1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC makin high pitch noise when usb transmitting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ErisDS, 22 Jan 2006.

1. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

I recently formatted my computer, since then my computer has been making a REALLY high pitched noise when ever it sends anything via USB.
    e.g. when charging my phone or using my mx2 lcd screen.

It's one of those noises which pierces your skull no matter how loud i play my music.. :grr: its really really annoying! Its rendered my mx2 useless, :sigh: and it means i have to unplug something if i want to charge my phone :miffed: :duh: . Does anyone know why it would suddenly do this?

It doesnt matter whether im using the USB ports at the front of my case that are plugged into pins on the mobo, the lcd screen which is plugged in to a different set of pins on the mobo, or the standard USB ports at the rear of the machine. They all make these noises. Sometimes they start off bearable but they always end up an incessant scream.

Is my mobo giving up the ghost in terms of usb??
    Any less pessimistic ideas?

2. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

I'm just bumping this once to see if anyone has any ideas?

3. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It sounds like some sort of component is oscillating when USB starts to transfer. Activate a large transfer, then use a microphone to isolate the source by putting it over each larger component on your motherboard in turn. When the recording volume spikes, you've found the culprit.

If that is the case, you can usually fix vibrating components with a dab of glue providing that they don't get too hot.

It might also be worth reinstalling the drivers in case there is some sort of conflict with your sound system.

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Where is the sound coming from? From your speakers, your internal buzzer or really a component from your mobo?
    If it is your speaker or buzzer, probably a driver foult,
    If it is your mobo, probably a component that's vibrating :)

5. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

Its coming from inside the case so something on the mobo not the speakers.. I'll try the microphone trick and see if i can find which component...

6. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

Ive tried the microphone trick, and i cant see anything obvious... and its so high pitched it has no direction once i open the case.

I asked my fiance to see if he could figure out where the sounds is coming from, or if he could see anything suspicious on the graphs my mic produces.. but he can't even hear the sound... and he has good high-frequency hearing (hes an audiologist...knows about these things)... so i guess its beyond anyones hearing range except my own, small childrens and cats and dogs :/ Drives me absolutely crackers though :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

7. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

If it's that annoying, you might consider lining the case with dampening foam or similar to absorb the sound. You'll also get the benefit of a quieter PC at the end of it.

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've never heard of going round with a microphone, try again by just "prodding" the components, one at a time. Applying a little pressure with your finger's enough to stop them vibrating.

After that I'd check all the standoffs were in properly and that the power connectors are in well.

9. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

Im pretty sure that its coming from the motherboard itself.
    i have tried the prod the component game to no avail.

It only happens if i actually transfer data (and i guess power) to the usb, like if i actually turn my lcd screen on, or plug my phone in.

I cant pin point where on the mobo its coming from.. perhaps its more than one place??

I have a feeling case linings wouldn't do much good, the noise is too high a frequency.. plus theres alot of perspex :)

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I guess all that's left to do is damage your hearing :rock:

It's strange that it happened after a reformat, did you change anything physically about that time?

11. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

Nothing, it was just your typical 6months of running XP format.

There is a new version of my bios marked "K8N-E Release BIOS 0303
    Path USB signal issue." Good old ASUS giving us plenty of information. I guess i'll have to try my first bios flash :/

Oh.. and its not my hearing im worried about, im sure clubs and concerts will sort that for me.. its my mental health i'd like to protect !