1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell 24 inch widescreen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pookeyhead, 1 Jan 2006.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Thinking about getting one... but I have one question:

Does the VGA cable plug into the side of the panel????

If so, that's the most stupid idea ever. How **** will that look?? A great big, thick, inflexible cable poking out of the side of a thin, black panel!!!

Jesus... please tell me it's not true. If it is, it makes an otherwise great panel, a complete steaming pile of shite!

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

what gives you the idea that the cable is in the side?? :eyebrow:

I believe dell is doing a refresh of their range very soon, i was looking at the 24" as well, but im waiting a bit to see what turns up

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Its called the 2407 WFP; probably well worth a look on launch day :)

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

No, everything comes out the bottom. You can just rotate it into portrait mode, in which case they would seem to come out the side (they wouldn't really; they're fairly well-hidden when rotated on the 20" anyways, just as well-hidden as when in normal landscape viewing anyways). The only stuff on the side are passive air vents, USB ports and a ??-in-1 media card reader.

The new panels are out on the fifth, I think. I'm worried they'll do something idiotic and make them all DVI-only, as it appears the 30" will be. Hopefully it'll be something good like adding an HDMI input and HDCP support though (and component-in on the 20" ffs! I need component-in!)

5. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

The cables do NOT go into the bottom of the monitor, they go into an out cove about four inches above the bottom into the back of the panel. You can easily stealth the wires to go behind the center post and down a hole in your desk or to the back of the desk (or what ever the heck you want to do) and make them not visible at all.

[​IMG]

The memory card reader + 2 of the USB ports on the side (the other 2 are on the bottom).

Last edited: 1 Jan 2006
  6. Pookeyhead

[​IMG]

errr.... that did.. but I take it that's not where the video input is then? IS that some other lead he has connected? USB or something?

Thank God for that, because that would be a really dumb assed idea.

Hurrah!! I can still buy one then, and if there's a new one coming out, prices will drop through the floor!! w00t!

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

thats a usb cable you dolt :p

also, stop buying so many expensive things! :D

8. Pookeyhead

Ouch.. that looks expensive.... and a little too big I imagine. I wonder if they revamp the 24 to the same 11ms time and higher contrast ratio?

9. Pookeyhead

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: @ dolt!!! not heard that for years. Quality insult!

10. Mister_Tad

what?
    id imagine its no bigger than the current 24", them both being 24" and all :confused:

11. Pookeyhead

I was referring to this:

That's a 30.. which is probably just stupid for a desktop, but 24" is ideal. I'm happy to reap the benefits of people shifting old stock when the new one comes out TBH, as the spec looks good. I bet it falls to below 500 if there's a new 24 inch coming out.

12. Mister_Tad

dolt tbh :hehe:

the 2407 is the refesher to the 2405
    the 3007 is the 30" :duh:

13. Pookeyhead

I did think that, but I Googled 2407 and it took me to the Dell web page for the 30 inch.

Still... I wonder about the price, as the current one is over £600, which to be honest is getting to be very expensive, considering CRTs (when you could still buy one) were SOOO much cheaper.

I like it tho... both teh new one, and the current one. I just hope my set-up can cope with gaming at those resolutions. I fear for FEAR at it's native res.

14. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

Do not assume that prices will fall through the floor for 2405FPWs when the 2407 models come out. If there like the 3007WFPs (w/ only a single DVI-D connector) then I can't see the prices falling by much. Especially if Dell decides to stop manufacturing 2405's all together.

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

My thougts on the subject, almost word-for-word.

And yes, pookeyhead, those are the USB ports on the side in the pic. The other side houses a camera card reader (or maybe they're on the same side on the 24", the 20" I have doesn't have the reader). Xuntitled's pic said it better than I could. By "bottom" I just meant that they're not coming in the side at all. However, most LCDs are similar input to that with the overhang thing, so I figured it was implied :) Yes, the cables are *quite* hidable, especially as there's a rubbery thing on the back to run them through for neatness. Not as well-managed as Apple's solution, but that comes with the territory of only having one cable.

16. Pookeyhead

Escellent.. I hate cables.

Well... Looks like I'm gonna have to get one. I suppose I'll wait until the new one comes out, and see what it's all about, and how it affects prices etc. May even check out used prices on Ebay.