1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Planning Project: Rip-off

Discussion in 'Modding' started by emj1s, 3 Dec 2005.

1. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

2. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Dont think so, motors are made to turn one way... aren't they :worried:

3. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Some motors, if you wire the 12v to the ground line, and the ground to the 12v line, will spn backwards. I have yet to see a PC fan that does that, however. Sorry.

4. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

what if i dissasemble it. cut off the support piece and refix it on th other side of the blades would that reverse the flow?

5. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?

take it apart and stick the motor upside down? or have it on the outside?

6. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

if you took the fan blade off and flipped it over that should reverse the blowing direction. might be hard to do though. i would put it on the outside if possible. if having it sticking off the back of your computer a nusance stick it to the side and make some clever ductwork to get air into the case.

7. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

well see, this is going to be a "rip-off" of zapwizards ammo pc. so it sticking out is not a possibility.

Zapwizard don't worry, credit will be given.

8. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Why not just use it as an exhaust?

9. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

well, im trying to keep this version, totaly water-proof. One reason for that is, my previous rig was destroyed by hurricane Katrina(i lived in new orleans). But in oreder to do that ther has to be some major airflow. there is going to be 4 fans: 2 60mm, and 2 slot fans. there will be 2 40mm fans in the lid for a lcd screen that will be mounted there.

10. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

water-proof? nothign with airflow is waterproof

11. mattthegamer463

maybe it can be sealed watertight when not on, but when you use it you open a bunch of hatches or doors with O rings on their edges so the fans can get air in but keep water and stuff out. might work, although if its in a hurricane it still probably wont make it if its washed away or crushed by your house falling on it.

12. Timmee

Timmee What's a Dremel?

Why not water-cool it. :D

You might try routing all your intake/exhaust ports so that they'll be covered up by the end caps. That way, when the system isn't in use, you can close the endcaps and protect the system from the elements.

13. mattthegamer463

reinforce the case with steel tubing on the outside, like a external roll cage. thatd be cool.

14. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

Well the box is crush proof already. i found a large pothole, put the box in, and drove my car over it a couple of times. Not a problem. There are two hatches, one in front and one in the back. Its the same box as zapwizards. pictures will come later. I thought fo water cooling but thats kinda scary for a portable computer, and ive never done it so id need ALOT of help and assurance that nothing would go wrong, ya know? This computer is already at $1500 and i still dont think im done.

15. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

And this time the computer will be compact enough for me too take. all i could take last time due to clothes and everything was my harddrive.

16. Timmee

Timmee What's a Dremel?

If you're going to be relying on the rubber seals on the 2 hatches (for waterproofing), make sure they're in good shape. I bought one because I was interested in it for geo-caching, but never ended up using it for such (the guy down at the military surplus store near me says the seals in these type of ammo boxes are prone to leaks).

17. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

I have tested water proofing with water on the outside, inside, and under pressure. It is a basic desired feature. It is definatley not going to be purposley put into test one any hardware is installed.

18. mattthegamer463

see, what you did was sensible. for me i would be like "clothes? i dont need those! now, help me get my 15 computers into the car..." my priorities are a little screwed, but i honestly cant think of anything else i would take. i have almost nothing thats really valuable or important other than my computers and my 2 cats. before someone comments on what i said, yes i am pathetic and messed in the head.

19. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

to tell you the truth i thought that myself, Its just the other 3 people in the car didnt think my way so at least i got something.

20. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

I need some help, What material can be easily made, molded, whatever. And can be given the look and feel of plastic? Cheap too, lol.