1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Psone lcd mod help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by qbert3, 19 Dec 2005.

1. qbert3

qbert3 What's a Dremel?

So ive been reading non stop through this forum and ive been following this guide.

http://tidder.rudyatek.com/tidder/lcd/

Im stuck on the part where he says "Now, find which wires go to pins 1,2,3,13,and 14 and write it down". I mean, how I am suppose to find out? I took a picture of where im at, which isnt far at all.

[​IMG]

All ive done so far is remove the casing, cut the vga cable (used a vga extender), did this part and now im like.. ?!?! ive never modded anything before but I wanted this to be my first. Hopefully I can get a little help from you guys.

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Do you have a voltmeter with a continuity setting?

(You pretty much need one, if you don't want to shell out you could rig a temporary one with a torch, so when the two wires tough it completes the circuit and lights up)

Using that, write down the wiring on the vga cable, going from pin to pin and checking the other probe against the bare ends of the cable. Using the diagram from the original thread, figure out where each of the solder points corresponds to on the blue cable. Then it's a simple job of combining the two diagrams to see where each of the VGA wires goes to the blue LCD wires. Solder it up and you're all set.

Welcome to bit-tech and good luck with the mod (It's why I joined too) :)

3. qbert3

qbert3 What's a Dremel?

I dont have a voltmeter :X

I noticed a lot of people have got this mod to work for them, but no one posts pictures showing it off. Is there a gallery for this? id love to see what everyones done. Ive even seen people mentioning "im gonna put this in my headrest" but I still see no pictures..

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Here are mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's no gallery as such, the whole thing's pretty disorganised really, someone needs to start again with all the new additions to the mod, and post a comprehensive guide. It's not an easy mod by far, but you get a lot out of it for just a little money and hours of hard work :D

Try and get a voltmeter though, they can be pretty cheap, and will really help with all electronic mods.

5. qbert3

qbert3 What's a Dremel?

wow I got a superlanboy too and I love that mod. awesome.

6. qbert3

qbert3 What's a Dremel?

7. Timmee

Timmee What's a Dremel?

I chose to use this guide instead, as I somehow misplaced my DMM: http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2004/07/07/psone_lcd/1.html

It's color coded, so it's a bit easier to follow.

8. Westovski

Westovski What's a Dremel?

I'm in exactly the same position, but i don't really understand what you're saying regarding the voltmeter.

Every vga cable i see seems to have different coloured wires?

I know absolutely nothing about wiring, i've got a VGA stripped down with Orange, Yellow, Brown, White, Green, Black standard wires, and then slightly thicker Red/pink, Light Blue and Grey wires...

It's a TFT VGA cable, but i can't see why it would be any different...

And i'm at the same point as qbert3 with the psone screen wires.

I just need to know which wires to attach together.

?

9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

What you have to do is disregard the colours of the wires in the VGA cable.

Using a voltmeter, you can find out which of these wires corresponds to which pin on the VGA connecter. To do this, you set the voltmeter to continuity, and touch one probe to pin one of the VGA connecter. You then go round the exposed wires on the other end of the cable, until the voltmeter beeps. You now know which wire connects to pin 1. Label it and go on to pin 2, continue like this until you have the whole cable labelled.

Do the same using the diagram from the second page of this article, and you can figure out which of the VGA pins goes to which of the exposed LCD wires.

Once you have all that information, you can start to solder the wires from the VGA cable to the wires from the LCD.

The part to keep in mind is to label everything, be thorough, and keep good diagrams of which wires go where :)

10. Westovski

That's excellent mate, thanks very much, i think i get it now!

...I believe my Grandad has a voltmeter in his shed, is there anywhere in particular i could get a cheap one that would be suitable if not?

11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Maplin have tons of them, just get a cheapie, it'll do everything you need. There are also a lot on ebay, the only feature you really need for this particular mod is continuity, being able to measure voltages is helpful too. You're probably looking at £5 - £10 :thumb:

Edit: something like this.

12. qbert3

qbert3 What's a Dremel?

awesome, I should be receiving a meter soon. thanks for the info!. nice mod too! wish I knew how to cut like that.

13. Westovski

One more thing, regarding the pins on the VGA cable, how do you know which pin corresponds with which wire, i.e. 15 pins on the VGA cable, but only 9 Wires.

So in order to solder the four LCD wires to the 9 VGA wires i need to test using a voltmeter to prove...

Apologies if my questions are painfully noobish, i've never done any electronic work before and it would appear that it was probably a good thing.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

This diagram
    [​IMG]
    shows which of the VGA pins connects to which of the connecters on the midway PCB. Again using the voltmeter you find out which of the pins on the screen connect to which of the pins on the midway PCB you can figure out how the whole thing connects. This lets you bypass the midway PCB, connecting the LCD wiring directly to the VGA cable.

So in short:
    1.Label the VGA wires
    2.Make a diagram of the connections on the PCB
    3.Combine the diagram with the one above
    4.Solder the VGA cable to the screen

15. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

im gonna be working on moding a lanboy soon, was gonna put a smaller LCD in the 3.5" bays and put a mesh grill over the whole front of the door and put a 120mm radiator in the 5.25" bays. the power switch is gonna be where the drawr is, its gonna have a pushbutton with a key ignition disable.

but so this isnt an off topic rant, i was also concidering instead of doing the LCD in the front, possibly using a PSOne LCD on the side behind the mobo and covering the screen with translucent black plexy.... which do you think would be easier.

and if your curious, the CD/DVD drive is going to be a slimline mounted verticly where the Antec logo is next to the 5.25" bays. for those that know the layout of the superlanboy.

but that project will pick up after X-Mas. i need some parts for it so i know how its gonna layout. still have to make the ATi vs. nVidia decision

Last edited: 20 Dec 2005
  16. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

just to add, i know it wont really fit with the room that is there, so ill have to raise the side out alittle more to fit the PSOne LCD

17. HowY

HowY What's a Dremel?

18. Westovski

Right, let me get this straight before I electrocute myself.

First of all, i need to plug the bare vga cable into the vga cable port on my pc whilst it's on, then test each of the bare wires with a voltmeter to get the voltage and mark it down.

I then plug the psone screen in so it's powered up also, and then do the same with that.

Then i compare the voltages and connect the relevant wires together (obviously once it is switched off).

19. qbert3

qbert3 What's a Dremel?

i got all the equipment i need to complete this. just gotta stop being lazy.

one thing has been annoying me about the screen. the power seems to be VERY sensitive. sometimes i have to move things around a bit just to get any power.

20. foundsoul

foundsoul What's a Dremel?

if i am right a voltmeter on continuity setting, use this picture below for what the pin outs on the end of the cable.attach the one end of the voltmeter to 1st pin of the end of the vga cable. take the other end of the voltmeter and poke each wire on the other end untill you have a change in the display of the voltmeter. make sure that the 1 end of the voltmeter isn't touching any other pins just 1 on the vga cable do 1 at a time and use tape on each wire labeling it 1, 2, 3 and so on till you get to 15.

[​IMG]