1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those with Gmail / Google Mail

Discussion in 'General' started by bengaskell, 13 Dec 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bengaskell

bengaskell Banned

You may have heard of Gmail drive. Fasinating little program that easily installs and creates your nice 2000mb "external" storage drive. It can be found in My Computer and works like any other drive, except it uploads/downloads the files to/from your Gmail or Google Mail account. With 10mb limits. Dang.

Well you probably know that and you may know the rest but I thought I would just post this idea:

There may be a 10mb limit but you could technically upload a full program/album/tv show by spanning Zip files. Eg, 40mb Video would be around 4-5 seperate Zip files. Once uploaded, be patient, you could e-mail the full 'whatever' to, well, a hell of alot of people. It's a little more than just like uploading a file to FTP and e-mailing a link because, well... 1) It's free. 2) Once e-mail the recipient(s) will have it on their Gmail drive too! 3) It makes sending an 'original' music album to all your mates easy.

Anyway you may already have a better method for this but hey, at least I spent a little time actually posting.

G'day. :hip:

BG

edit: best include link

link to Gmail Drive Site

Last edited: 13 Dec 2005
  2. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Is there something available that will do the same on os X?

3. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

think this has been mentioned a few times before, used to find it quite handy for sending work back and forth.

4. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

aye, but unless is is saving them as attachments on emails in the draft folder (when viewed from the web) Gmail can/have susppended accounts for using it as a disk drive.

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

That is true, but I've since stopped using it now I've got my own webspace, I find it's faster and more stable to use.

No they don't, you are free to use your Google space for whatever you wish, even for storage. I have spoken to a Google member about this before.

Secondly, theres a mention of Google drive in the Google help section, they don't provide support for it, but say it can be used.

6. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

oh ok :) my bad

7. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I find that you get slow speeds.

8. bengaskell

bengaskell Banned

Yeh there are much better ways to do this kinda thing. But this is a handy thing you technically have with you as long as you have broadband and a computer. Also its free. About OSX theres a similar dinky program that mounts your gmail account in Linux.

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I think Gmail Drive is coded in Python, so you may be able to use it in OS X (Probabily with some minor editing..)

10. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

There's a firefox extension that does that...

11. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

this isnt official google though is it?
    its made a third party company for google or what?
    is it secure?

12. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Far too close to piracy talk for my liking, closing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.