1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP Laserjet print quality problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MattMc, 15 Jan 2006.

1. MattMc

MattMc What's a Dremel?

I'm hoping someone can help me with print quality problems on my HP Laserjet 6L laser printer. Basically printed text is extremely faded and hard to read and large, thick text and graphics seem to "bleed".

I've had this printer for at least 5-6 years and was still on my original toner cartridge when I noticed this problem starting. This is what I have tried so far:

- Replaced the toner cartridge with a new, sealed HP cartridge that I bought about 3 years ago
    - Tried to find a new printer driver but the HP site said to use the one that came with Windows XP (which I'm using)
    - Tried 3 different brands of paper, including HP Laser paper
    - Put the old toner cartridge back in case I got them mixed up during the first replacement:)
    - Put the new toner catridge back in
    - "Reset" the printer to factory default settings (on the printer itself, not through software)
    - Tried two different PC's, same print quality on both PC's
    - Printed a test page (initiated from the printer, not Windows), still had the same, poor print quality

To me it seems to be a printer issue, not a software issue. Is there anything else you guys can recommend? It sounds like a bad toner cartridge, but the 5 year old toner cartridge prints identically to the new toner cartridge, which makes me wonder if the original toner cartridge was actually bad or not. Are there any other parts inside these printers that can wear out and need replacement?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

2. fev

fev Industry Fallout

it's just worn out... how many pages has it done?

3. Tiny_Tim

Tiny_Tim What's a Dremel?

Get yourself a Screwdriver, some ISO alcohol and a clean cloth. Strip it back as much as you can, clean all the rollers, rubber pick ups etc.

- Run a few blank pages through it see if there is any residue that sticks to it.
    - Check the fan is still working.
    - Get an air compressor and air gun and blow the c**p out of it, it could be a build up of toner/dust.
    - Check the paper tray/feed visually inspect for problems.

We retired three Laserjet 6L's last year, they are pretty old. The paper feeds wear out after a while. Don't bother getting it serviced. Get your self a new printer, 1320's are pretty good.

4. MattMc

MattMc What's a Dremel?

hmmm, the manual says an average toner cartridge lasts about 2500 pages so I guess it's probably less than that. I know laser printers should be able to last longer than one toner cartridge, right? I wouldn't have thought that spreading that one cartridges use out over 5 years wouldn't have any more wear & tear than using it up within the first year.

Edit:Tiny_Tim: Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Matt

5. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

It may be the toner if it's 3 years old as I'm pretty sure they put a shelf life on these things and I would gues it's less than 3 years. If the print smudges if you rub it with your finger it may be the fuser unit,

Either way it's probably cheaper to chuck it /ebay it and buy your self a brand new one as a nice HP Black and white laster printer can be had for about £150

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

If the 6L is anything like my old 5L a new toner comes with a new drum inside, so print quality usually lasts the life of the machine. Mine finally started being an irritation after about 7 years and 9 or 10 cartridges, it missed picking up or fed 20 sheets at once, probably due to rubber feed rollers gone hard & shiny. general wear and tear on the paper transport system.

I've not had a cartridge last much over a year, so can't comment on shelf life, but buying a fresh one is an expensive way to check if the printer is buggered.

I'd say it's a hardware fault, could be the high-voltage system that charges the drum to attract toner, or the fuser not getting hot enough to properly stick the toner to the paper. But repair will likely cost more than the printer's worth, and getting a repair manual to DIY is hard.

Try increasing the print density in the printer software control panel, see if that helps. Also look here.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2006
  7. MattMc

MattMc What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I haven't had time to dig into the printer yet.

sp!: I couldn't find an expiration date on the "new" toner cartridge, but it was manufactured in February 2002 :hehe:

cpemma: Great link! I never thought of a "fixyourownprinter.com" website. Some of the problems they describe match mine exactly (including your quote). I'd hate to buy that cleaning video for $20 then still have the same problem afterwords.

What I did do was find this Samsung all-in-one b&w laser printer at New Egg for $90 after rebate (+ a free $30 DVD player). I went ahead and ordered it, hopefully it turns out OK. The reviews I read of it all sounded pretty good, especially for occasional home use. I still plan on trying to get the 6L working, I'll update this thread if I get it back to normal. Thanks.

Matt