1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Problem installing windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by Melov, 31 Jan 2006.

1. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

Trying to install window's on my friend's machine and we're getting problems...

His system is brand new and just bought everything. HE has 2 hard drives, both 80 gibs, the mater and slave is all setup properly and so are the cables...

We insert the disk, the CD rom plays and all that, it loads the basics up then when it trys to start the installation process we get an error screen (Blue screen of death pretty much):

Says a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent to your computer... says check for viruses and such but the HDD is clean...so it's weird...
    The technical says
    Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF70c9524, OxC0000043, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I'll try and get a picture later....

2. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Take out the slave drive. Double check the jumpers on the primary, and try it again.

3. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

We did, same problem. We even tried to use each drive as the master drive with no slave drive, same problem. I'm starting to think it isn't the hard drives at all.

4. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

get a bootable copy of memtest and run that.
    first though go into the bios and set the memory timmings to stock..(for the memory) << thats more a pet peeve i've had to much bad luck with Auto settings.

5. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

6. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

no errors with memtest

7. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Did you run CHKDSK? I've only ever seen this occur when there's been a hard drive or RAM problem. Not very likely, given that it's all new, but stranger things have happened.

8. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

yeah we did that...it checked it extremely fast - came back no errors

9. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

bump

10. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

New RAM as well? And you're sure it's compatible with the motherboard? New motherboard? I'm taking a stab in the dark here. I'm pretty much out of ideas. Good luck.

11. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

what else is in the system? I had that happen when i had a wireless adapter in a pci slot when i tried to install and then one other time with my Creative labs audigy gamer card.

Id say try one drive hooked up at a time, swap them so youve tried with each drive as primary and no secondary remove anything you dont need to install windows, extra cd-rom drives, pci cards ect. run as basic as you can.

12. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

You're not trying to set up RAID-0 with those two drives by any chance, are you? We got a similar problem today. We're reconfiguring one of our servers and the jumper settings were different because we weren't using an actual RAID controller. I'm lucky, though. We have the pros out to do this job and I'm not actually doing the work because it's a bit more than I wanted to take on.

13. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

nope, its all ide cables... The only thing extra we have plugged in that we wouldnt need would be his tv tuner card and a spare dvd player... I'll get him to try without those plugged in and see what happens

14. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

Get a Ultimate boot CD. run it run Diagnostics on both drives, I had an error where mental windows created a bunch of 1mb non-dos partitions on the hdd for no apparent reason. Then format both with it, using NTSC (or wtvr it tiss), and try installing windows with one HDD. Error may also come from one hdd havign bad sectors, maybe you can check and remap the hdd, but If I where you I would get it replaced. Blieve me I had ever error possible on my new system PITA you'll figure it out sooner or later....

15. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

where can i get that cd?

we tried unplugging the unnecessary things and we still got the same problem.

16. Malvolio

Malvolio .

This may sound silly, but give it a shot: try a different video card.

I've had the exact same error at the exact same time in install as you. The cause was a defunct video card (though in windows it worked 100%). No idea why, but it did it.

Also, you have tried a different CD-ROM drive, right?

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Sounds very much like the typical Windows won't install RAM issue.

It happens a lot of times when installing Windows, your RAM may be 100% perfect but for some reason during the install this issue crops up.

What to do is try with the RAM in different slots, then try with only stick of RAM, then if that fails swap to a different slot.
    Happens so often, but this usually allows you to get the install done, once Windows is installed put all your RAM back in and it should run just fine.

18. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

it's not every day we happen to have a spare pci express video card laying around :(

as for the ram thing....we'll try it. He only has 2 slots and 2 sticks of 512mb.

19. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Have a flick through this and see if anything is applicable.

20. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

I suggest taking everything that's not needed out, nic, sound, other hd's, etc...

Make sure the disk your using for install is new, no visible scratches, not nlited or anything like that...

Put only one stick of ram in...

Put in a known good cd-rom for booting from... sometimes old cd-roms will just screw up...

Tags: