1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVDs to use

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Confused Fishcake, 15 Jan 2006.

1. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

I am going to buy some blank dvds for backup, which type do I need for the following:

Backing up games dvds (I have the isos)
    Backing up data
    Backing up movie dvds.

I need to buy the discs tonight, so any help is much appreciated.

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It doesn't really matter unless you plan to use them in a DVD player. In that case, it might be worth checking here to verify which type of media is compatible with your model. I've always used +R myself without problems, but YMMV.

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

i allways use dvd-r...they have less compatibility issues than "+" type of media...also any blank disk can write all the items u have listed...but ur gonna get ripped off if you get the disks from a shop...usuall blankdiskshop.co.uk is a verry good place to order from.

4. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Unless you care about cross compatibility with a DVD player, it really doesn't matter.

Get the cheapest.

*edit*
    Although if you're backing up something important i would recommend you get something with Taiyo Yuden die as it is the best of the best ;)

5. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Yeah, DVD+R is what I mainly use too, come to think of it, I need some more.

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Not for archiving. Get quality.

For good results at a fairly modest price I like Datawrite Titanium.

7. Confused Fishcake

Also, sorry for being noobish, but I have never written data DVDs before, (Only using dvd decrypter/shrink) does windows do it for you (like with cds?) or do I have to use nero?

8. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

best to use nero.

9. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Windows doesn't have built-in support for DVD rewriting. If you bought a retail version of your drive, you usually get a copy of Nero or an alternative piece of appropriate software with it. If you didn't, Nero is pretty cheap for a good program - pick up a copy :)

10. Confused Fishcake

Ok, thanks, will order the disc tonight.

11. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Hence my 'edit' :)

TY discs are often regarded as one of the best manufacturers, just go over to CD Freaks and take a quick look around. Here is one thread which I found quickly: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=146146

I guess it really depends what you class as Archiving though. Although cheap DVD dye does break down quicker, it is still going to last considerable time (I would guess at 20yrs+ if not kept on a windowsil - probably even a century, noone really knows) which IMO makes it perfectly suitable for most uses. The only time I really worry about branding is when I am backing up photographs or home made vids.

Personally I use Datawrite Titaniums (-R with TTH02 dye) as my cheap DVD-R as they do offer good value for money. The generic ones are crap unless you are running out of coasters.

For decent stuff atm I use some Verbatim (-R) with TY dye, however this always changes as many manufacturers change dye.

SVP is always a good place to buy media from as they always tend to specify what dye the media uses.

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Scan do a 50 pc spindle of a disc called Ritek. They're 8x -R discs, and they have a prntable surface if you have a preinted that will do that. They're cheap, and they have never let both myself, and my friend down over hundreds, possibly thousdands of discs.

I've never had a compatability issue with tons of DVD players no matter wether I use + or -R, but it's probably best to check if you intent to play discs on a domestic DVD player. I've tried teh above discs on at least 5 players, and they're fine. They're only 8x, so if you have a 16x writer and you're in a rush, then you may want to look elsewhere, but for the price, they're excellent

13. tomd

tomd What's a Dremel?

I have had pretty good luck with Memorex, TDK, Maxell, and Ritek/Ridata... I usually just get the Riteks cuz they have been very reliable for me, and on sale I can usually get 'em for about $25/100.

I would definately steer clear of a brand called Teon, by far the crappiest blank i've used, numerous coasters, not to mention many of the dvds have broken down and are unwatchable (video) after a year...

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The only DVD I'd use for any long term reliable storage would be DVD-RAM, they're still fairly expensive, but tend to last about ten years safely, and are simple to use. Worth a look, if your burner can write to them :)

15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I've yet to see any reliable evidence to suggest that DVD +/-R discs wouldn't last as long tbh. I remember people having misgivings about CD-Rs when they first came out, but I've got some that are approaching 10 years old now, and they're still fine. It depends how you store them. Keep them in the dark, and cool and dry, and they sem to last ages. How long you leave them unwritten makes a difference too. If you use them while they're still "fresh" they seem to last longer.

16. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

The best DVD media is (real) Taiyo Yuden discs. It has the lowest/slowest break down rate over time. This is my opinon based off tests done on a movie pirating site (all I can really say about that).

Cheap dvd media can become unreadable in a little as 6 months. It's always good to check your important discs every once and a while to make sure there becoming messed up.

Good Link

17. 5aboy

5aboy Minimodder

TaiyoYuden all the way - you just cannot beat them!

cdfreaks is a good place to go to discuss this though, and id recommend ARPMEDIA as a supplier.

im very tempted by the new infiniti 16X discs at around 28p each from ARP (use MCC dye, the new one rated at 16X)

also you must remember that the quality of the burns is also dependant on the burn strategy used by your burner for that media - and new/modded firmwares make a big difference. research it over at cdfreaks.

(TYG02, TY002 are the 8X dvd codes that will definately burn well at 16X)

18. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

datawrite titanium here too :)

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Abso-freakin-lutely!! Taiyo Yuden's are the best damn DVDs ever made. Expensive, but really really compatible and burn perfectly. I bought 100 +Rs and havent had a problem with them in any player. They are the only ones my Gamecube will accept and my Xbox prefers them.

20. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

are Taiyo Yudens only available in the UK? I only seem to find UK links to them.