1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell 24inch Wide--- WOW!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pookeyhead, 28 Jan 2006.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Just tried a ps2 to s-video cable (accidently bought that off ebay a while ago, nice to know it's become handy!), and the quality is much better than composite. Would go for that tbh.

Now what can I use composite for....?

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

None whatsoever. As other have pointed out... black levels are poor compared to a CRT, but to be honest.... I couldn't care less. The Brightness is incredible, and the sharpnss beyond belief. I'd have still bought it at full price, but at that price, it was a no brainer.

Trawl Ebay for a used one if necessary, but you must get one!

3. AndyO

AndyO What's a Dremel?

Well I'm desperate to get one now :)

I actually just saw something really encouraging on another forum which is that the Scan Today Only offers really are based on the most requested items!

...hence if you folks reading this really want to see that Pookey's ace £499 offer for the 2405 repeated - ask them! :thumb:

I certainly have and I thought it would be worth posting here too as there's blatantly a bunch of people still interested in the monitor for some reason :)

mail the request to themanwhocan @ scan.co.uk and keep your fingers crossed that our requests are up there with the most popular!!

4. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Has anybody played with both the 20" and 24" ones? The quoted brightness is much greater on the 24", and I wondered if it was noticably brighter. If it is, wow. My 20" can pretty much light up most of my room.

5. MrWillyWonka

Why is the contrast on the 2005fpw locked? Any way to unlock it, I'd rather change the contrast on the monitor than on the nvidia control.

6. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I can't even find the contrast setting :/

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I think that's a general thing with DVI - you should be able to change it through drivers. I could swear my brightness control doesn't do anything over DVI either, even though I can set it. Just tested it in S-video mode and both brightness and contrast work perfectly.

8. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Ahhh the great CRT vs LCD debate lives on. At my friends house he has a 19" LCD, I have about a 20" CRT, he looks at his monitor then looks at mine and says this is what you dont need and points 2" from the front to the back of my monitor. I say shut up and eat my contrast ratio and refresh rate.

I am interested in one of those 24" beasts but they are too expensive. I got my monitor for $20 off ebay and it works fine, you cant even touch that kind of response time, contrast, and size (screen size) for 10 times what I payed. From what I have seen, mostly in best buy and what friends have your only advantage to a LCD is the size, if you have a big desk and dont mind the occasional heavy lifting a CRT is still superior. However I still wouldnt turn down a one of those 24" widescreens. :D

Im still looking for a bigger monitor if anyone knows of a good source.

9. MrWillyWonka

Just tested it too on s-video on my ps2, and i can change the contrast, did know it was limited by dvi, tbh i didn't expect that to be the case as dvi is superior to vga!

10. AndyO

AndyO What's a Dremel?

Just thought I'd let you know I did it :)

Got tired of waiting for Scan to get stock to repeat the offer (Dell are choking supply a little I think)...so got my 2405 from ITCSales.co.uk for £613 delivered. About £100 more than Scan I guess, but never mind. Better than Dell's £700+

Should arrive today! Got my G5 mouse yesterday too so I can cover those 1920 pixels in a jiffy at 2000DPI :D

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Quoted for fantastic use of underused english :D

You realise it's not "2000 pixels on screen per inch of movement" it's "2000 pixel samples per inch of desk". So unless you intend to whack up the sensitivity then you'll be scrolling as fast as anyone else.

If noone's welcomed you already, welcome to Bit, Andy :)

12. AndyO

AndyO What's a Dremel?

Many thanks :)

Yeah, I realise the dpi rating doesn't relate to pixels travelled, just meant that with my new uber-swift mouse I'd make better use of all that real estate :naughty:

Actually, that raises a good point I've always wondered about...wouldn't a higher DPI rating on the sampling side make little or no difference to your pointer speed?

I realise that hypothetically if you sampled 1dpi you'd have to lob your mouse a fair old way to trigger a 'hey, I'm moving' realisation, but the difference between say 800 and 2000DPI would surely be fairly minimal, and yet is makes a really big difference...howzat?

I thought optical mice tracked movement by recognition and therefore wouldn't that negate the dpi part completely? Or am I being a muppet here? :worried:

bag of sweets for the first person who says they work by magic. :idea:

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's e-penis.

Like all snake oil products some people claim it makes a difference, like moving from a 3Ghz to 3.2Ghz.
    Optical mice get recognition from firing photons at the surface of your desk or leg or whatever. The greater the resolution of the optical receptor the more accurate it is to movement.