1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Professional Webserver Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by relix, 20 Jan 2006.

1. relix

relix Minimodder

Ok, so I've got this idea for an application/service for consumers that will need a dedicated server. It's going to be subscription based so that users have to pay each month for the service.

Being a programmer and not really a sysadmin guy, I was wondering if you could suggest recommended readings to get me up to speed on how to set everything up. A question that really bugs me, is, how do I determine what power I need? E.g. how to decide if I should rent a simple Sempron server or at least a Dual Opteron? What amount of RAM? How many users can I push on a 100mbit-line? Stuff like that.

Of course you can't answer these questions without knowing what it is I'm going to do, but it suffices I think to know that it will be doing the same things that a simple file-webserver would be doing, with some php/mysql (made by me, not by the users).

Any information is welcome!

2. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

There's never a correct answer to these type of questions. What is enough power today, might not be in a years time.

I know that it's hard to predict the number of visitors, but think about your application. PHP scripts handling large arrays/objects will obviously require more cpu cycle & memory.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are really capable of performing all jobs?

3. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

Depends on what the site will be doing. Will the pages be mostly static, or dynamic? Will there be a lot of database activity, or very little? How many users do you expect to have in the first 90 days? 6 months? 1st year? How much money do you have budgeted for expenses?

For site hosting, places should allow you to upgrade services without contractual issues. You should be able to start out on the lower end, and upgrade as needed, eventually to a dedicated server, etc.

Tags: