1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Disney buys Pixar

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 25 Jan 2006.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

Oh well... it was good while it lasted. Cars looks weak, so maybe it was just good timing.

3. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

What's interesting to me is that many of the creative team - and at least one of the executives - at Pixar are former Disney folks who left Disney for one reason or another. They all had the capital and industry reputation to leave Disney and form a new production company once before, so what's to stop them from doing it again?

One thing's for sure: With Eisner gone and the Pixar folks working for Disney, Disney animated features will get better. But it won't be because Disney is making them. It will still be Pixar in my mind.

-monkey

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Holy jesus, Jobbo the Hut's going to make a bundle out of this one.

It's a pretty good thing though - at least there'll be better collaboration between Disney and Pixar. Let's hope we get back to the levels of Toy Story in terms of quality soon enough. Cars looks like it'll suck balls to me tbh.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Jobs has become one seriously powerful media man.

6. Rd52

Rd52 Minimodder

i hope pixar does things their way not disneys, all disney animted films suck, pixars films are bringing in alll the money. lets hope pixar doesnt do down the same path

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Dont you mean Disney CG films? Animated by hand, by Disney, used to be very good.

8. Rd52

Rd52 Minimodder

i mean all new disney CG films pretty much suck compared to pixars, and the newest cartoon films havent been up to disney standards,

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Exactly. Disney used to produce quality traditional cel animation. Like I've said before, the quality started falling off after Disney died. The modern features (generally starting from The Little Mermaid) haven't been all that great. the only exception in my opinion is Beauty and the Beast, which was fairly decent quality.

One of the things that I never liked was the use of current "in" celebrity voices for characters. While the voice actors have always had some form of celebrity, the emphasis used to be on voice quality and the creation of the character through the voice. It seems like nowadays the films rely too heavily on the marketability of the celebrity providing the voice. And don't even get me started on the whole issue of the "singing voice" actor.

All that said, I get the feeling that Disney will continue to rely on the Pixar team to produce the CG animated features, while the only traditional animated films will be "Disney presentations" of Hayao Miyazaki's films. At least he can still tell good story.

-monkey

10. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

"He will also advise on the design of new rides for the various Disney theme parks" i found this bit interesting.....wonder how simple he can make a rollercoaster :p

11. Rd52

Rd52 Minimodder

hahaha

though they meant lassater by that not jobs, but if jobs gets into the rollercoaster thing i wonder what hell create

12. customh

customh conflagration.

Disney is one step closer to being kind of the media/ movie world, they still have dreamworks to compete with though

13. TroubledMind

TroubledMind What's a Dremel?

I really think that DreamWork's other than Shrek and Shrek2 has made some horrible animated pictures. Dreamworks is more guilty of just placing real life actors in to draw attention. They did it with Shrek, Shrek2, Shark Tale, Robots (The damn advertisements for robots had a cast of almost 10 celebrities that they name off).

14. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but even though disney bought pixar..pixar is taking over disney's animation studio. Meaning that you will still get your quality pixar releases.

15. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I read this in the paper today. They said if Bill Gates comes into a Hollywood party everyone will say who's the nerd, If Steve Jobs comes into the room he will be part of the crowd.

Tags: Add Tags