1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC=Dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Galls, 19 Jan 2006.

1. Galls

Galls What's a Dremel?

ok, i gotta do a little troubleshooting here, as my pc has decided to die. :wallbash:

What seems to have happened is either the CPU (AMD 64 4000) or the motherboard has died (Asus A8N sli). There was a power outage do to some public employee idiots removing tree branches. So then I try to start up my computer again, it only goes to the Asus motherboard screen and then crashes. Now it wont even start up; the fan wont start the hard drives wont spin, but the green light on the motherboard is lit.

Anybody with any clue?

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Sounds like the PSU if there was fun outside with the grid. Remove the main ATX power connector and use a paper clip or lead to short the green wire to any of the black wires. Your power supply should start up - if it doesn't, it's borked. If it does, I'd try it in another motherboard to see if it can start with a load.

In the event of it still failing to start up, leave it for a few hours and come back to it. Power supplies often have an internal latch circuit to ensure that the fault condition has cleared before they start up again.

If the PSU is fine, I'd start looking into your motherboard being faulty. Do you have any spares? Try resetting the CMOS :)

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

i donno man...the HDD's dont spin....either the spike killed everything or that the main 12v line on the psu is dead....either way something is dead.

4. Galls

Galls What's a Dremel?

ya the paper clip worked sadely enough so it is either the CPU or the motherboard. Im gonna plug one of my HDs into another one of the computers just to be safe If they work I will assume it is one of the 2.

5. Galls

Galls What's a Dremel?

tested a hard drive and it is working fine, so it is either or?

6. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

id check if you have another board or if you have a buddy who does to test the cpu and mobo