1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling ICe cooled idea, what do u think?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dremelkid, 3 Jan 2006.

1. dremelkid

dremelkid What's a Dremel?

delete

Last edited: 20 Feb 2021
  2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

You might face the problem of condensation if you are cooling it below the dew point. I'd be very careful...

3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Interesting idea to say the least :)

4. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

The condensation doesn't come from the ice.

5. Hans Voralberg

Hans Voralberg What's a Dremel?

If the air is cold enuf to cause condensation i would be worried, that's like put ur hardware on the frying pan. But interesting idea nonetheless, i think it would lower the temp :D

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Top Nurse is right. Condensation comes from the moisture that is naturally present in the ambient air (including that in the cooler box and your PC). Prepare to see the sparks flying...

7. nicktg

nicktg What's a Dremel?

Nice idea indeed
    Just make sure the air temp doesnt get too low to avoid condensation.
    It should still improve cooling considerably. And how about mounting the case on top of the mini fridge?

8. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

how much of the cold temp would be lost in the piping from the cool box to the PC, i agree with Nicktg put the pc on top of the cool box to minimise this.

if you lowered the temp steadly over s short space fo time this could minimise the amount of condensation on the inside fo the case ie components but there still would be lots on the out side. the way round this is do what the fridge manufacturers do. insulate the out side of the case with polystyrene, probably 25mm would be the minimum but 50mm would be ideal. cos you will be wanting to do the same as a fridge and there is no condensation on the out side of those

if you just pumped in sub 0/freezing air you would get condensation on the inside and a very nice light show

9. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

How big is the cooling box? If you really wanted to get the pc cold, you could mod everything inside the fridge, then put some silica gel next to the parts, then seal the fridge door. Leave it, so the silica dries out the air, then switch on the fridge.

10. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Nah more just it wont turn on if thers sparks i want pictures :D

morgan.

11. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

seal the case up fill it with water (hose jobby) then pretend that the computer works "silent pc.. no more fans"... then get a nano itx (or veryy small computer) put it in your bag and connected it up to your screen.

12. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

^^ or just seal up the case and fill it full if full of inertx then it would still work and have no fans etc, bar the hard disk :p

13. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Due to the price of InertX in such quantities, I think that pleasure would be reserved for the idle rich :D

Tags: