software, which is a lot easier and lets you avoid all of the engrish in Samsungs program.

All said and done though I think this monitor was definitely worth the money I spent on it. It was about 320 US dollars with a 50 dollar rebate putting it at the 270 dollar sweet spot.

It's a lot easier on my eyes, and blows my old CRT out of the water.

7. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Agreed with all of the above for my older Samsung 17" TFT. My favourite screens by far :)

8. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

9. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

nah... if they both have same resolution it'll most likely become sooo tiny on the 17" that you can't use it at that resolution

10. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'd say definitely go for the 19". I doubt you will see any difference in 2". One more thing though, videos that are less than the native res also look kind of crappy, but thats cause the video sucks, not your awesome new monitor.

EDIT: Oh, I see you have updated your sig with your new Viewsonic TFT. :duh:

Well, how do you like it?

11. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

Be greatful ill prob only get socks this year! :wallbash: :hehe:

i have to admit though the samsung 915n doesnt look very pretty as such... not compared to some of the xerox screens...

12. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

yer i shouldnt have added that, i will be deciding on it soon tho :( depending on what the money situation is like lol

13. westie

westie What's a Dremel?

ah the fun of getting a new TFT, when i got mine i sucked at games for a while coz it was so different from using a CRT.

14. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

15. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

yeah... but once you've gotten used to them, you don't want to go back

16. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

1 thing i am concernd about is the dead pixel warranty, i will be gutted if i get a screen with a pixel or two constantly displaying a red blue or green pixel

17. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Samsung have a zero-tolerance policy on dead pixels. They're the only manufacturer that I know of with such a policy, but it's unlikely you will need to call upon it anyway. Improvements in manufacturing techniques mean that they're much rarer than they were :)

18. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

ahh so i should eb ok with the viewsonic.

also any of you guys had experience with www.lowestonweb.com ? or are they best avoided

19. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

I've got a deadpixel on this lcd, Its a red one, but the only time you can see it, is when the screen is pure white or black, even then its still hard to spot out, 1 pixel is ALOT smaller then you might think..

20. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

yer i know its small, but my dad had that issue with his sony 3 years back, he had a red one and a green one , vvv iritating