1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News First man sues Microsoft over Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 5 Dec 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

And because this has happens, how many more lawsuits are going to spring up?

I blame Microsoft, they rushed the 360 (which the article also suggests) and now it's bugged with problems. Glad Sony are taking their time with the PS3.

But can you really sue because you've got a faulty product, if MS offers a replacement or refund, what they are doing is within the law, so the guy might not have a case.

3. The_Maker

The_Maker What's a Dremel?

Wow...

They had it coming.
    If I spent 400$ on a gaming console and it didn't work I would be ticked off too =/

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Where I work, we had a 360 game come back in scratched to all hell (like, .5mm deep scratch, not wiped it with a paper towel scratch) that was clearly made by the console. First incident I've heard of about that though. However, tack that onto overheating, general glitchiness and PC graphics still pwning (finally saw it in high-def action, utterly unimpressed, but FEAR has a way of doing that), and you have excellent reason for a lawsuit.

Of course, I really doubt it's illegal, and he only stands a chance of winning if he's a college kid who needed to teach himself law (can't be bothered to find a link, google it, something involving ebay and returns). If MS can't provide a replacement in a reasonable amount of time, though, he might have a shot.

That said, I'd still rather risk $400+games+S&D+gouging+etc on a 360 than even think about buying anything else by Sony now.

5. shadow46x2

shadow46x2 What's a Dremel?

Didn't this happen with the original xbox?...and weren't the "replacements" somewhat faulty as well? You'd think...new console...new equipment....yay for MS using the same crap on the old systems as the new

--j

6. TheMightySpud

TheMightySpud Boy Genius

I've been reading a lot about scratched disks today, they seem to be popping up all over the place....

Maybe a repeat of the i-Pod Nano debacle.....

I suppose it's what you get when you try to beat everyone to the punch, you pay a greater price in the long run.

TheMightySpud

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's suggested that around 3% have problems, and yea I'd be pissed too but MS are saying they will replace any faulty ones stright away (i read) which is fair enough. I expect that there will be some Sony and Ninty RMAs too.

8. dom_

dom_ --->

(on the news front page you spelt microsoft Mlcrosoft in the description)

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

How the hell can you sue for a faulty product, if replace or refund is offered.

Going too far, it will get to a point that it won't be worthwile for companies to sell stuff, damned ambulance chaser lawyer types.

10. lepre

lepre Minimodder

a lawsuit for a bugged console? come on
    microsoft always replace falty hw.
    i think they hoped the console to be faulty so they could maybe be payed for moral damages? :D

11. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I think the problem is more in the fact that stores are getting upset with having to replace dead consoles and buggered disks. I've read that some places have stopped replacing these scratched disks, maybe this is why the kid started a class action lawsuit?

It would be different if you could actually -get- a replacement. Were talking about a console that is sold out EVERYWHERE, and you cant get a free replacement via ebay. Even if the store wanted to give them a replacement console, there is no way in hell they would be able too.

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Regardless, I'm sure a refund will be available if the console is faulty, to sue is just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lame.

13. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

Haha, i doubt they would be giving refunds. They wont even let people who pre-ordered there xbox360's way back when, and wont get them till the second shipment have a refund. All there offering is in-store credit.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Software, Games on DVDs is down to the retailers or software companies to replace. It doesnt matter if the hardware is sold out cause MS have said they will RMA them directly from MS (at least in merkia).

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Must be different over in the States, as over here if the product is faulty it's a replacement or refund, in store credit can be declined in favour of refund or replace.

16. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Easily so, as my friend did with his DS after there were countless dead pixels on it.

17. I_Slider_I

I_Slider_I What's a Dremel?

...and i'm still trying to convince my buddy that it's not worth buying them for a few more months until the next revision comes out.

18. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

glitching xbox 360 here, but just like the original, i got free shipping, to and from the repair center and had my 360 back within a week.

19. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

I don't get this country anymore :confused: I mean what gives you the right to sue someone for faulty equipment if they agree to replace it for you.

20. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Tags: Add Tags