1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade time, need some feedback.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chronic, 22 Jan 2006.

1. Chronic

Chronic What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    Well its that time again said i was going to do an upgrade last year but put it off anyway now its getting a must do.. so was woundering whats the Best out there in:

Motherboards
    CPU
    Ram
    Graphics Card (SLI)
    Sound Card (guessing SB X-Fi by side of screen :) )

Was thinking on AMD Cpu and Must be SLI Mobo, anyone want to leave feedback would be greatfull...

Thank..

2. sailorboy

sailorboy What's a Dremel?

Do U want go with the Cutting edge or a resonable midrange system??

If U got the money AMD FX-60 is fastest out there... but its very overpriced! A better choice would be the AMD X2 4400+

and with sli motherboard the Asus A8N SLI Premium is a safe pick.. personaly I have the DFI Lanparty UT SLI DR Expert and are very happy with it...

and if U ask me wich video card to buy I would go with 7800GT and then bios overclocking them... then U end up with something that performes almost equally fast as a standard 7800GTX for a lot less money..

3. FaiNT`

FaiNT` What's a Dremel?

If you provided us with some sort of budget it would help a lot..

4. Chronic

Chronic What's a Dremel?

Budget is £2,000 for it want to go Top spec, did that last time..

Realy wanted for gaming so faster the better..

Like that idea sailorboy :) will look into that.

5. Eliminos

Eliminos What's a Dremel?

So do you need case/keyboard/mouse/screen/speakers?

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If you have a 2k budegt then get a fast dual core CPU. It;'s not worth getting an opteron anymore, as late steppings are rubbish, and often dont clock as high as a X2. A X2 4400 at least I'd say.

As for GPU, then if you can get your hands on one, Id go for the 7800GTX 512.. or perhaps two decent clocking 7800GTX 256s in SLI.

Ram: Again.. if you can find any... OCZ EB or Mushkin Redline XP4000 are the weapons of choice now Ballistix have been withdrawn from sale. Having said that, I can't rave enough about this Corsair RAM i've just got as a make-shift solution.... 275MHz with reasonable timings, all in a 2Gb kit that costs a little over £140!! Cant complain at that.

Get fast drives.... or at least a fast C drive. The new larger capacity Raptor looks nice. Failing that, the new 500Gb Deskstar is probably the next best bet. Seagate 7200.9 is a third choice. I was hoping for more from the Seagate 7200.9 as my 7200.7s were, and indeed still are brilliant drives.

Case is a personal choice, but I;ve always sworn by Lian Li.. just be careful about the newer V series if you want that new Asus board, as the heatpipe won't work upside down. The Lian Li PC series are OK tho. Anything by Coolermaster also has my endorsement.

Too tired to type more, but Im sure others will fill in any gaps.. Off to London at stupid o'clock in the morning, so I'm just having a brief bit tech session tonight.

I've not been bothering looking at soundcards for a while, as the sound on this DFI board is surprisingly good!

What about a PSU? Hi end rigs need power. Just avoid cheap PSUs... go for known brands like Enermax, ANtec, Hiper et al.... and make sure it's got plenty in reserve.. 500 watts minimum... as you have a reasonable budget, stretch to a 600+ job.

Motherboard: If you like overclocking, then the DFI NF4 SLI-DR is still probably the best bet, or this would be a great choice too!

7. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

isn't bit-tech best buy for this :p

8. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

Not really to replace informed discussion as things will change based on everyones comments within Bit-Tech forums (I like to read through most posts in general to keep an open mind and update accordingly)

Pookey head spotted the Corsair RAM and I think Hitman mentioned about the Compatibility issue with the Asus + Lian-Li (upside down mobo problem) for example....

The A8N Premium has been improved on, the DFI has had some issues reported by Mr Tad if I recall correctly.

Ohh almost forgot Bit-Tech Best Buy

9. Chronic

Chronic What's a Dremel?

Thanks some great help there, as for case and powersupply allready have a Nice case, powersupply is 550watt and Hard-drives are 200gig & 300gig they new so Ok on that end..

Gave me some nice idea's I thank you for your Help!

Update:

Just spent a few hours looking around came to this so far..

Mobo:
    Asus A8N-SLi Premium NF4 S939 DDR400 PCI-E SATA Raid Gbit Lan 8Ch Audio

Cpu:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+ S939 1MB (2.2)

Ram:
    2GB (2x1GB) Corsair, PC3500LLPRO (**A8N32-SLI**), 2-3-2-6, 2x184p unbuffered non-ECC DIMM

GPU: (Twin)
    512Mb XFX PCI-E GF7800GTX Standard GDDR3 2xDVI ViVo TV Out (G70)

SoundCard:
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition Sound Card - Hi-End

All comes to £1,836,13 so under budget :)

Last edited: 23 Jan 2006
  10. customh

customh conflagration.

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

The 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair, PC3500LLPRO doesn't clock as high as the 4000PT, which is why I chose it over the LL.

The LL is a good choice if you're not into overclocking at all, otherwise it struggles to reach 250 usually.

The PT is cheaper too.

12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Just get an X1900XTX when they come out on Tuesday; they will be far less than the 7800 GTX 512, and they crush _everything_ according to The Inq :naughty:

13. Chronic

Chronic What's a Dremel?

What the Diffrence between a Evga ? looked on manufactures website at two cards the one I picked and a Evga card they both same specs.. the XFX is the maker of the card by the way..

As for PSU its a 520W Hyperpower PSU.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2006
  14. customh

customh conflagration.

Some of the xfx cards that are SLi capable use regular molexes. That may not seem like an issue to you, but to the guy that just bought a nice SLi certified PSU that has 2 PCI express 6 pin plugs coming off of it, well id want to use those. I looked on xfx's site and found out that their 512 edition doesnt have that problem, it uses the PCIe plugs. The 256 cards that are XFX (their green special edition ones) use regular molexes. That was why i said what i did, now i say go for the XFX!!! Sorry i didnt do my resarch. And as for ATI, dont count your chickens before they hatch.

15. Chronic

Chronic What's a Dremel?

Thanks Customholle for checking (he a nice man) :) so you think a Hiperpower 520w (found model number after digging box out HPU-3S525) will be fine or what ???

Thanks for info...

16. customh

customh conflagration.

Is this a Hiper power supply, because if it is, its a fine PSU and if it has 2 pciE plugs im guessing its new enough too, give us some pics of it-- or links to where you bought it

17. Chronic

Chronic What's a Dremel?

Well went and bought it :) a new system got a little problem at moment as one of the memory sticks was bad but I run it on 3Dmark 2006 with just one memory stick in the PC and got a score of 7336 :D thats on:

Mobo:
    Asus A8N-SLi Premium NF4 S939 DDR400 PCI-E SATA Raid Gbit Lan 8Ch Audio

Cpu:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+ S939 1MB (2.2)

Ram:
    2GB (2x1GB) Corsair, PC3500LLPRO (**A8N32-SLI**), 2-3-2-6, 2x184p unbuffered non-ECC DIMM

GPU: (Twin)
    512Mb XFX PCI-E GF7800GTX Standard GDDR3 2xDVI ViVo TV Out (G70)

(dont forget thats was just 1 memory stick) 1GIG installed...

I must Thank you all who helped me with picking this...

Soon as I get me memory back I will do a new 3DMark run on others versions..

Thanks...

18. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

Look forward to your feedback :)

19. Chronic

Chronic What's a Dremel?

Problem with a Blue Screen

Hi,
    Well said I would post some Scores from 3DMarks so here are some :)

3DMark 2001: 24797

3DMark 2003: 30991

3DMark 2005: 11558

3DMark 2006: 7351

Not sorted links out but gives you some idea of what i have now :D

Last edited: 18 Feb 2006