1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Urgent: AOl + router problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by A[L]C, 29 Jan 2006.

1. A[L]C

A[L]C What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I wonder if you can help.

Im trying to sort out a friends internet connection. They hav AOL broadband and a Belkin 802.11g Wireless Modem Router (F5d7632uk4).

The modem is syncing with the adsl line and is reporting that the internet connection has connected, but I cannot view any web sites. When I go in to the belkin software and run a test on the connection, it is passing the initial tests (PPPoe etc) and the IP ping, but it is failing on DNS.

Im assuming that the DNS server is not being correctly picked up by the router (it is currently set to automatic detection within the belkin router software). Does anyone know the AOL DNS server ip address? Or is there something else which could be causing this?

Ive got the router set to an MTU of 1400 which I believe is correct, and the network connection on the pc is set to obtain the ip address and default gateway automatically. This is connected via a network cable btw, not wireless.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as the AOL helpdesk quite frankly suck!

thanks

2. gbeeby

gbeeby What's a Dremel?

3. A[L]C

A[L]C What's a Dremel?

Just to update.... I can connect to a web page using the IP address, but if i type in the url I get page cannot be displayed. Am I correct in thinking this means the DNS servers are not being picked up?

4. A[L]C

A[L]C What's a Dremel?

5. gbeeby

gbeeby What's a Dremel?

ok i see

i accessed it through typing the aol keyword "home networking" into the aol address bar, look ath the settings there

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

pet hate this, but, this isn't really urgent. Nothing is going to become impossible if this has to wait till next week, or next month. It may be inconvenient and annoying, but it ain't urgent...crying wolf 'n' all that.

Tags: