1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Underbed

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Spoonhead, 29 Jan 2006.

1. Spoonhead

Spoonhead What's a Dremel?

Hey guys long time lucker with a small bedroom and i am thinking of putting a underbed into my room to gain loads of space. Now you may all be asking what the hell a under bed is ? well it will be a bunk bed that instead of haveing a top bunk it will have a floor above the bottom bunk and then i will place a sofa and desk on this newly made floor. I think this may be my first project and i will probbely make this into a project long. I was just looking for some ideas, inputs and critasiums about the underbed itself and what i could add to it to make it uber sweet.

2. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Wait. You're putting a floor above the bottom bunk and then you are putting a sofa nad esk on this floor? Do you mean that you're going to have floor-space where the bottom bunk would normally be?

Anyways, if that is what you mean, don't forget that you may need another lamp b/c the bed might obstruct light or overshadow the sofa.

If you post a picture of the area in question, I think people would be able to visualize it better.

3. Spoonhead

i mean i am going to build a mezzanine floor and build a bed under it

4. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

Uhmm, instead of going through the long process of making a floor above your bed, why dont you just have a top bunk and use teh floor space under the bunk...?

5. Ziggy_man

Ziggy_man What's a Dremel?

what you are trying to make sounds like a loft bed to me. i have one with a couch under it. yo ucan buy them at ikea and places like that.

6. Stuey

No, I don't think he's going for a loft. He said he's building a floor above his bed and putting a sofa on top of it.

Where did you get the idea to do this? I don't mean any offense, but it seems a bit unfeasable; I can't envision this too well.

7. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Headline News:
    "Kid falls from 7 foot tall bed"

story at 6.. :naughty:

i dont quite get it really, are you wanting a bed on for lack of better words, stilts, or are you wanting a couch on .... stilts?

and wouldnt this be a bit more suited for a wood website and its forum

i dont really get it, sorry if im being not so understanding

8. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Tv carpenters
    uk = tomme walsh
    USA = new yanke workshop (is someone know the corrent spelling of yanke can they pm me?)

9. Stuey

LoL, so somewhere out there, there are people who build platforms and floors on top of beds, to hold couches?

10. Spoonhead

o.k it looking like no one can imagen what i am saying so i have done a quick picture of it for u guys to see.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Jan 2006
  11. Hackjedi

Hackjedi What's a Dremel?

is that really going to hold :eeek: ?

well ok that is very original, but the only comination i've ever seen was the other way around :hehe:

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It does sound very cool, and I can see why you'd want it(its uber). The main issue would be getting the weight supported, I mean, you'd need to have very strong vertical support, but also, you'd need to spread the weight of the sofa and people on the sofa very well, probably need some re-inforced wood(at least), stuff that had some high strength steel poles going through it I guess.

Plan that carefully, or else you can be pretty sure one day you're sofa will end up sitting on top of your bed, with some broken wood or metal in between.

edit: Maybe a steel frame with a wooden covering? You'd want steel poles going vertically ever foot or so I reckon along all the walls, not just one in each corner. Even then, god knows how stable it'd be. Talk to a professional imo.

13. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

If the feet of the sofa are quite far in from the supports of the "top floor", then it will be more likely to collapse. The smaller you can get the top floor, without it being so small that it is just the sofa, the better.

14. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

You'll sit up in bed every morning and bang your head?

When I first looked at your diagram I was trying to work out where a girl would go, I mean you're pretty limited in terms of positions. But then again, you've got the sofa on top...

15. Spoonhead

scaffolding i could build it use scaffolding it would work it strong and removable and it would give me that strange and weird look that i love

Last edited: 29 Jan 2006
  16. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I'm assuming that the drawing is roughly to scale? If so, I can foresee it being very annoying, with it being so low. Also if the sides are closed in, then it will be very claustrophobic.

17. Spoonhead

well the bed is going to be a standard double bed which is 4' 6" wide and 6' 3" and there will be 3 foot between the the top of the mattrise and the roof/seconed floor. 3 foot may not seem like alot of height but that about the height of my computer chair is so i will be able to sit up without banging my head and i also do like the closed in feeling like a coffien lol. Maybe that why i painted all my walls and ceiling black

18. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I've seen this done in quite a few college rooms and it usually works out pretty well assuming you build it sturdy enough. Have you looked at materials yet? I would recommend a mix of alu and plexi undernearth to give a nice lighting effect :hehe:

19. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

i honestly think this is pointless. why would you do it that way rather than a bed on a sofa? better yet, just have a sofa and sleep on it!! that way, no comprimises.

20. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

go for it. It's very common here in the dorms at the University of michigan, usually its the other way around, with a desk or sofa under neath, and bed on top. I've seen on edown here in an apartment like that. its sorta a conversation piece as its just fun climbing up to a couch. At any rate they are much more feasible then everyone is making them seem. The majority of the ones here are 2x4's with cross braces. Sometimes they giant suspension bridge like ones with 2 beds and such. I've even seen ghetto style ones where it was two book cases suspending a single bed over a desk. at any rate they are relatively easy to make.