1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT OR TFT? need advice...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PA!N, 2 Dec 2005.

1. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Christmas is coming near and my 6 year old 19" CRT monster is THAT close
    on dieing :waah: so I'm gonna wish me a new monitor...
    I ask myself the question that is being discussed everywhere on the forum
    CRT or TFT? I want it prettey much for gaming!
    A CRT would be nice because it displays high resolutions (1600*1200 etc.)
    on the other hand TFT's are just sexy and soooo small if I go for a TFT I would
    prop. wish me that new benq 2ms thingy...
    what do you guys think?
    please help...

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I have both a CRT and a TFT, both the same size.

Basically, when I'm gaming I can't tell the difference :geek:

It's an 8ms Samsung, and you only really notice the difference in excel, something most gamers don't really care about :naughty:

I kinda miss 1600*1200, but I still prefer the TFT, purely for aesthetics.

3. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

I got a 17" 16ms Hitachi in 2002 when 16ms was being considered the first really gamable response time. I love it and will never go back to a CRT.

Just go for a 19" with a low response time since they're cheap enough. Most, if not all, the 17" and 19" panels are limited to 1280 x 1024 and the next size up is a 1600 x 1200. There's a somewhat large price jump from 19" to 20.1" though :blah: and 16ms seems to be the lowest on them.

4. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

it's all down to personal preference really - i have a tft and love it, it's 19" and although the resolution is the same as most 17" screens i find everything to be a perfect size and its v easy on the eye.

I play a lot of online games - mainly cs:s and quake 4, and I dont nice any ghosting (my tft is rated at 12ms).

The real disadvantage with TFTs wrt gaming is the inability to change the resolution. If you have a 7800GTX of something then unless you get a 20" panel you really arn't going to be taking advantage of it.
    Also, TFTs don't produce perfect blacks (due to the backlighting) which doesnt bother me but it may you.

Look around, try and see if you can demo some to see how you find them :)

5. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

i've got the 193n, and i love it, my house mate has a 21" flat screen crt at work, n loves it but he asked for a tft for his bday, i recomended mine, he brought it, then decided he didnt like it and sent it back, he then went on to ebay and brought the same monitor he has at work, its ****ing huge! but he loves it, he's likes the old CS:S n other games, spec wise its similar to my sig. I play the same games, i much preffer my tft, its personal choice i guess but i dont get headaches from my tft!

6. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

one thing, my monitor costs £200, his one cost £60 and its in perfect working order (unlike my back when i put it inplace for him whilst he was at work)

7. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Get another CRT. May not last as long as a TFT, but if you've ever tried playing a game at 1280x960 on a TFT who's max res is 1280x1024, it looks absolutly awful.

With a CRT, It doesn't.

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Do you mean the 913N? If so, it's the one I have, it is nice... :)

9. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Thx for the replys so far guys :clap:
    Sam0r I tried hl2 Lost coast and bf2 both at 1280x1024 / 1600x1200
    and I dont see that much of a diffrence...there is one of course
    but it doesn'n bother me THAT much...the thing is that I go quite often to LAN's
    and I always cry when I have to move my CRT around because it is F******
    heavy :hehe:

10. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

same here... when I got my tft I kinda became allergic to crt and can't use them for longer periods anymore

11. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I personally have no problems at all gaming on my TFT; I've set the brightness down, which helps with the darks a bit - full brightness hurts my eyes anyway. There's no noticable ghosting, and - of course - the screen looks great.

12. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

aaaah samsung 913N
    FANTASTIC monitor!
    (by the way, how many of you guys have got dead pixels?!) that was my main worry when i was switching from crt to tft, i used to have an old dell 15" trinitron, served me well for the 15quid i paid for it! and then the cable started playing up, used to have to twist it a certain way to get it to display properly, in the end gave up and just bought the samsung! FANTASTIC TFT!

13. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

anything from samsung, the one i have, see sig, i love, although it cant do high resolutions, it looks smooth and i have had no problems with it.

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

People always seem to make a big fuss about not running at the native resolution gaming... I can set mine to scale in the same aspect ratio (as I have a widescreen) and honestly the picture doesn't look much the worse for it, and it's actually playable. They're also always a 'square' picture (ie, flat sides, not aspect ratio, whereas CRTs need tons of adjustment) and you can run at 60Hz without causing mental instability.

I bought a 15" LCD back in '02 I'd guess, probably 25ms response and I never noticed ghosting. Upgraded to a 19" Samsung CRT for the better res, great thing but puts out a ton of heat and is freakin' huge. Currently running a Dell 2005FPW (20" WS), rated 12ms response I think, and I absolutely love it. If I had to find a fault I'd say the lack of component-in, but as most don't even have the S-video or composite that it has (in addition to dvi and vga of course) I can't really call it a fault. Big, lots of features, almost always on sale for an awesome price (I paid under $400 shipped). No dead pixels on any LCD I've used, save some 10-year-old laptop and a $20 PS1 screen that was on clearance. Our school put TFTs in the new lab and I haven't noticed dead pixels on any.

In any case, more and more companies are adoping a no dead pixels warrantee, so I wouldn't obsess about it.

Short version: go TFT.

15. Howitzerflagz

Howitzerflagz What's a Dremel?

>Tft no doubt it i hav a 17" benq 12ms recently buyed and i always had been from the crt team now i switch over no look back ! :p

16. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Just got a 915n and I love it. Takes some fiddleing to get it too look just the way you want it to, but thats ok because the pay-off is huge.