1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding HDD cooler able to hold 6HDD's?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DaLoonie, 28 Dec 2005.

1. DaLoonie

DaLoonie What's a Dremel?

I'm considering to build up my watercooling system again and expand my system with 2xRaptor disks(the new 150GB SATA II drives that should be out in January).
    Then I have a problem I hate noise and I really would like to put all my HDD's into one big box where I can't hear them and they are suffeciently cooled with water.

I allready have 2xATA and 2xSATA drives if it matters.

So any suggestions?

Also is there any chipset cooler for my motherboard DFI nF4 SLI-D that doesn't interfere with my HIS X800XL IceQ II card's cooler?

2. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Well it would be nice to know how much sapce you have to play with, what case have you got & how many bays does it have(5.25 & 3.5)? I'd say you could possibly buy 3 dual Aquacomputer AquaDrives but that would set you back quite a bit

3. DaLoonie

Indeed that's a knock in the wallet, I have seen the prices on those :p

I have a Lian-Li PC-71 High tower. I have 4 free 5,25" racks but some modding isn't out of my way.
    Though the two raptors are the main reason I'm thinking of this "upgrade". And if I can only get those two in at a minimum it wouldn't be a total failure.

Any other advises?
    I would appreciate it if it was more affordable than the AquaDrives. :)

4. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

DIY watercooling. Get some copper and make your own waterblock type thing for them. Then stick them in your 5.25 bays(might have to cut all the drive holding tabs though). That would work ive seen it done before but cant remember where.

5. DaLoonie

Hmm don't know I'm not good with copper and waterblocks that's why I need a premade one.
    If I go and play with making such homemade watercooling well yeah it's not watercooling anymore. It ends up as a pool or aquarium :/

6. pingthepiratehobo

pingthepiratehobo What's a Dremel?

i still dont understand the watercooling of hdds, seems a bit overly complex if you're just using 7200 drives, theres a silentpc mod somewhere that used 3.5-5.5 inch bay converters that were also heatsinks for hdds,just have a few of those, or you could make a simple rack out of two sheets of alu, space em about a cm from each other and have a couple fans blowing on and it should all be fine- is heat under 80 degrees even harmfull for a hdd?

7. DaLoonie

It's mostly for the sake of the Raptors running at 10.000RPM. The older versions(36 and 74GB SATA150 disks) were, IMO, noisy and would need a HDD silencer for my likings and noise levels.

Though some 5,25" noise reducing converters could be a possibility. But the cooling is important on such drives, due the speeds?

8. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

you could stop being greedy and settle for 7200? :D only joking mate. i reckon put it in a fridge!

9. obzelite

obzelite What's a Dremel?

i have 5 drives stacked in the front of case, did have 7 but two died and i'm blaming heat. when they started making noise i pulled the case side off to try and identify the culprits and they got hot enough to burn. I really didnt expect hdds to generate that much heat.
    Now have 4 fans mounted in front of the case and the hdd's are cool to the touch now. Watercooling is prob over the top though.

10. phuzz

phuzz This is a title