1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Crashes - Please Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by waitandbleed, 1 Jan 2006.

1. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

For the last 3 days my system has crashed atleast once. Today it was twice. No idea why or what. If Im listenin to music the song will studder (like a cd that skips) then I will be greeted by a blue screen. It says something about needing to turn off my computer to protect it and remove any recent hardware / software installing. Also says something about the bios and updating my drivers. All drivers are up to date. Any help? Also my system seems to crash around the same time of the day....

System Specs:

LanParty UT nF4 SLI-D
    AMD Athlong 64 3700+ San Diego 939
    2x Crucial Ballistx 512GB PC-3200
    BFG 7800GT 256MB PCI-E x16
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2
    Seagate 120GB IDE
    OZC 520 Watt Modular PS

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Do full spyware scans with Ad-Aware and Spybot S & D, do a full virus scan(use AVG free, if you don't already have a scanner). Make sure you have an active firewall.

If all the above seem in order once scanned, run memtest86, a bootable CD or floppy can be made easily, run it for 4-6 hours, all tests. If it fails thats your problem.

Failing that, I'd say somethings dying from either your CPU, motherboard or maybe hard disk, but the latters unlikely.

I don't think its your PSU, because if that were the case it'd probably just totaly freeze and lock up, instead of BSOD'ing, but post the make and model of your PSU anyway.

If you have any questions about any of the software mentioned, google.

3. waitandbleed

Thanks for the quick reply! I think perhaps you missed the make and model of my PSU but its OCZ Modsteam 520. Cheers!

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Oh woops, sorry. Yeah, I missed that, do all the other stuff, see how that goes, then if your problem isn't fixed we can look into the PSU in more detail :)

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

uninstall NVIDIA Network Access Manager and NVIDIA IDE SW Driver - that might solve a lot of your problems.

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Bigz, what is it that causes the Nvidia drivers to be so bad? From what I've read, most people basicly say, turn off any Nvidia network stuff(active armour etc.), get rid of the IDE drivers, whats the story?

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm not sure what the exact issues are, but I have personally had issues with ActiveHarmer when my DHCP server tried to renew the IP address on the NVIDIA ActiveHarmer-enabled network port. I had blue screens exactly 24 hours after the system booted into windows and requested an IP address from my router. My router renews IPs every 24 hours, so it's network related, even though it didn't give me any other symptons from the blue screen.

This was on a completely fresh system, freshly built with a clean hard drive.

As soon as ActiveHarmer was removed from the system, there were no problems when the router attempted to renew IP addresses, thus no crashing. :)

8. waitandbleed

Thanks Specofdust and bigz, I have unistalled NVIDIA Network Access Manager but I didnt uninstall the IDE driver because I wasnt sure if I would be able to use my floppy or Hdd anymore (both which are IDE). Anyways I got the bsod again and I took a picture of it to show you what Im talkin about. Also could this be from overheating? My graphics card is at 42C which is the highest I have seen it go. I dont know any programs that tell you the temperature of your cpu. If you could give me one that be great. Thanks.

[​IMG]

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I did a tiny bit of googling and came up with this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284

It probably won't be of much help, the error numbers don't even match fully, but, there ya go :)

Do uninstall the Nvidia IDE drivers though, while its normally reccomended to have the motherboard manufacturers IDE drivers installed, windows has IDE drivers that do just fine, when you uninstall the Nvidia ones, after a quick restart the Windows ones should take over(IIRC), so, don't worry about that :)

edit: just in case the article makes no sense, it seems to me to pretty much be saying the problem is either happening because of a broken CPU, or where it says "bus" problem, I assume thats related to stuff like IDE, but, im nooby when it comes to techy talk, bigz might be of more help.

10. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Also as Bigz said you can uninstall the IDE drivers, Don't worry you still be able to use all of your IDE devices/ports.

You may get a "found new hardware" wizard after Uninstalling the drivers, if so don't re-install the nvidia drivers just use the windows drivers.

Finally It would be a bit point less if you needed to install IDE drivers, how would you go about installing windows & using dos based hard drive tools.. :thumb:

-Fr4nk

11. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION can be caused by hardware issues. I'd personally try Prime95 and memtest for a few hours to ensure there's nothing wrong with the actual processing subsystem.

If this turns up nothing, it might unfortunately be time to start swapping hardware. I would begin with the memory (ensure this is correctly configured - you do have a DFI, after all ;)) and the CPU.

12. waitandbleed

K thanks a lot guys Ill give it a go! Hopefully its not to bad :( I just bought this system. What should my settings be? I havent tinkered or anything with them. Just installed the hardware and drivers. Its happned twice today now its making me mad.

Edit: I downloaded smartguardian and I was looking at how much voltage is going where and everything looks normal but then it says chipset and highlighted in red it says 1.16v. That seems very low? Is that correct?

Last edited: 5 Jan 2006
  13. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Indeed it is, check your BIOS to make sure the readings concur and the voltage is set correctly there - the correct setting is 1.5V. It's more likely that the sensor is wrong but it would cause issues if the voltage was too low.

14. waitandbleed

Ran Memtestx86 no errors. Also seems like it only crashes when iTunes is running? Any other ideas?