1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BFG Tech GeForce 7800 GS OC AGP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Feb 2006.

1. HellRazor

HellRazor What's a Dremel?

my question would be if its using the same core, the G70 then is it possible to unlock the remaining pipes and vertex shaders? I did it with my 6800 and turned it into a 6800GT *granted only 128mb*, but I was rather curious on that point, especially since it doesn't overclock all that well.

2. Bilbo Fraggins

Bilbo Fraggins What's a Dremel?

How does the 7800 Gs compare witha 6800 Ultra in the agp world..

3. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

4. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Except that SLI is hardly even worth it, your paying more for the motherboard and PSU, not to mention the extra heat and power consumption, for what, an extra 20% performance?

And how do you know the cards will still be around when you decide to upgrade? Just like a 6800 Ultra on AGP is practically impossible to find, and a 6800 GT AGP is in practically the same situation. You'll be lookin for a second 6800 GS PCIe and they'll only have PCIe2 cards at good prices.

Its all there just to get you to spend more money then you really need to, and its annoying to see people not only fall for it, but try and take others with them.

5. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Raw :) i got that to mate :) the 9800s are nice little beasts. Not looking to upgrade for a long while yet S-A still has some life in it yet.

Morgan.

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Nobody has succeeded in unlocking any G7x chips yet, since NVIDIA are using a new technique known as "laser-locking" to prevent the use of the disabled vertex shaders, texturing units and pixel pipelines.

7. Fahey

Fahey What's a Dremel?

Man so many people have agp alot are going to get them for a easier upgrade.

8. PhillyB

PhillyB What's a Dremel?

well i bit the bullet. called worse buy, tard on the phone said they didnt have it. i didnt believe him, and drove to my worse buy and it was there on the shelf. so i bought it, installed it. nvidias drivers didnt work, had to use the ones on the cd, they are the newest anyway. then i played BF2, ran great, so i upped it from 2x AA to 4x AA. still looked great. getting 60+fps and spikes up to 80fps.

then i noticed the temps were much lower, both on my cpu and video card. then i overclocked the card. went from 400 and 1250 to 470 and 1400, no jaggies. bf2 for an hour, no problems. still low temps. excellent.

i decided to get it, and keep my 'aging' agp solution until later this year, when upgrading to conroe, and whatever the newest card of the month is out. then ill build a new main system and build a decent lan gaming system out of this system.

9. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Heh, have taken 'the plunge' myself .. Was after a 6800GT-ish thing anyway .. figure I might as well pay the extra and get the better card.. It'll have to last until Oct/Nov now at least I'd imagine.

Bought the XFX eXtreme Gamer edition thing. Was only a few more quid than the normal eXtreme edition on Scan. Cost about the same as the BFG OC that was on OcUK, and it's clocked higher! :rock:

Goes without saying that I *could* OC, but that's more luck/gamble than anything.

This card in particular was actually £270 on OcUK. Tell me again, why haven't they gone out of business yet? :eyebrow:

10. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

An extra 20% performance? I've read several reviews in wich 2 7800GT go head to head (even surpassing at several benchmarks) a mighty x1900XTX. And I'm sure than a x1900XTX is not a 20% better performer than the nVidia card...

If the 7800GT is not half the price of the ATI monster, it'll be soon. Given that I already have one, and a SLI capable board (Gigabyte K8N-Sli for a mere 90€...not really more expensive than loads of non-SLI boards), I can get the x1900XTX performance for half the price right now. That's not a bad deal in my book.

Not at all. I was on a budget when I built my current rig...I just made sure I was going to have all options open when I wanted to upgrade. 90€ for a good performer, SLI capable board doesn't seem "more money than needed" (the non SLI version was like...81€). I get to enjoy the excelent 7800GT performance for 6 months, or so, and if I feel the need, I can upgrade to x1900XTX level for very little then, or to a new platform if available and reasonably priced. And all that for what, 9€? not bad at all, if you ask me.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

1). You can't buy an X850XT PE AGP in the UK for anything close to the price of GeForce 7800 GS.

2). Most 'other sites' use time demos, not real-world gameplay. More often than not (as we've proved before now), time demos don't represent real-world gameplay and we stand by our numbers in this review.

3). We used an FX-51 system because our only socket 939 AGP motherboard died during the process of completing this review. PCI-Express has been around for 18 months now, and I don't think we've reviewed an AGP card since October 2004. We tried to set up a Pentium 4 system too, but that also failed to materialise. With the limited time available, the only option was to use the Socket 940 system that should represent something similar to an Athlon 64 3700+.

12. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Well, mine came today (fast as hell from Scan :D ).

Ran 3DMark '05, and I've been running through Quake 4 etc. Feels great to be gaming again, and more importantly -- faster than last time! :rock:

Won't post up the same info twice, it's all here. :worried:

13. tintin

tintin What's a Dremel?

i've got a 3.4 P4 on an 875P chipset and i was looking to upgrade my 9800XT to GeForce 7800 GS AGP..is this wise or should i just go for pci express in like 3 years when i can afford it?

14. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

I think the general concensus I've had is to stick with something like that. It's probably not worth the upgrade, unless you were going to new architecture along with it. :)

15. customh

customh conflagration.

Id have to disagree, if its going to be three years, i would upgrade if you feel like your games aren't looking good and you just want something better, otherwise wait til you can switch you board and all to pci-e. Or you could go with a cheaper 6600gt agp of whatever is the next lowest (i cant remember if they did a 6800gt agp)

16. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Well yeah, three years is a long time to wait. Might wanna do it next year sometime :D

And yes, they did make 6600 and 6600GT versions in AGP :)

17. Loomy

Loomy What's a Dremel?

18. computerman0416

computerman0416 What's a Dremel?

I bought my 7800 GS last night. SHould be here in about a week. I think it will out perform my current 9600XT! LOL!

19. myselfinsideout

myselfinsideout What's a Dremel?

evga 7800 gs superclock

I will tell ya, I have this one and it rocks, 460 core & 1350 effective

you can overclock to 490 and 1.49

I run mine at 480 1.4

I can play any game on max

I tested on FEAR ON MAX and 40 was my lowest, average was 68 or something, I reached 89 for highest.

If just on high settings it averages around 100

this is a sweet deal if you didnt want to go all out and rebuild
    This one is flawless.
    I picked mine up for 3bills @ New#$g

gigabyte board
    XP 2900 CPU
    plus the 7800
    1GIG PATRIOT
    TWO 80 GIGGERS, STILL IDE
    NEC DVDRW BURNER
    LITEON DVD/CDRW
    epower 500w 12v 28amp otherwise I wouldnt own it, Its good and its cheap $50.50

Last edited: 22 Feb 2006
  20. computerman0416

computerman0416 What's a Dremel?

I recieved last night and installed with default settings. I will turn on additional setting tonight to see how well it runs

Tags: Add Tags