1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paypal Scam??? Help Me Please!!

Discussion in 'General' started by atanum141, 28 Nov 2005.

1. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

i just got this in my hotmail account..i donno if this is true or not of if its one of those scams to get my account details....
    can someone shed any light on this???
    p.s. the email came from: PayPal Billing Center. <service@paypal.com>

p.p.s: also this small thing was blocked by hotmail as it is harmfull apprently:pE_999_444_0999.jpg.exe (5k)

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Nov 2005
  2. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

id say its ********.

3. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

We had a similar email come to us about how the paypal account credit card on file might have been tampered with and that we need to input our information quickly, etc... I checked it out and no links or buttons worked on the site and it came from a dummy site... Stupid, retarded scammers...

4. atanum141

just went on me paypal account...and nothing has been mentioned or said on me log-in screen....this is the first time anything like this has happened.....
    p.s. the mail came into me hotmail account but my paypal is linked to me yahoo account doh! :wallbash:

5. dannyqball

dannyqball What's a Dremel?

OMG we were just talking about this at dinner the other day. Sounds to me like it's the same thing my mom came across.
    It was an email telling her that her account was going to expire and they wanted to update her credit card information. If she would have given it to them they could have taken her card info and went on a shopping spree.
    DO NOT REPLY, you could lose everything.

6. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Whenever I get one of those, I login to paypal and see. If they're not asking for the same thing, I delete it. Sorted.

7. fatty

fatty Minimodder

I think if paypal wants anything they will ask in your paypal account any emails I treat as spam

8. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Yup, it'll be Spam ;)

9. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

there is a simply way to instantly verify *ANY* paypal email.

in your paypal options, choose 'plain text' as your email format. ive never seen a single scammer email tht doesnt use all the fancy paypal logo's and stuff. if i get a plaintext email, it cant contain any 'clickable' urls, so i can see the entire url *before* i go visit it. if the email is html, its a scammer, if its in plaintext, its usually from paypal, and looking at the urls they provide will confirm it.

10. atanum141

it is weird but i havent recieved any such problems before and also i have a debit card with me account not a credit card....and also my main email address for paypal is my yahoo account not my hotmail(i dont think i even have my hotmail address added).....also with all paypal emails i have gotten its allways with their sign and pretty looking....and also ive checked my account and i didnt get any warnings...so its most likley spam/scam...

11. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

By the way, you said you deleted the numbers for your protection. But look at the file that Hotmail said was dangerous. I'd be willing to place my bets that the filename is the same as the numbers in the email. But yeah, I do the same thing as above. anything that comes from paypal (unless it is payment confirmation) I treat as spam.

~Adam

12. atanum141

just to confirm i only have 1 email with my paypal..so scammage..so watch out people!...

also ill check those numbers..

EDIT:this is my Case ID Number: PE-901-449-020
    IT is the same numbers in the .EXE file they sent with the email..PE-901-449-020.jpg.exe (< 0.01 MB)

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I don't think it's even a scam to get you to visit the site, it's an attempt to worry you enough to click on the attached virus/trojan.

*.jpg.exe is a naughty name. :eeek:

14. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

Also, When paypal contacts you, they will usually start the message as Dear *insert paypal username here*, not Dear paypal user.

You can go here for more information.

15. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

blatant scam

16. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I get these emails all the time. They are fake!

17. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Good lord, can we get a freaking PAYPAL scam sticky? It seems like a new thread is started at least once a month.

18. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Yeah. It's a scam. Check they paypal website. They normally don't send you crap-mails like this either. Also the attached file is as dodgy as it can get .jpg.exe.. common. thats not even trying.

L

19. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

go to paypals website right away and then go to their contacts page to report phishing and possible scams. You give them the link and the information in the email and they will contact you with in about 24 hours max to tell you if it is or isnt legitamate. Happened to me last week and they told me not to follow the links and they would look into it further to shut the false links down.

20. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Just log in to the website. Same goes for everything really. If it's important then you will see when you log in.