1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling DDC Pump + Plexi Top = Increased Flow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coolmiester, 8 Jan 2006.

1. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Been doing a bit more flow testing and i've just found something quite surprising with the Laing DDC 12v Pump

First of all i ran an Alphacool packaged DDC with 3/8" to 1/2" step-up adaptors and got the following flow rates which are actually similar to the original Danger Den one which i tested back on 24-10-2004 though there seems to be a slight drop once the TDX Block was added.

Not sure how much fluctuation there is from pump to pump but there certainly seems to be a drop and as the TDX hasn't changed to my knowledge i can only presume it is down to the pump.

Laing DDC-12v Alphacool Packaged (test carried out with 3/8" to 1/2" step up barbs)
    Laing DDC = 6.8 LPM
    Laing DDC + TDX (nozzle1) = 5.1 LPM

Now for the more surprising find - Using the same pump i swapped the top to the Alphacool Plexi Top and used 1/2" Perfect Seal Barbs as the Plexi Top has G1/4" thread which gave the following.

Laing DDC-12v With Alphacool Plexi Top ½” Barbs
    Laing DDC = 7.3 LPM
    Laing DDC + TDX (nozzle1) = 6.2 LPM

As you can see there is a noticeable increase when using the Alphacool Plexi Top which is quite surprising given the restrictive channelling to the Plexi Top.

It would also appear that once the TDX block was added, the DDC with the Plexi Top was much less effected by the restriction only dropping 1.1 LPM over the 1.7 LPM drop from the standard DDC pump with 3/8" to 1/2" step-up adaptors.

Note: Alphacool has a new revision of the pump out ( Lang DDC-1 Plus) which again has an increased flow rate that once arrives will be tested in the same manner. (cheers Leeum)

These tests were run a number of times giving the new pump a couple of hours to bed itself in and also similar lengths of hose were also used.

Some pictures of the Alphacool DDC Pump and packaging
    [​IMG]

Complete with the Alphacool Spec on the reverse
    [​IMG]

Laing DDC with 3/8" to 1/2" step-up adaptors
    [​IMG]

Laing DDC with Alphacool Plexi Top and 1/2" Barbs
    [​IMG]

2. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

looking good :D ... the thing holding me back from one of these is that my current eheim 1048 has the full metal jacket for it ... do i reallyyy need the FMJ or is the magnetic stuff (with harddrives) just bullsh*t

3. Nightingale_zero

Nightingale_zero What's a Dremel?

personally I don't think there is much to worry about with the a magnetic pump since the hard drives are shielded in the first place. If the drives weren't shielded and you had another hard drive to close to another hdd they would corrupt each other. I mean hard drives have very large powerful magnets in side to begin with so...

4. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Now the big question, should I sell my csp-mag (brand new) and buy a DDC (with or without the top) or keep the mag? System all 3/8" and its a Single BIX, RBX, Maze4 GPU, Maze4 A8N Chipset block and a swiftech micro res. Thanks a ton.

(Sorry for the hi-jack but there are too many "Which pump should I use" threads for me to want to start another one.

5. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

tm36usa well it depends what your current flow rate is .. if it is poor (slow) then upgrade if not theres no particular reason to upgrade

6. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

tm36, I take it you've seen the recent threads regarding the CSP problems?

I would sell up for a D5/ DDC w/ plexi top myself as it's not worth the risk. Your call though ;)

Interesting results Paul, will be good to see how much the revision improves performance in real life situations :thumb:

7. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Leeum, Yeah i saw the treads with the problems but according to nexxo, the mag that was leaking was a prototype/ made for review so it didnt have all the seals it could have (and that the real ones do) so it can be taken apart and photographed. Apperently the site that reviewed it, sold it and it didnt have the right seals so it leaked. I am pretty scared about putting this mag in with the rest of my stuff and that ddc with the plexi-top looks so damn sexy.

8. Marci

Marci Ex-O-CuK / ThermoChill

Thing to consider isn't so much whether your flowrate justifies an upgrade. It's more a question of if your temps look like an increased flowrate would be of benefit. If current temps and performance are fine for you, then no need to upgrade. If current temps and performance aren't what you wanted, then the DDC should/will give better temps, but your current hardware determines how much of an improvement you'll see.

Also depends on nozzle plate installed in the block. With a mag u wanna use an unrestrictive nozzle in the RBX block. If the nozzle used is the right one for your flowrate, then you shouldn't see <i>much</i> of a change moving from one setup with right nozzle to another setup with it's right nozzle... especially on an IHS'd cpu (which the A64 is). Cumulatively, you'd be talking 5 deg max poss improvement if current setup is underperforming. If current setup is performing as it should then that amount of improvement would be decreased.

9. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Nice post! I think you will see even more flow if you use the center (top) port.

10. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

imo 5 deg is a lot :p the only thing making me want to upgrade is the size of it, a big pump starts to get realllyyyy annoying when its in the way of those damm cmos reset jumpers.

leeum--> real life situations .. as marci kind of said its more your computers setup (water cooling parts etc) normally i think water flowing anything above 40 liters /hour wouldn't improve the temps much ..so it would be hard to give a "general" setup .. everyones is different

Last edited: 25 Jan 2006
  11. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I'm curious about this too. Since i'm using the top port. How much benefit am I gaining? ;)

12. coolmiester

Good call Top Nurse

Just ran a further test with the Plexi top using the top inlet which makes a massive difference and is actually giving slightly better results than the DDC with modded 1/2" inlet without the restriction of the TDX block included.

Here's all tests including the original Danger Den from 24-10-2004 and also the modded with 1/2" inlet to make it easier for comparison.

Laing DDC-12v (test carried out with 3/8" to 1/2" step up barbs 24-10-2004)
    Laing DDC = 5.7 LPM
    Laing DDC + TDX (nozzle1) = 5 LPM
    Laing DDC + TDX + Maze4 Chipset = 4.76 LPM

Laing DDC-12v (test carried out with modded 1/2" inlet)
    Laing DDC = 9.7 LPM
    Laing DDC + TDX (nozzle1) = 7.7 LPM
    Laing DDC + TDX + Maze4 Chipset = 6.8 LPM

Laing DDC-12v Alphacool Packaged (test carried out with 3/8" to 1/2" step up barbs)
    Laing DDC = 6.4 LPM
    Laing DDC + TDX (nozzle1) = 4.7 LPM

Laing DDC-12v With Alphacool Plexi Top ½” Barbs (side mount inlet & outlet)
    Laing DDC = 6.9 LPM
    Laing DDC + TDX (nozzle1) = 5.8 LPM

Laing DDC-12v With Alphacool Plexi Top ½” Barbs (top mount inlet - side mount outlet)
    Laing DDC = 9.9 LPM
    Laing DDC + TDX (nozzle1) = 7.4 LPM

Note: Alphacool has a new revision of the pump out ( Lang DDC-1 Plus) which again has an increased flow rate that once arrives will be tested in the same manner. (cheers Leeum)

Amendment 25/01/06
    Laing DDC-1Plus With Alphacool Plexi Top ½” Barbs (side mount inlet & outlet)
    Laing DDC-1Plus = 9.7 LPM
    Laing DDC-1Plus + TDX (nozzle1) = 8.4 LPM

Laing DDC-1Plus With Alphacool Plexi Top ½” Barbs (top mount inlet - side mount outlet)
    Laing DDC-1Plus = 14.5 LPM
    Laing DDC-1Plus + TDX (nozzle1) = 10.5 LPM

Last edited: 25 Jan 2006
  13. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

:O
    Thats impressive! So glad i'm using that!

14. coolmiester

DDC-1Plus Amendment 25/01/06

Amendment 25/01/06
    Laing DDC-1Plus With Alphacool Plexi Top ½” Barbs (side mount inlet & outlet)
    Laing DDC-1Plus = 9.7 LPM
    Laing DDC-1Plus + TDX (nozzle1) = 8.4 LPM

Laing DDC-1Plus With Alphacool Plexi Top ½” Barbs (top mount inlet - side mount outlet)
    Laing DDC-1Plus = 14.5 LPM
    Laing DDC-1Plus + TDX (nozzle1) = 10.5 LPM

15. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Holy .. I know which pump I'm ordering :hip: :thumb:

16. coolmiester

Yip with a Plexi top the flow isn't that far off the Laing D5 at less than half the size and much much quieter :thumb:

17. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

18. Cybertronic

Cybertronic What's a Dremel?

What figures are the Laing D5 producing? :)

EDIT :wallbash:

Laing D5
    Laing D5 (set @ no 5) = 16.4 LPM
    Laing D5 (set @ no 1) = 4.4 LPM

From here :)

Paul, do you have any comparison pictures of the D5 with the Laing DDC-1Plus and Plexi top? :)

Last edited: 26 Jan 2006
  19. coolmiester

Laing D5
    Laing D5 (set @ no 5) = 16.4 LPM
    Laing D5 (set @ no 1) = 4.4 LPM

20. Cybertronic

Cybertronic What's a Dremel?

Oops :p, I edited my post at the same time :eek:

Too bad I've already modified my case to fit the Laing D5 with the PolarFLO TT conversion kit :waah:

Tags: