1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Computer desk (11 dec 05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vidar, 11 Dec 2005.

1. Vidar

Vidar What's a Dremel?

It started almost a year ago when i got an desk from friend dating ~1940. I had grown tierd of the noise and looks of a computer so i decided to hide it and try to make it quiet.

[​IMG]
    As you can see it has the slight bend, typical for the time.
    [​IMG]
    I started with unskrewing the top and sawing up a hole in the top.
    [​IMG]

Making the holes in the bottom for air in/outlet
    [​IMG]
    First testrun. It strated fine. Back then it was a P2 running att 450Mhz...
    [​IMG]

First stage finished:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Vidar

Vidar What's a Dremel?

For quite long period it looked like this:

[​IMG]
    The power / reset-buttons were turned in a slight reddish wood. Al in swedish.
    [​IMG]
    (my old JOS hanging in the USB-contact)

The HDDs were standing on a airduct, working quite well butt not beautiful..
    [​IMG]

3. Vidar

Vidar What's a Dremel?

After a while i started feeling how terrible slow it was so i made i deal with my brother who could by cheap parts via his job. I made most of the programming for his weddingsite as half of the payment...

Now its a P4, 2.4 Ghz, 512 Mb, 80 Gb + 250Gb s-ata and on-board graphics and sound. I dont play any games so i dont need a fancy/expensive graphics card... Wireless mouse and keyboard was the best spent $35 i ever made.
    [​IMG]

The HDDs are now mounted between rubbersheets to eliminate the vibrations. There are two fans (with a good airfilter) under them to keep them cool and it works fine. Case temperature is normally around 30-35 C. The potensiometers are for controlling the speed of the out/in - fans. Primitive but vorks fine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now its wired so a relay controls the power to the monitor and the amplifier, only has to turn on the coumputer and all the other things start ass well.

The black box on top is my Harman Cardon amplifier that i integrated i my quest for getting rid of annoying thing that take more place than they need. It fitted within a cm!
    [​IMG]

I admitt its still not beautiful but that was never the goal of this project. Quiet and low cost was two of them as well at hiding ugly stuff.

I the future i will build a nice front for it, probably using teak veneer. The volumecontrol for the amp vill be somwhere on the front and some time after christmas i will finally by a flastscreen... The monitor i use now has a good picture but its terrible big and ugly!

4. Vidar

Vidar What's a Dremel?

Hello!

This is the disscussion for
    my tread.

It started almost a year ago when i got an desk from friend dating ~1940. I had grown tierd of the noise and square and gray looks of a computer so i decided to hide it and try to make it quiet.

[​IMG]
    As you can see it has the slight bend, typical for the time.
    [​IMG]
    I started with unskrewing the top and sawing up a hole in the top.
    [​IMG]

Making the holes in the bottom for air in/outlet
    [​IMG]
    First testrun. It strated fine. Back then it was a P2 running att 450Mhz...
    [​IMG]

5. Vidar

Vidar What's a Dremel?

First stage finished:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Vidar

Vidar What's a Dremel?

For quite long period it looked like this:

[​IMG]
    The power / reset-buttons were turned in a slight reddish wood. Al in swedish.
    [​IMG]
    (my old JOS hanging in the USB-contact)

The HDDs were standing on a airduct, working quite well butt not beautiful..
    [​IMG]

7. Vidar

Vidar What's a Dremel?

After a while i started feeling how terrible slow it was so i made i deal with my brother who could buy cheap parts via his job. I made most of the programming for his weddingsite as half of the payment...

Now its a P4, 2.4 Ghz, 512 Mb, 80 Gb ata + 250Gb s-ata and on-board graphics and sound. I dont play any games so i dont need a fancy/expensive graphics card... But wireless mouse and keyboard was the best spent $35 i ever made.
    [​IMG]

The HDDs are now mounted between rubbersheets to eliminate the vibrations. There are two fans (with a good airfilter) under them to keep them cool and it works fine. Case temperature is normally around 30-35 C. The potensiometers are for controlling the speed of the out/in - fans. Primitive but vorks fine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now its wired so a relay controls the power to the monitor and the amplifier, only has to turn on the coumputer and all the other things start ass well.

The black box on top is my Harman Cardon amplifier that i integrated i my quest for getting rid of annoying thing that take more place than they need. It fitted within a cm!
    [​IMG]

I admitt its still not beautiful but that was never the goal of this project. Quiet and low cost was two of them as well at hiding ugly stuff.

I the future i will build a nice front for it, probably using teak or walnut veneer. The volumecontrol for the amp vill be somewhere on the front and some time after christmas i will finally by a flastscreen... The monitor i use now has a good picture but its terrible big and ugly!