1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Optimus mini three keyboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 1 Feb 2006.

1. lepre

lepre Minimodder

usually a thing that is 10times better doesn't cost 10 times the price but (lot) more :)

and if they buy thousands of large keys they may buy hundreds thousands smaller keys for keyboard, larger scale -> smaller price

2. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

You obviously don't understand economies of scale.

3. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

One thing that get me is the life of the display is only rated at 5000 hours. that not very long. I think 70,000+ hours is the norm for any full use display. That display is only rated to lasted about 2 year with 8 hours use. It look very nice and would make a nice add to a mod. but if i were goning to using i would wait till the MTBF is higher

4. lepre

lepre Minimodder

that's the well know issue for oled screens :D

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Price is wrong, idea is right. Either make it cheaper or more functional. To mirror what everyone else said, 3 buttons just isn't enough unless you're sitting at your desktop... it makes the three-finger salute a lot easier.

6. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

Hmm..a 100 dollar ctrl+alt+del pad.. :hehe:

7. dom_

dom_ --->

I know it sounds nasty but I cant wait till a big manufacturer nicks this and does a full keyboard cheaper.

Although my dream keyboard is Microsoft ergonomic 4000 mixed with those keys.
    OH GOD I NEED THAT ^

8. Risky

Risky Modder

If it actually came in at $100 dollars it might be a consideration - compare the price to Graphic LCDs, and it seems in line. Mind you the keys element is pretty irellevant and why don't they just make a programmable OLED display if they can?

9. customh

customh conflagration.

Well i posted that it was a disappointment in the other thread on this, then thought of the modding capabilities *drools.... 100 bucks is a big bill for something so small though

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!:hehe:
    why dont they do this keybord with normal lcds or pleds in the first models so people will jump to this technology faster and make less rich people like me want to have one and save their cash to buy one?

11. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

wow lol that looks pretty darn nice something i would never buy though... pobly should just make 6-20 key pad instead of a whole keyboard becuase imagine... you have the WoW keys ALLLover the board... how the hell r you spose to type??? lol avoid the special keys? lol VERY Cool tech though... its like 1 step below actualy touching and feeling your OS desktop...... 100$ though...... if your asian and celebrate chinese newyears and get lots of $$ you can probly preorder this :)

12. Petor

Petor What's a Dremel?

i think its suppost to turn back to letters when you press the "text" button. pretty clever

13. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

They should just put a LCD screen flat and a touch capacitive piece of glass over it, with little thin squares of glass to represent the keys. It could use a clicker speaker like those on the Ipod as click feedback, and it would probably be much easier to make if they had a company custom manufacture the screens for them. Higher MTBF, higher mass production value, cooler looks, higher res.

14. Payne280

Payne280 What's a Dremel?

a little pricey, but if I had the money I would buy a full size one when they are out

15. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

When I first read "end of 2006" for the full keyboard, I groaned and felt disappointed. Then I had an epiphany:

I might actually be able to afford it by then.

:D

And BTW...
    Whatever happened to good ol' "oriented"? :)

Last edited: 20 Mar 2006
  16. horgboy

horgboy haisup

ha ha looks like every1 shares the same idea (i.e. me as well lol)
    i think a restart, power on/off and a sleep button with sum fancy graphics would b good for modded pc's ... maybe also to control a fan controller press one button and then two arrows come up on display (up and down arrows)
    u press those buttons to increase or decrease fan speed lol....

quite a bit a modding potential perhaps?

17. FredsFriend

FredsFriend What's a Dremel?

I don't think that it would work as a power on/off button as it needs the computer to be on to power the display. Unless that is there was a second comp in there ued to power the buttons. Now that would be a mod :dremel:

18. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Hopefully they'll release the api for this as well, it'd be pretty useless if it wasn't properly customisable.
    And $100 isn't too much more than a LCD display, and for your extra cash you get full colour and three buttons, so it's not too badly priced (or LCD's are way over priced, depends on your point of view I guess).
    I can imagine them getting the full board out for $250 or so (econimies of scale, just like Meanmotion said)

19. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

wow :D i think everyone would buy them if they were at a reasonable price, i know i would... it's a great idea in my opinion and would be a pretty nifty way forward :eek: :naughty:

edit: I Want One! and everyone should buy one too :D :idea:

i would pay £40 for it but it's oviously going to cost Waaaaay more :waah:

20. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

This is a really neat idea!! However I must agree with most here, 3 buttons just isn't enough.

Naa I'll wait this something like Cebit 2007 where 20-30 asian firms have copies of this product available. That will drive the price down to a more sane level.

Tags: Add Tags