1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Lend me your brain....

Discussion in 'Modding' started by NOMIS, 27 Nov 2005.

1. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

...for some ideas.

My dad brung this back from his work, I dunno what it is but I wanna do something to it. First off some pics.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I've thought of a name for it, 'Minibox' what you guys think?

I was thinking something along the lines of silver and blue, with a little logo type thing cut out on the side near the front, which says Minibox with blue led and plexi behind, also a design or something cut into the top.

Also, about the inside, the goal is to make it fit some sort of micro atx system, some cheap 2nd hand parts something like that :)

What you guys think? Any ideas?

2. nbfsoldier

nbfsoldier What's a Dremel?

it looks quite strange the psu is very long and the pci cards are horizontal. plug it in boot it up and find out the speks? it is obviously quite old because of the zip drive. have you got a pic of the back?

3. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

Silver and blue sounds good but can you slavage anything from it to make this new system. or better yet, is it worth the new parts for such a small system? rather jus mod the appearance and then if there is still space kit it out

4. nbfsoldier

nbfsoldier What's a Dremel?

5. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

I'll get one soon. Yeah the PSU goes really long.

I've been thinking about different layouts, but I'll have to get some measurements etc and see what I can fit where, but in my head it's all fitted(is that even a word?) :p

6. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

I can't see a ZIF socket in there, so that would imply it's a 286 or 386, the 5 3/4inch drive suggests 286 to me (back in the days when floppy disks were floppy) as does the PSU as 386 was when the AT standard really took over.
    So most likely, Intel 80286 16bit - 5, 8 or 10MHz. <= 1024Kb RAM. EGA or VGA graphics.

It also looks like it's got 30 pin SIMM memory on there, a few years back a computer shop bought 1.5mb of 30 pin SIMMs off me for £15 as aparently they're rare, I don't know if thats still the case, but you should look into that.

As for modding, theres quite a bit of potential there, the case is quite shallow, so you might need a slim PSU, You'd probably be able to get a smallish regular ATX motherboard in there.
    I think the shape and size make it ideal for an HTPC, you might be able to squeeze an LCD in where the 3 1/2 drive is now, with a DVD drive underneath.

7. The_Dude2040

The_Dude2040 What's a Dremel?

i had a case like that, well big old desktop case and it did turn out ok (apart form it didn't work lol) buy yeah your ideas soung good. your going to have to make a new back for it and maybe use half hight pci stuff because looks a little short, could be wrong but i cant tell the hight that well.

anyway looks like a good project.

8. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

Oh yeah something else, anyone know what that silver stuff is you can see on the last pic on the inside of the 'cover' for the comp? It's like thin alumium or something, some kind of shielding?

Is it ok to cut it out :)?

9. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

We had a bunch (more than 30) of those back in high school, the teacher gave them out at the end of the year. It isnt tall enough for a standard pci card and could just barley fit a standard P/S. You could make it into a just above dell computer only because you cant fit anything big in it, I use a fx 5200 in one of my old ones that I think might be the right size if you cut off the brace because the card itself is short. I think cooling itself would be a problem because of the few vents in it, if you decide to do anything good luck.

If you can turn it into a decent comp please make a project log.

10. pingthepiratehobo

pingthepiratehobo What's a Dremel?

could build something using a mobo with everything onboard, abit makes an nf-2 board on socket a that has a geforce 4 onboard- you can get pretty low profile pci cards too- wouldnt even need to make a new pci bracket then, just make in-case extenders with new ports on the front- grab a ruler and post a picture with dimensions overlaid?

11. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

It is some sort of shielding, just like a microsoft xbox. It has the same shielding. Ive taken the shield out of my xbox with no reprocution whatsoever. just make sure that if anything in the comp touches it, you need to make sure that the metal is not used for a common grounding device.

12. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Nah!! i had a bunch of those the reflective alu serves no purpose what so ever, mabe RF shield or something but you know these days we all have microwave and a cell. i dont think taking that off will melt any part of you :hehe: :hehe:

13. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

^ :hehe: :hehe:

That's what I was thinking, because no new comps I've seen have that stuff so I wouldn't think it would be important, so that's cool :D