1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Flow meter question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alwayz Dead, 6 Jan 2006.

1. Alwayz Dead

Alwayz Dead What's a Dremel?

Hi

In a bid to go minimal after loads of bling, fan bus dials, and readout etc' etc' I have decided to monitor everything possible from software. I have an Mcube Tbalancer which is fine but I bought a flowmeter to go with it and this concerns me.

The inlet port reduces from 1/4"BSP to an opening just 3 - 4mm in diameter - this is a guess as I can't get in to measure accurately. The ouput port is around 6mm diameter.

I'm using 1/2" throughout the system and am worried about causing restriction problems with this flow meter.

Any thoughts ?

If it helps the rest of the water cooling componants are as follows:

Laing D5 pump
    ThermoChill PA120.1
    TDX A64
    NV78 7800 GPU Block
    AquaDrive 2 HDD Block

Cheers

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Is there a chance of drilling the hole out?
    Pics would help.

3. Alwayz Dead

I've had it appart and yes it would be possible to open the bores but the impellar is pricisely the same hight as the diameter of the input bore. I think that opening the bore will overwelm the impellar or at least the reading from the unit will not be accurate as the flow will be able to wash over it. If that is the case than there is no point in fitting it. :sigh:

I could taper the the bore as at the moment the reduction is just a step which will cause a back wash. A taper would help smooth it out at least perhaps.

Pix are a pain at the mo coz me camera has gone down. Typical. I wanted to start a project log on this build :sigh:

Not my day is it :miffed:

4. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Why don't you split the flow off through a thin supply line to the flowmeter, keep max flow going to your system, but just a bleed line to have water flow through it, so you can have a reading for your software.

That way you will not restrict flow to rest of loop, while you will still be able to measure if pump is delivering flow - absolute values is not necessary.

Your pump should have enough capacity.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That would give you a misleading idea about the flow.

Get yourself a decent ID flowmeter. Either a Swissflow SF800 or a Vision 2000 (practically the same thing. Credits for finding it go to Jaguarking11).

Last edited: 7 Jan 2006
  6. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Agreed with Nexxo, that flow meter you have will actually reduce the flow with it in the system.

IIRC, preliminary tests show a decrease of 50% in flow rate in a 1/2" system as tested by Marci of Thermochill.

Even in 8mm systems the flow meter is a real flow killer.

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Any idea on prices for the Vision 2000, Nexxo?

I've been looking into flowmeters and for some reason I can't find any in the US for under $2000 USD. Guess there just isn't a market here.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

None whatsoever. But if you e-mail the company in the link, they should be able to tell you. I suspect it will be around the same as the Swissflow, which goes for 50 Euros.

9. Alwayz Dead

To hell with the flow meter - I wanna get on :D

I'll come back to it at another time. Right now I want to complete the build.

Thanks for the input guys :thumb:

............... oh Nexxo, Heavy Angel is one nice clean piece of modding :rock:

Tags: