1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 or Xbox360?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by hitmanjr, 18 Jan 2006.

1. hitmanjr

hitmanjr What's a Dremel?

i am interested in purchasing a new gaming console as the old ps2 is getting a bit temperamental lol. i dont know whether to buy a xbox360 or a PS3?
    any help wud be thankfull cheerz
    hitmanjr

2. Unified_Shaders

Unified_Shaders Banned

That would depend on your gaming tendencies. Also, one exists, one does not. If you live in the US, you wont see a ps3 until Christmas '06, If youre in Europe, March/April '07.

I assume youre not a big fan of online console gaming, or you'd have an xbox and Live. If you want to play online, 360. Nothing sony offers can match it, and from their last statements, they are sticking with the same online plan they use now with ps2, thats laughable.

If you want to wait and gauge each, the decision is easy, get which one offers you more of the games you like. If you never had an xbox, and only a ps2, you mind as well wait for a ps3. Sounds like it might keep you happier with the same types of games/series.

3. hitmanjr

hitmanjr What's a Dremel?

thanks for that, that helped a lot as i prefer the ps2 games

4. rav666

rav666 What's a Dremel?

I moved from Ps2 to xbox and it a soo much better (all the live and integrated stuff you can do like live arcade, trailers and stuff) Im just started playing Halo 2 on a pad which takes some getting used.

Some games will only be on PS3, some games only xbox360, the main titles will be on both

Online play is sooo much better/easier on xbox tho

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

The PS3 is due out this spring, not this christmas or next year!, although there is no official release date sony have said they want to and are on track for a spring release, worldwide. Which is around the time Microsoft is releasing Halo 3, a bit of compo there!

This question has been answered many times before, so do some searching and you'll find some more info.

If you want to play online, the sony offers online gaming for free, whilst you have to pay for the xbox, and the accessories for the xbox are very expensive, a single controller costs nearly £35, a wireless network adaptor is £60 etc. The games are around £50, which I expect the PS3 to be the same.

I played the 360 at a friend's house over the weekend and I am impressed with it, the graphics are good and the controller is miles better than on the original xbox, although I do have to say the graphics on pgr3 is not much better than the graphics on gt4 on the ps2. But the extra processing power means you do have more features.

Really, your question can't be answered properly until the ps3 actually comes out and people have a chance to play it. The PS3 will probably be more popular and have more games, but the 360 like the original xbox will probably have some better games.

6. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

sony has never announced or even hinted for a world-wide launch. yes they have reconfirmed their spring launch but no region was specified, although i think its safe to say that it will be in japan first. for a company who has no playable demos yet, i dont think that a worldwide spring launch is possible. they can make the japanese deadline with minimal titles and still sell great in japan. as for halo 3, that game hasnt even been announced yet, though we all know its coming, microsoft or bungie has never came out and officially announced the game. even though bill gates did mention halo 3 coming out the same time as ps3, dont hold your breathe and read between the lines of his claims. he didnt mean it in a literal sense but in the way that when the ps3 does launch (in america i think he was refering) it will launch against a competitor with a solid library of titles. halo 3 was mearly an example.

its too early to tell which system will be more powerful (with developers) so no way of making bold claims now. it is true that both systems will shaire a lot more titles this gen then the last as multiplatform titles will be the safest way to make money in the next gen. yes each system will get their exclusives as they always do and that is how people should base their judgement of what system to get. if you like GT, DMC, killzone, and rachet & clank get a ps3, if you like fable, halo, forza, PGR, or team ninja games get a 360. simple as that, with graphics no longer being a factor with how powerful these systems are its the games that will speak the loudest.

7. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Its very simple, do you want to play hd games and next gen console games now?

Or next year ?

Anyone who says the ps3 will definitly be out in spring is going to be very dissapointed I'm afraid.

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

There has been a HINT of a worldwide launch within a few weeks of each other, but of course (and I never said) it is not definate. The PS3 is DUE out in the spring, but again, it's not definate.

Halo 3 was in the making at the same time as Halo 2, according the one of the recent XBox Magazines Halo 3 is due out in the spring, again I never said definatly!

Everyone will just have to wait until the PS3 comes out to see what games are available and what playing on the PS3 is like.

9. Unified_Shaders

Unified_Shaders Banned

Personally, I dont see the ps3 hitting US shores any earlier than November '06, and like I said, if the thread starter is in Europe, it'll be an even longer wait for him. They will screw Europe as they always have, I dont see that changing.

I would be shocked if sony attemtped a worldwide launch, let alone one in 2 - 3 months from now. They are having a Devstation conference in March in Japan, so according to that date, you'd think the earliest it would be launched, In japan, would be april, and I still say thats unlikely.

And anyone who thinks Halo 3 will be out anytime soon is clueless. People need to STOP going by what fuggin retail stores are showing. It will be announced as Halo 2 was, by one of the big wigs at MS, its that simple. Do not believe ANY dates until that happens.

A game like that is driven on hype. With hype comes anxiety. Expect a *possible* Halo 3 date to be announced at E3. I can say with almost 100% certainty, the game will Not be out in stores b4 Nov 9th, 2006. You dont launch a huge game at any other time than fall/winter. Thats when they sell the best, and it gives gamers all summer to get anxious and spread the word. Now that viral campaigns are so popular, that just drives the hype even more.

If someone disagrees, you dont know much about the game industry. MS loves November.

Xbox: Nov 15th
    Live: Nov 15th
    Halo 2: Nov 9th
    360: Nov 22nd

Halo 3 will land between Late October and Early December, guaranteed. Get a spring/summer launch out of your heads. It wont perfectly coincide with the ps3 launch in the U.S. but it will be within a couple weeks of it.

PS3:
    Japan = May '06
    USA = Nov '06
    Eur = March '07

Total Speculation, but I've been correct on too many console launch dates in the past to start doubting myself now.

10. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Yes it is.

If they were both out I would say ignore the hype and follow the games, but as it stands my advice would be that if you want a new console before the end of the year then get a 360 now. Although the PS3 may turn up around autumn/winter time it'll probably be in majorly short supply and have very few games worth a second thought.

11. nintendoh

nintendoh What's a Dremel?

I have a 360 but I will still get a ps3 and of course a nintendo revolution,
    However ps3 will win the best sales yet again !

12. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I say forget the x360, get a nintendo ds, such a fun little handheld. Then wait for the ps3. :hehe:

13. Unified_Shaders

Unified_Shaders Banned

:jawdrop:

If the tables were turned and the ps3 was out and the 360 wasnt due for a while, and someone replied with..

"I say forget the ps3, get a nintendo ds, such a fun little handheld. Then wait for the 360"...

The term "Fanboy" and comments like "get the fug out of here Fanboy" would be shouted from the Heavens and an argument would start.

:duh:

Ouch

popcorn anyone?

14. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

yeah seriously DS, look at everyone's elses replies and look at yours. which do you think looks more like a typical "fanboy" answer? i atleast find relief that NO ONE shares your opinions :rock:

15. DivineSin

No, if the tables were turned, i would of said to flat down get a ps3, if you dont have enough money get a DS then save up for a ps3. And the term 'fanboy' refers to someone liking one company, if someone said to get a ds and wait for a x360..they wouldnt be a fanboy.

And xenos, if your refering to me, i'de think alot of people would share my opinion as the DS is selling pretty hot right now. :eyebrow:

16. Unified_Shaders

Unified_Shaders Banned

If I liked handhelds, I'd reply. Alas, I do not. I pray MS doesnt even bother, they will fail miserably, but Im sure they will try anyways.

You have a point as far as the fanboy comment goes, you don't like just one company. You like 2, and dislike the 3rd. Atleast be honest about that :)

And why are handhelds even being mentioned in a console thread? Totally different worlds.

Hows that popcorn?

17. DivineSin

What does it matter, if it is a console or a handheld? a game is a game, it just has to be fun and hating a console doesnt make them a fanboy unless they only like a single company. I have my reasons for not liking the xbox 360, just like i didnt like the xbox. Its games are totally not in my interests, and pretty much every x360 game you can get on another system/pc/arnt worth the money for. But lets look at the points..

1)The DS is available now, unlike the x360.
    2)The DS has several aclaimed games, that are must buys.
    3)The DS has fun cheap games.
    4)The DS is a fun cheap handheld.

Considering the ds is cheaper, has tons of great games, and is available now...why shouldnt i suggest it? It would be a great gaming machine to have in wait for the ps3. :thumb: Oh, but of course..i am a fanboy for liking both nintendo and sony and hating a console thats games i would never play...yea... :rolleyes:

18. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

no your a fanboy because of how biased you are, its blinding. you call me a fanboy and yet not only do i love xbox and nintendo but i will atleast acknowledge the accomplishments and achievements of sony and their grillmaster (i have to have some fun with it :hehe: ). you say none of the games interest you on the xbox when im sure there are MANY crossplatform games that you loved on the ps2 that look and play better on the xbox. i love how you take every chance to bash the 360 without even knowing jack about it, your ignorance has been quite amusing, but wait, your not a fanboy :rolleyes:

no one compares handhelds to consoles, their entirely different beasts. stating obvious comparisons like a handheld is cheaper is as stupid as saying that a bike is cheaper then a car. however as usual, you live in your own little world and believe what you want to believe. :duh:

Last edited: 27 Jan 2006
  19. Unified_Shaders

Unified_Shaders Banned

Again, mentioning a handheld in a console thread :duh:

Sure a game is a game, but a handheld is not the same as a console, or a pc, or anything else. Atleast you admitted you dislike the 360 and xbox. Im guessing you didnt get any cross platform titles on ps2? because if you did, and they happened to be titles like Splinter Cells, Recons, R6 3, and 100 others that look and play much better on xbox, thats good enough reason to own one no? Not to mention it offers Live. Hey what do I know, Im sure you'll twist my words in your next post and run to a Moderator b4 I'm able 2 shed more light.

Why not recommend he upgrade his pc so it can play modern games? A games a game, oh but thats an expensive alternative I suppose, silly me!. Did I miss where the thread starter mentioned handhelds? And that he had a budget? He hasnt replied since my first reply, so No he never mentioned anything about handhelds or a budget.

He kept it simple, or atleast he tried. I originally replied in an honest manner and would say the same thing to anyone.

Start the word twisting, thats what you do best Mr. Divine Sin.

Oh and Try the Popcorn please, its a special batch made by Kenny K himself :) It was synthesized to evoke emotion :thumb:

EDIT:

LMAO @ Xenos using the same emoticons

This ones my favorite... :duh:

That sums up Sins replies entirely.

Oh No! that was a personal attack! Im goin' down!!

20. DivineSin

Uh...yea...kinda hostile arnt we? If i hadnt known better you were xenos's twin brother. :hehe: Anyway, as you can see i also included the ps3 in my post..which would go along with the thread, correct? Please try to stay on topic and stop bashing someone for suggesting a cheaper alternative that he could start playing -now-.

Like i said man, get a ps3 when it comes out later this year, in the meantime i would suggest a Nintendo DS and a copy of Mario Cart DS. Might even want to wait a few more months as nintendo is releasing a DS lite if you think the original DS is too big.

Tags: