1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is faster? Xbox 360 or PS3?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dark6, 19 Oct 2005.

1. mr_car

mr_car What's a Dremel?

:D PS3 is definatly fast, soem of teh xbox people are making a big deal over the bandwidth being better, but thats not as important as the CPU and GPU area of the system, the ps3 beats xbox 360 on the cpu and gpu area, and with a 80 percent better total output, its gotta be better, the xbox 360 puts out 1 Tflop and the ps3 at 1.8Tflops, thats definatly gotta say something :D

2. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

PS3 beats down 360 no contest. Not only is it faster, even it's optical medium is superior Blu Ray compared to what DVD 9. PS3 wins hands down. And WTF happened to that supposed magical HD DVD drive thats Bill Gates promised us for the XBox. It's just like Microsoft to build a half assed system just like their OS's thats suppose to be next gen. Watch when PS3 rolls out Microsoft will come out a Xbox 360 Pro/Sp2 with HD DVD compatibility then all you suckers who bought the 360 will have to upgrade. Keep tooting the 360s horn now we'll see who's crying when your 1000 dollar Ebay machine can't play anything higher than a 8 gig DVD 9, and the PS3 is spinning all the latest 30 gig disks. Then microsoft will say sorry guys but you're just gonna have to buy the new 360 pro/sp2 to play HD disks.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2005
  3. Fiver

Fiver What's a Dremel?

MS have denied that they'll be making a hdvdvddddvhd version.

So sometime next year then..

4. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Yeah they deny the HD-DVD versin like they denied that the 360 would be out back in November.

5. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I laughed so hard, milk came shooting out my nose.

6. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

haha u suck, and why do you automatically think we bought our consoles from e-bay?

Ice

7. s29feb

s29feb What's a Dremel?

Bloody hell all the way from your udders to your nose must have been a belly laugh :jawdrop:

8. ek-hat

ek-hat What's a Dremel?

If you were to go and do your research on the Cell processor, which is a revolutionary processor that is going to be used in the Playstation 3 and made by IBM, you would without doubt believe that PS3 is going to kick XBOX360's ass power-wise.

An explanation of the Cell: blackford.info/computer/cell/
    A demonstration of the PS3 with the Cell processor and RSX GPU: gamespot.com/news/2005/SonyE3 - and click "Watch" to stream the conference.

To give you an example of how powerful the PS3 is with the Cell, the Cell is capable of processing away millions of leaves in it's realistic physics programmed movements and with an audio channel channel for each and every leaf (yep, that's right :clap: :)).
    To settle it straight... the Cell on it's own will still mean the PS3 is many times faster and have twice as better graphics without even the help by the RSX GPU.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2005
  9. riggs

riggs ^_^

There seems to be a lot of talk about Blue-Ray and HD-DVD, but I don't understand how you can judge M$ for not including a next-gen drive.
    Think about it - how many games do you own that span multiple DVD's? Probably none.

By the time HD-DVD and Blue-Ray are actually a de-facto standard, we'll be on to the next (next) gen consoles anyway.

A good example is my scenario; I bought my first DVD drive in 1999, but didn't buy a DVD game until Far Cry (every game I had up until that point was on (multiple) CD). That's about 3-5 years for DVD to become a standard storage solution (for games that actually need that amount of space).
    I have yet to see a game that requires a DVD9...and I imagine that PS3 games will probably not use more that 8.5gig for a long time (like I said, by the time they do we'll have the new console in the pipeline anyway).

IMO, the only reason Sony are including a Blue-Ray drive is so they can charge more for the console, and games (seeing as Blue-Ray discs will cost a hell of a lot more to produce).
    You could argue that you'd be able to play Blue-Ray films on the PS3, but why any serious home theatre buff would actually want to do that is beyond me (if I owned a PS3, I'd still go out and buy a dedicated Blue-Ray player).

I admit, the Cell sounds like it could be a hell of a processor - but at the moment, all we've got are potential (paper) specs, and a load of screenshots that may/may not be pre-rendered.
    You've just got to think back to the PS2 launch, and remember how much of a disappointment it was considering the hype and 'official' specs.

10. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

From Hideo Kojima, who knows better than anyone here:

"1UP: It's interesting that you think you could do this [MGS4] on 360, though.

HK: Maybe some nuance or a small details here and there might be different, but I feel that hardware is no longer a matter. I'm just talking about PS3, 360 and PC. Revolution is totally different, but there are really no differences among the other three."

11. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Hollyshit thats a lot of crap you wrote just to make one simple point "30 gigs disks won't be needed for video games" Let me tell you that I'd be willing to bet my pet monkey that very soon after the PS3's release with BluRay console games will start spanning over and beyond 8 gigs in spades. Why, let me explain. We all know that the future of gaming especially console gaming is going HD that means video cut scenes will no longer be SD but will be created to conform to modern HD TV's and hence 1080p. Now with modern gaming everyone expects fancy CGI cut scenes and hour long endings and all that fancy jazz, just look at any Final Fantasy X Games or any new MSG games they got enough footage to fill an mini feature, this trend will only increase with games becoming more and more cinematic and hence longer cut scenes. Now how many minutes of HD cut scenes do you think an 8 gig DVD 9 can hold let me tell you it's somewhere around 30 minutes without any game data and like 15 minutes with game data. Now you try telling pimp daddy Hideo Kojima that you can only have 15 minutes of HD cut scenes in his next MGS game, you try telling any future game designer that you can only 15 minutes of cut scenes and they'll be pissed. My predictions are that if games continue to develop the way they have been with convergence of media and gaming then soon very soon we'll see 30-50 gig console games loaded with hours of beautiful HD cut scenes. Remember gaming is going HD along with everything media and 8 gigs is just not enough to hold abundant HD media. Now with that said wait for the Xbox 360 Pro/Sp2HD to hit shelves soon.

12. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Aside from the fact that MGS has used/will use the ingame graphics engine for cut scenes. Did you even read the quote from HK earlier?

And who in merry hell wants hours of cut scenes?

13. riggs

riggs ^_^

Yeah, because that's what makes a good game...right? The FMV.
    I mean come on...who in their right mind wants to go buy a game and actually play it?! Stuff the actual gameplay, give me cut-scenes any day...

...oh...wait a second...what is it I'm doing when I go to the cinema?

:duh:

14. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Don't know but that seems to be the trend, look at all those new Final Fantasy Games there's like long animated features hidden in each game. If nobody wanted long cut scenes then maybe they'd stop putting them in the games. But from what I can tell they still do and game endings seem to get longer and more cinematic with each generation. I know what your gonna say that they'll do it all with in game polygons but we aren't at the level where polygon count is high enough to completely replace CGI and where not going to be at that stage for a long time, so until then we're still gonna see CGI cut scenes and they're gonna be in HD so it's gonna take more space then before. And in case you haven't heard the idea for new age video game makers is to slowly merge cinematic elements into video games where maybe one day the two will work side by side and with the future being HD you can hardly expect lowly 8 Gig disks to be able to cut it for any media facet including gaming.
    What I believe may end up happening is you may see two versions of many games one produced for PS3 on 1 disk, and a special one produced for Xbox that spans multiple disks. This will especially be true for SquareEnix RPGs I can really see them milking the new 30 gig capacity.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2005
  15. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

who cares about a load of figures???

gameplay>graphics/fancy tech

I know for a fact the xbox 360 will have better quality of games I don't care how much the disk can fit etc I owned an xbox the ps2 may of had more games but 80% of them were pap. Where as the xbox had much more buyable titles what does ps2 have? A half arse effort at a racing sim GT3/4 with no damage and dumbass ai forza wipes the floor with gt theres also mgs which is deemed 'good' but its not its just like a movie with a little interaction with that stupid comm thing too.I cba to list the other crap games sony have allowed to be released on the ps and ps2.

16. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

Whoa xbox fanboy, slow down there. :nono:

17. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

:hehe: I don't own one anymore but if I was to buy a console again i'd get the 360

I just think its the games that count not what it does :D

18. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

Just because you don't own one doesn't mean that you're not a fanboy. Judging by the rant that you posted against the PS2, and considering the fact that you haven't even bought a 360, and that the PS3 isn't out yet, your rant makes you look like a major fanboy.

19. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Wait, everytime you bring this up you only mention one series of games, the FFantasy series...

20. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Well am I wrong! Anyway there's no point in arguing people thought DVD's 4.7 gig capacity was way more than enough for films when DVD first came and then DVD 9 Came out and bonus footage came out and you got every movie coming out on multiple DVD 9s, my point being when the capacity's there people will figure out how to use it and they'll figure it out fast and bonus HD media content is just one example of future gaming. If you don't believe me let's just wait and see if games span towards the 30 gig barrier. If they don't then I'll admit I'm wrong.

Tags: