1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Disney wants to buy Pixar

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 19 Jan 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

Just saw that a short while ago. I think it sucks. I understand it's business, but I despise Disney. I was able to ignore the partnership before, but I was hopeful after the falling out. Sad news. I hope it doesn't work out, or someone else outbids them.

3. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

THis is nothing new. Disney has been going down and need some way to stay a float. The 3D movie thing is the last thing they have going for them. I wish diney good luck.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea. If disney could write animaton like it used to it would still be in business. Atm the only thing going for it is the "Disney presents someone elses work" angle at the cinema and rehashing old releases.

5. logan

logan flashback!

just a small point....

Pixar was still working with Disney on Finding Nemo, and Cars - which is (was?) due to be their last project together.

Edit: I may have misinterpreted that... I suppose Disney still haven't done much independent of Pixar.

6. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

If Disney bought Pixar, Pixar stock would become Disney stock. If Pixar stock became Disney stock, Steve Jobs would become one of the primary shareholders for Disney. (He might even have more Disney shares than anyone else. I think Pixar is valued at around 9bil right now.)

That would put Steve Jobs on the board at Disney; maybe chairman of the board; and possibly get him selected as CEO of Disney. (They need a good one...)

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Steve would be a very powerful man. Arguably more powerful than Bill, although I dont know how many fingers:pots Bill has.

8. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

pixar should by disney! then MS should by apple and the world will be good again

9. soji

soji What's a Dremel?

i want to see disney go down. I dont know why, i just want to see how the world would take it.

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

With Buena Vista, ABC, ESPN and a host of radio networks, among other things, Disney has neglected its animation department for years.

Back in high school, my one goal in life was to work at the Disney animation studios, back when they still produced decent films. I'm so glad I chose a different path, since Disney shut down the cel animation department a while back.

To be honest, Disney animation really started going down when Walt Disney died. Roy (Walt's nephew, not his brother) tried to keep it up, but in recent years think his position on the Board of Directors was more ceremonial than anything else. The quality of the animated films over the last few years has been very poor.

-monkey

11. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I doubt Disney would be able to buy out Pixar, unless through majority shareholding.

Steve doesn't neccisarily need more money or power. The man's edging on retirement, and I doubt a few more billion is what he needs. Besides, that would be like selling Apple to Microsoft. No matter how desperate the situation, it just won't happen out of simple principle.

12. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

scq: I think you might be underestimating ol' Stevo's ego regarding power.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

14. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

sick, sick man. :) And to think, I was just about to comment on how nice it was for you to make an appearance on the news side of things... :D

15. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Of course. But then again, Steve likes to corrupt the world his way. iTunes uses his DRM, and his operating system (previously NeXT) powers his computers, just to name a few.

16. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags