1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Remove anodising from coolers?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Jokkocze, 26 Jan 2006.

1. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

Im gonna start a project here on bt soon (My first serious project!), and right now, im preparing for it.

The thing is, the case's gonna have the colors black, red and silver(or whatever you wanna call it), but the new chipset heatsink (Zalman NB47J) is blue! I've seen people who've removed the anodising from heatsinks, and anodised them in different colors, but I've got no idea how to do it..

Does anyone know this?

2. dastt

dastt What's a Dremel?

ive heard oven cleaner works but im not 100% how well it does and its absolutly terrible stuff to use, try google and u should find something.

3. offroadracer789

offroadracer789 What's a Dremel?

most people use oven cleaner to remove the andodizing. I thnk i heard about someone using something like sodium peroxide, but im not sure.

4. Nitro_APBT

Nitro_APBT SpiderModder

Oven cleaner works great.

I've used it to remove anodizing from RC car parts for years.

In the US we general use Easy-Off heavy duty in the yellow can, but I don't know what is available and works best where you live.

How-to:

Get some good rubber gloves (dish washing gloves).

This part isn't needed, but helps keep the mess down..... Put the parts in a zip-lock bag, and spray the oven cleaner in the bag, make sure they're entirely covered.

After they look like they've stripped use a scrub brush or something to clean them, and rinse with water.

Repeat if needed. Anodizing is done in different ways, thicknesses etc. Some comes off in 5 minutes, some needs to be done in several 1/2 hour sessions.

You can put them in a shoebox, or anything else, it really doesn't matter. I just prefer to use large zip lock bags to contain everything.

The oven cleaner will leave the parts looking really ugly. They wil be gray, and have black spots on them, sometimes they come out entirely black. you'll need to polish everything after rinsing, but I don't know how easy that will be on a heat sink.

to reanodize I would suggest sending them to a shop to have it done. it can be done at home, but it is a pain (google home anodizing).

5. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

OK, a guy on sweclockers said that ammoniac works, but ill tell him to f**k himself ;)
    (Joking, aint gonna tell him that)