1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Home Cinema

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kill_me_quick, 13 Dec 2005.

1. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

I think they would be a bit small for the room, its roughly 27ft long, or something like that and about 15ft across that is off the top of my head though.

Would, floor standing speakers for rears, book shelf speakers for fronts and a centre speaker sound about right, then get a sub later if we need it and have the cash?

2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Yeah, but use the floor standers at the front ;)

Those Cantons are surprisingly loud for the size, but that is a big room! The sub is well integrated and provides a lot of depth.

The problem is that you will probably be spending as much on a pair of floorstanders as you would on the whole canton package. I would certainly go for floorstanders if you can though :)

Last edited: 16 Dec 2005
  3. kill_me_quick

I thought that but put it as the other way round, I might go to Richer Sound in Southampton tomorrow to have a look at what they have and get a bit of xmas shopping done.

4. mushky

mushky gimme snails

You could always start off with just a decent pair of floor standers and add the other speakers at a later date. Good quality stereo will knock the socks off cheap 5.1.

5. Mortus

Mortus What's a Dremel?

Thats a bit of a difficult comparison, better quality yeah but its a totally different sound.

If i was on (and i am always) a tight budget i would go for a cheap 5.1 system and then ugrade it bit by bit.

imo

:)

6. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Yeah but if you start off with a pair of good quality stereo speakers then the upgrade path is a lot easier - just add to it. Otherwise you have wasted your money on the cheaper stuff that you will be replacing.

7. kill_me_quick

Well we have started decorating. We started last night and so far have stripped the walls of wall paper and backing. Removed the carpet and underlay. That has taken the longest amount of time. so here are some progress pics:

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dom_

dom_ --->

looking good. only thing i would say is get a large rug.
    it should help sq issues by minimising reflections from the wooden floor. put it mid way between your seating position and the speakers.

oh and heavy curtains/blinds over the large window/glass doors.

9. kill_me_quick

We were already thinking about a rug to break up the room a bit and going from the previous curtains they will be quite heavy

10. dom_

dom_ --->

brilliant :D

11. kill_me_quick

Thats a happy dom_ then