1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Gentoo Linux?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mante, 20 Dec 2005.

1. Mante

Mante What's a Dremel?

Hi everybody !! This is my first post and i am from Argentina so i don't speak so well english(i speak spanish :p).... Can any of you guys tell how is this version of linux (gentoo).... because i was reading and looks coll but i don't have any idea how it works
    Thanks for understand me

2. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I use it. so does Goat, and a few other on here.
    Honestly i love it i can't give one specific resaion why i like it but if i had to i'd say Portage and Emerge

3. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

The one thing I do'nt like about gentoo is that you have to compile everything before you use it. It makes it run Way fast, but it's extremely time consuming.

4. pat1

pat1 What's a Dremel?

I have tried many many distros, but my favorite is definintely gentoo. Portage is great...

Also, they have such a great community on their forums. If you ever have a problem, you can find the answer there

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

you dont have to compile everything first, you can do a stage 3 install then install stuff from binaries if you like
    kinda defeats the object of gentoo though..

6. Mante

Mante What's a Dremel?

Thanks guy i'll try it an then i tell you what i think !

7. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

Just for clarification, installing from stage 1 or 2 has no advantage over stage 3 for normal installations.

8. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

i installed from a stage3, and got up to the install bootloader/first reboot step.
    no network connection, and my lilo prompt delay was .15 seconds instead of 15 ...

it can be frustrating ... but for some reason i cant get a distro with a graphical installer to work on my system. tried opensuse, 3 different mandrakes, both from cd and dvd .. i'm guessing it's the shiny new x850pro in there ...

9. HapeMask

HapeMask What's a Dremel?

I've been using gentoo for about a year, and I'd say the nicest thing is portage. Yes it compiles from source by default, but that is the point of gentoo in the first place, and I love being able to just pick a package I need and emerge it without worrying about dependencies. Especially for running Blender (3d software) I notice a definite rendering speedup between rendering the same file on windows and gentoo. If you don't like using a cmd line however, I'd suggest you skip gentoo.

10. BobCobb

BobCobb What's a Dremel?

Gentoo has treated me well. And the command line is your friend.

11. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I used Gentoo for a few times (installed about 6 times). Once you get around the slightly more complex nature, it's really a great linux distro. Emerge is just fantastic.
    I recommend you know linux at least a little before trying, I've screwed up my system many a time (even after I knew gentoo).

It is fast though, and thread management is brilliant, I had no trouble compiling (using both cores), chatting via IM and browsing all at the same time.

12. Elv13

Elv13 What's a Dremel?

I am using gentoo since september.

Before, i had to use windows because always somethings were not working. Now i am going to delete windows, because in gentoo i add to configure everyting manually, everything work. Definitivly, gentoo is the best distro for my computer

Tags: