1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What RAM would YOU put in? (unlmtd. budget)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zarathustra, 21 Jan 2006.

1. Zarathustra

Zarathustra What's a Dremel?

Heya, I'm finishing up the system I'd posted for some help with earlier (thanks very much for the help, I have WinXP Pro running as stable as I've ever seen it) but it's getting towards time to upgrade my RAM and video card. I'm going to wait until DX10 cards come out to do any SLI action, but for a holdover I'll have an EVGA 7800 GTX KO running my games.

I don't, however, know exactly what I should do for RAM. My board is tested for 3500LL from Corsair, which is a 2 GB/2 stick setup. What I'm curious about is this - should I invest in four of these fairly low latency sticks or would that kill my bandwidth? I wouldn't mind running only 2 GB to start, it would just be neat to have the limit of RAM going on in my system.

Keep in mind I'm not an avid overclocker (or one at all) but I would like the best possible equipment for the machine I'm building.

Cheers,
    Z

PS I guess the question is just - how much RAM and what line of top RAM should I use? ;p

2. batsman

batsman the quiet one

i've been looking at OCZ platinum recently they do a 2GB pack 2 * 1024 for about £190 thats for DDR 400 not sure if you're DDR 1 or 2

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I wouldnt go for 4 sticks of anything, as youll end up running 2t probably. The 3500LL seems good, but I'm currently testing 2x 1Gb XMS4000PT and they're running now at 275 @ 3-2-2-8 with 2.8V..... still tweaking. They're cheap, they're fast... so far they're looking good.

Unlimited budget? OCZ EB... as soon as they become available again, that's exactly what I am doing.

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Assuming your DDR1 and A64 (no one in their right mind would build a pc around Intel SLI mobo's)
    Moving to 4 dimms will hurt memory bandwidth a bit due to 2T running. You shouldnt need more than 2gb for most things tbh, so would just stick with that for now...

5. Zarathustra

Zarathustra What's a Dremel?

Thanks - the general impression I was getting was that 4 GB wasn't worth it atm.

And no, running an A8N32-SLI deluxe with a 4800+ in it atm.

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Lifted from Xtreme Forums:

"My OCZ EB Platinum 2GB:

freestylercs | 2x1GB OCZ PC4000EB Platinum - Infineon CE-6 | 3-3-2-8 1T @ 297MHz | 2.9v | - SPi 32M/primeblend Stable

tested on with opterons: 144/148/165"

I think THAT answers your question :hehe:

That stuff is definitely the new Ballistix.... gotta get me some of that!!!

[EDIT]

Having said that... this Corsair I've just bought is pretty nippy too
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Jan 2006
  7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

However, slightly lower bandwidth tends to be made up by the uberness of 4 gigs. The difference is basically either 1FPS (maybe) higher or no hitching from having to load stuff from the hard drive.

Personally, I'd go for more. Performance-wise, I couldn't tell a difference between 1T and 2T, but going from 1GB to 2GB was hugely smoother. I don't know whether you'll notice the same out of 2 to 4GB, but I could only assume so.

8. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Windows has trouble seeing more than 3(?)GB of ram. Until you have a fully 64bit setup, i wouldn't bother.

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

The windows limit with an A64 is 4 for 32-bit.

I just picked up new RAM, and I only bought a gig. Rather have guaranteed awesome clocking (and I got XMS Xpert, which is as expensive as hell) than a huge amount I won't use...

10. customh

customh conflagration.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2006
  11. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

You can claim back up to 3.6GB (IIRC) by setting alternative PCI MMIO hole/remap settings in your BIOS, which shifts a a remapped area used for expansion card memory addressing to a different place.

12. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

I know mate, that's why I said it has trouble, not it couldn't do it. Most people won't bother though.