1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks WTF? My laptops falling apart!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by P2D, 21 Nov 2005.

1. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Ive had my new laptop for just over a month now, and it hasnt really travelled anywhere asyet. Yesterday i decided to flip it over and actually look properly at the case, only to notice that it has 2 screws missing, meaning you can pry half of the case off revealing the innards! Pretty damn annoyed i continued my inspection, only to find that the whole case had started to crack and break around the DVDRW area of the case, meaning a slight knock would rip the other half of the case off that was actually screwed down. To say im extremely annoyed would be an understatement! i plan on backing up all my data tomorrow, and taking a trip to PC World to tell them exactly what i think of their dodgy laptops, and where they can shove it, too! When i demand (And get) my £1,000 back, i will NEVER spend another penny in PC World as long as i live.

Altho in other threads i said "Advent" was a good make, i was obviously very, very wrong. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!.

Mike

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I'm just suprised you didn't notice this was happening, and good luck getting the £1000 back.

3. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Well i never noticed because its all happening on the bottom, and im much more interested in whats on the screen, so i only had a quick glance under it when i first got it, altho i did notice one screw missing back then, altho i was too excited to really care, so both screws may have been missing since then. i'm really annoyed about it now! if you work @ PC World, Grimsby, dont go to work tomorrow unless you want to get shouted at.

4. Antimerc191

Antimerc191 What's a Dremel?

RE:Laptop

Thats gotta suck, use some duct tape that always works :p

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

What laptop is it?

And I had an experience last february when my laptop was starting to fall apart after 11 months, it was sent off for repair about 5 times, but they did not do anyway, so I went to PCworld, at first they refused to change the laptop, so I boycotted the store until closing time. The manager agreed to look at the repair details and realised the problem hasn't been solved. He gave me a new widescreen laptop and chucked in a pen drive :)

I have a feeling PCWorld will be giving you a new laptop, in my experience they tend to change new laptops if you take them back within a few weeks.

6. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

That nearly made me fall off my chair.

But if it is within a month, the store has to prove that the item was not faulty when they sold it to you.

But in this particular case, it could look like you were attempting some DIY repair job or something. Talk to them, and be polite about it. Getting angry and shouting at them wont do much good. If they dont help you, you could contact Trading Standards and ask for their advice.

7. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I can't see PC World giving your money back in my experience. More likely they'll just give you a new laptop instead and point at their terms and condition notice.

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Advent laptops have really bad support, it can be virtually impossible to find drivers for certain makees and customer support is nil.

Basically Advent belongs to the PCworld/Dixons group, we need say no more :)

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

hah, good luck getting them to do ANYTHING if you just walk in there and start shouting. that just gets them all defensive and unhelpful. believe me, i know.

trick is to be assertive, yet polite.

(oh yeah, i coulda told you, advent laptops suck arse. they always have.)

10. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

thanks for the advice! ill go in "assertive yet polite".

11. koola

koola Minimodder

That just plain sucks :(

Good luck getting your money back, you'll need it with PC World!

12. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Argh PC World have angered me this week too. Went in a couple of weeks ago, ordered and paid for a laptop with upgraded hard drive. They told me it would take 4 days to arrive. A week later I ring up and ask what the hell's going on, apparently the hard drive is on back order, so it'll be another few days. Another week later and I ring up enquiring as to my laptop's whereabouts and the hard drive is STILL on back order, expected in a week.

The worst thing is that for some reason they don't seem to be able to cancel or ammend the order in any way. I would just demand my money back but it's an insurance replacement so I'm not even in control of that :'(

13. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

tards are gonna collect it & fix it for me, great.

14. 1e8o

1e8o What's a Dremel?

yep, if you can't fix it with duck tape than its broken

15. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Lol sukka,

I bought an Advent about 5 years ago and ive had a few problems too, so far ive had 3 x new dvd/cdrw drives, 2 x keyboard adjustments (it was marking the screen) and 3 x the connection between the screen and mobo resoldered. Im sooooo glad I took out the extended warrenty.

They will only ever fix it, its gotta be totally way past unfixable for them to give you a new lappy, trust me ive tried.

Now ive got a dead pixel which is not going to get fixed because they will have a policy of a minimum numberof dead pixels befor they fix it.

Note to everyone else: DONT BUY ADVENT!!!!

edit: could this be karma for your xbox 360 stunt????

16. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

hope not :worried:

17. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

So i got my Laptop back today, and its taken them a week to put in 2 screws,and NOT fix the damn crack i was more bothered about! Deffo not happy. Gonna take it back to PC World again and demain a refund this time, Not fobbing me off with "repairs" again.

18. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Just so you know they are actually legally obliged to give you a refund in your situation. If a fault develops within 6 months of purchase it is legally classed as "faulty at purchase" and the retailer *has* to give a refund.

And if there is some small print in their terms and conditions saying they don't give refunds, that's even more illegal and they should be reported to trading standards.

In short, you're owed your money by them. Don't take anything else for an answer. If you need to, print out this page and show it to them, particularly the content under the heading "What are you entitled to ask for?".

Good luck, and let us know how you get on :)

Sam

19. PrEpArE 2 cRy

PrEpArE 2 cRy Banned

my Advent laptop pwns harhar!

j/k, hope u get it fikts cuz broken stuff sux :(

20. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

pc world gonno get owned by p2d tbh :p