1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Core Duo Macs aren't that fast after all?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 24 Jan 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

I suppose the cynic in all of us is not really surprised.

3. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

:\ maybe thats because the g5 and yonah have completely different architechtures?
    in some places the yonah is far faster and in others its about the same or slower

OSX is slow anyway :worried: *runs*

4. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Pretty much what I was thinking, well i'm not suprised in general :p

TBH though I wouldnt expect it to pee all over the G5 in every area straight off, there going to need some time to tweak it all, it must be a fairly big step to do the change over.

5. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

another reason not to buy a mac.

6. r00t69

r00t69 What's a Dremel?

Hmm didn't read that claim, only the one about being 4x faster then the G4 Powerbook.

As already posted this is a brand new system and will take time to tweak. I reckon in 1 or 2 revs of the OS we will start to see the real performance, just like any Windows OS.

7. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Ok, the figures I'm seeing show "no improvement" to "great improvement" and not really any loss. Now, figure how little time OSX has been on these processors, and I'd say that's pretty damn good. No real efficiency loss that is visible to the end user despite an entire switch in platforms. In the meantime, they just bought themselves down to an incredibly lower priced chip, and no more need for proprietary hardware.

Why is this such a boo-hoo again? Did you really expect SuperMac? Crikey, it's the first year!

Gah, I'm not even a mac fan (I make fun of Wil for his on a near daily basis), but I'm willing to admit this isn't bad news at all. As with every product, there will be growing pains. I'd say starting out with nothing but improvements, some of them quite large, is a pretty good one.

8. fev

fev Industry Fallout

hmm might just put that order on hold and go for the 20" dell w/s

9. wehopeuchoke

wehopeuchoke What's a Dremel?

Um...

Powerbook - 4x faster, older version having a G4

iMac - 2x faster, older version having a G5

:rolleyes:

10. fev

fev Industry Fallout

yeah and? i'm not seeing the point of your post... you need to explain things not just indicate facts people already know who have been following the article/news

11. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I'm missing the 'facts' there anyways. It's apple's website. Not that they'd be at ALL biased. Nooooo... :D

Cute slogan though.

12. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

13. funkbro2

funkbro2 What's a Dremel?

this is why u dont choose intel!

14. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

:thumb: Nothing like a good, nonbiased, helpful contribution. Thanks, funkbro2!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Now, would anyone like to post something NON-fanboy?

15. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

amd pwns, face it.. :hip:

16. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

To me it just looks like apple marketing getting a bit too trigger-happy with claims based on synthetic benchmarks (of Potential maximum power) and then being caught at it by benchmarks running real-world applications : not surprising really, marketing everywhere these days seems to practically lie through there teeth if they think they can get away with it.

17. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Most people don't realize that OSX isn't really "working" with the intel chips just yet. They have to use a sort of emulation to run it, which decreases performance by quite a bit.

18. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Ya, I'd think that this is just the start of something that could become a LOT better in a bunch of areas, but Apple did have some bad marketting plans at first, it was misleading, even though it is said about certain things later. Hopefully they get their act together, and make it better. I think the Intel and Mac duo is a good one, since Macs aren't used for gaming (yet?) So Intel+Apple=good mutlimedia combo.

19. Arkangyl

Arkangyl What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't say bad marketing, it was marketing. They offered up the best numbers, hell, not even the best, the average. I'm sure there was an asterik or a comment near all those numbers that said average or common improvement.

Emulation never runs that fast, hell, the fact that emulated software runs faster just goes to show how much faster the new chips are. Also an all new CPU architecture means the apps must be coded differently. Once everything is coded for OSX x86 I'm sure it will be faster. Also the big boost is in multi-threaded apps, from what I understand the G5's were very efficent single thread procs

20. saint.duo

saint.duo What's a Dremel?

That is by far, the funniest thing I've heard about this.

It isn't emulated, that would be horribly horribly slow (look at Mac OS emulators for windows). The system itself is native, just not very optimized.

Certain applications do run in an emulation environment, but not the whole system.

Tags: Add Tags