1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem: High Voltage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blaffer4x4, 1 Oct 2005.

1. blaffer4x4

blaffer4x4 What's a Dremel?

Hi. I found out that my PC is doing someting it schouldn't do: putting some power on the whole case! I found out because I wanted something from behind the case and my chin touched the high voltage case. I tell you, no fun! I started searching for the problem and found out that there is only electricity on the case when there is no monitort attached to the videocard. It's a GeForce 6800Ultra from Leadtek. tough I must tell you there is a stand-alone power supply connected to it for pure power. Any sugestions?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Which bit did you touch? What kind of external power source is connected to your 6800? Have you tried it without it connected?

When you touch it, does the computer switch off?

3. blaffer4x4

I touched the case... Without a power soucre connected the computer does not boot...
    It is a simple power supply (the ones you and me are using right now) which is hotwired to run without a motherboard connected (no faults concerning that part, quad-checked).
    When I touch the computer, it keeps happily running and shocking me, as usual...

4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Its not a high voltage shock, youre getting a static charge. If you were getting it right off the machine, the PC would have gone out, and you would probably die a high current death. Whats more likely is that there is a shielding issue; swap out your PSU for a something that isnt going to build up a nasty excess of electrons.

5. blaffer4x4

I found out something more about it. Experimenting with cables and stuff i discovered that it tickles me only when no vga cable is connected. Strange thing is that i've put in a GF4 Ti 4600 and it did the same thing on me, also when no vga cable is connected. Weird...

6. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Yeah mine does that too. Touched the case while the supply was grounded, as well as the metal VGA lead.... BZZZT. Mmmm, coppery taste in mouth.

7. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It's possible that some grounds somewhere are not equal. Are all your appliances earthed?

8. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

the thing about connecting the vga cable is because the cable will be grounded on your monitor end and so grounding your case. there shouldnt be power going through your case, its far more likely youve got a static buildup. as has been mentioned, swop your psu if you can since this is by far the most likely place for it to be coming from.

9. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

I had a similar problem... hell I got heavy electrical shock treatment when toutching the central heating radiator and my case at the same time(by accident) amd I was aware by then that my case was electrified... swapping psu helped solve my problem... apparently when I rma the old one they came to the same conclusion as I did... toast psu(not litterally)

10. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Buy a plastic case!