1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Actually, get a female to female vga cable and solder the wires to the pins, the diagram is on the psone guide (it's reverse to what you see). If you have dvi you will need an adaptor, which should come with the graphics card.

2. Big SturL

Big SturL What's a Dremel?

My question is how on earth can anyone really solder on such confined space? I'm of course talking about soldering the wires to the pins in the VGA connector. I have a big "old" $10 solderiron, which has a tip that's about 0,5cm wide, will this be too big?

3. knightyc

knightyc CPC refugee

one last question. as im in the uk an use PAL do i have to use pin 9 as its hard finding a cable with this pin??

thanks for this MrWillyWonka i must sound like a right nOOb

4. MrWillyWonka

It is a small area to work with, you need a smaller tip, 0.5cm is way too big. I have a 1mm tip, and it works well!

You do need to use the DCC for the screen backlight, check out the 4th picture and the text above it on my guide here to figure out how to get around it. It invloves soldering directly to the PCB.

5. knightyc

knightyc CPC refugee

thats the problem im not using the proper psone screen mine is the logic3 screen. i have cheacked the circuit tha i need to solder it too and it all looks the same

Last edited: 26 Dec 2005
  6. Wildpig

Wildpig What's a Dremel?

Hi this project rocks, i live in australia, any ideas where i can find a PSone lcd
    without buying from overseas?

I have looked at ebay.

LW

7. ZeluR

ZeluR What's a Dremel?

I found this info on the web

NEW! [Jan 12/99]: You must add a 220uf capacitor in each of the RGB lines to get an acceptable picture. If you don't, the picture will be too dark and you won't like it!!

Has anyone tried it?

Cheers

8. slavik

slavik What's a Dremel?

I actually set the LCD brightness on highest ... so try that ... didn't need any caps or anything.

ebay seems the best option, I got mine from ebay for 25USD and 10USD shipping. this is in US though ...

edit: as for my problem, it looks like I'll have to boot with 2 monitors up once so that my video card recognises the connection before it gets to windows and then change it in windows and such.

9. MrWillyWonka

1999? Can I point out the PSOne wasn't released until AFTER 1999!

You don't need it, the picture is perfectly fine!

And because the PSOne is no longer sold in shops, your best bet is eBay, just keep looking. However they seem to be getting harder and harder to get hold of, the remaining ones in the world are just excess stock, I doubt they actually still make the screen!

10. ZeluR

ZeluR What's a Dremel?

Mine is little dark even if I adjust the brightnes to highest. I'm willing to try it but does anyone know how the capacitors should be connected?

Cheers

Last edited: 28 Dec 2005
  11. knightyc

knightyc CPC refugee

ok i think this will have to be put on back on shelf till next week and i can afford cables and a power pack

12. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

Ok, these are really pissing me off. Tried again, still nothing.

Should the screen turn on if I just plug the ac adapter in, nothing else connected, just power. Thanks

13. MrWillyWonka

Yes the screen should. If not you either have a faulty power connector or a broke screen. :(

Have you got the DCC wire connected to the PCB though?

14. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

Its all still in the casing, trying to see that it does work before i (break it) disassemble it. I thought, looking at the pictures in the guide, it should work with just the ac power plugged in. Does this need to be directly connected to the pcb? I really am confused.

Edit - Pretty sure its not the AC Adaptor as Ive tried 2, probably just something Im doing :waah:

15. MrWillyWonka

Have you tested it on a playstation? Your sceen may turn out to be faulty :(

16. ibmike

ibmike What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know if i can just wire up an rca plug on this and use it as an external screen for in car use ??

If so coul someone please list what all the wites do on the screen and how i go about sorting it out

Thanks

17. N/A

N/A What's a Dremel?

does PSONE mod work with eVGA 7800GT OC?

please help

18. MrWillyWonka

It will work with any graphics card AFAIK!

19. knightyc

knightyc CPC refugee

i have a problem..

the soldering side of the connector is upside down so looks like this....

[​IMG]

but the connector in to the screen (not the side that goes into the psone is the right way round.

wch one should i solder too

20. qbert3

qbert3 What's a Dremel?

my psone screen powers up but is very sensitive. the power goes out easily if i move it around. so i think hes got a faulty psone screen for sure. you cant really mess up on powering it up.

Tags: Add Tags