1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROJECT: Nightmare³ Feb 16 Updated Pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angry_Steel, 1 Oct 2005.

1. Angry_Steel

Angry_Steel What's a Dremel?

Well lots of stuff happening the last couple of weeks, with hardly any progress on the project. :sigh: I had to put on my surgeons gloves and switch to my Sis-in-Laws computer that suffered a power surge, it did quite a number on it. Now that I have her computer functioning again, its time to get back to business.

1. In the next couple of days Im going to look at re-formatting the main project log to make it more freindly, and spruce up the discussion thread here.

2. The only thing that is really keeping me from finishing the lower part (WC) is I ran out of the L Aluminum Checkplate. I ordered another 35 Feet a week ago, so that should be in soon.

3. I picked up some Aluminum sheeting last week too, and that will be my first item on the to-do list for the top part of the case, more on that soon.

Didnt want anyone to think that this was a dead issue, just had other things to take care of.

2. Sheolraver

Sheolraver What's a Dremel?

Heya Angry. Amazing bit of construction there bro.
    I was wondering if you had an update on your intentions
    for the system main components.
    Slaine here.

3. Angry_Steel

Well as it stands now, and probably will remain, as Im fresh out of capital for anything more:

Asus A8N-SLI-Deluxe
    AMD FX-55
    6800 Ultra
    2 x 74 gig Raptors
    2 x 250 gig Barracudas
    Audigy 2 Zs
    2 x Plextor 712's

Im skipping the whole 7800 line, not really by choice, but by the fact that I bought all this stuff months ago. Ill just wait till the next gen cards come out and get one of those.

Ive got alot done on the upper case, just havent gotten around to posting anything in the worklog, Ill do that on Sunday probably.

4. Angry_Steel

Upper Case

Sorry for the delay to anyone who has been following this thread, Ive had other things going on and havent had a chance to update anything. Here is the latest happenings along with a couple of pictures. Better pictures soon when I drag the thing outside.

Ive continued work on the top case where the main components will go. Originally I had sheet steel to plate the entire inside of the case with. Unfortunately, with the high humidity here and being close to the coast with the salt air, I had immediate flash rust on the first piece that I attempted to use. I switched to 1mm Aluminum, but I first had to get the piece of steel off after using professional contact cement. Here are some pics of the results.

[​IMG]

Needless to say it took quite a lot of effort to get that damn thing off. Then I had to clean off all the contact cement which took a half a bottle of Acetone, 3 razor blades, and a lot of elbow grease.

[​IMG]

After that I started cutting the Aluminum and fitting it to the panels. I have most of the Aluminum cut and have been alternating between painting it and cementing it.

[​IMG]

The power supply box is fitted to the top and is plated with aluminum and painted black. The whole inside will be painted. More pics when I can get better lighting outside tommorow.

5. Angry_Steel

Updated Project log with a few pictures. The most current update will now be in the first post, so people dont have to scroll through everything each time.

6. Angry_Steel

Ive been working on the front-inside panel today among other things and thought I would pop some pictures up. This panel was the most work, and Im glad to get it out of the way. I just finished up cutting slots for the fan-module hinges in the aluminum, so they would sit flush insted of just being screwed on top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then after some sanding, priming, sanding and little paint we have it done.

[​IMG]

Next stop is painting the 3 fan modules, and assembling and mounting the front panel (3 parts). After that I need to frame for the side doors and build the doors.

7. Angry_Steel

Added December 16 update.

8. Garbach

Garbach What's a Dremel?

Any more updates? can't wait to see how this one turns out!

9. Angry_Steel

Thanks for the interest. Ill update in a few days, Ive been doing small things here and there as I have had more pressing things to take care of.

10. Angry_Steel

Lots done, Lots more to go....

Lots of little and not so little things done. The whole inside has been plated with aluminum sheet and painted. All the holes for the power cables, tubing etc have all been drilled. The actual construction is done now, just assembly and painting left to go. Right now Im finishing up on my last coat of Bondo on the screw holes, etc.

[​IMG]

Hard drive/powersupply side. Hard to see anything actually.

[​IMG]

Motherboard Side, the holes are for the cables to run into the seperate power supply box, they have foam between to minimize any abrasion to the cables and also to eliminate airflow between the different sections.

[​IMG]

Top view where you can see the interior lid of the power supply box. The power supply is completely seperate from the entire computer and has absolutely no role in cooling anything but itself. Its fed by its own 120mm fan.

[​IMG]

Motherboard side showing holes in the base for the water-cooling tubing. The set of holes at the back is for the CPU and the ones in the front for the GPU. The tubing for the CPU will go behind the motherboard and over. The ones for the GPU just up and in.

[​IMG]

Back view. Cardboard is in preparation for painting the outside.

Currently Im still busy plating the doors with Aluminum, and making the front bay door which will keep dust off the cd/dvd etc.

11. Angry_Steel

Updated Worklog w/pics.

12. Angry_Steel

Painting

Well it was a beautiful day with just a little breeze, so I decided to get the rough part over with and attempt to get a good couple of coats of paint on the top part of the case.

[​IMG]

Nice day! :thumb:

[​IMG]

Break out the paint!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Setting it on its little brother for transport.

[​IMG]

Actually Starting to look like something, :D

[​IMG]

And a last look before it gets wheeled into the nether regions of the house.

13. Angry_Steel

Updated Worklog w/pics. Painting day!

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Oh my fooking god, I'M MOVING TO SPAIN!!11 :D It's been -30c here and I'm pretty pissed off. I went to Tenerife last winter and it totally rocked..

Project is looking nice tho that'd be a bit too huge to me.

15. Angry_Steel

Actually I think someday I would like to get up to that part of the world :)

Thanks, Yea its a little big but it will fit nicely into this spot by my desk, I think you will agree when I post the final pics of it....Someday. Things should start picking up now that I have the paint on the top without a bunch of debris blowing onto it.

16. Fahey

Fahey What's a Dremel?

breath in those wood chips

17. Angry_Steel

Case Bay Door

I needed to make a door for the 5 1/4 bays so that I can keep them dustproof. I could have made just a black front but decided to spice it up a little. I had a window etch and decided to do a little messing around. I cut out a shape around the etch, and spray painted the back black to highlight the etches. After sanding off most of the black, I added a coat of red, and ended up with this.

[​IMG]

After I had that, I needed to cut out the door, and use router and chisel to get the desired depth to embed the etch into the door.

[​IMG]

I polished a piece of aluminum to a mirror finish (fun fun) and cut it to the same shape as the etch. Then I random sanded the back of the etch again to give an abstract appearence and placed the aluminum behind it. Slapped on a case badge in the square that I chisled out and one bay door.

[​IMG]

There is a magnet already imbedded in the case, so all thats left now is putting the handle on, and the catch for the magnet, and the hinges.

18. Angry_Steel

Updated Work Log w/pics (Case Bay Door)

19. Angry_Steel

Casework Feb 16

I have been finishing up on the rest of the metalwork and Im pretty much complete. Heres a couple of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up of the latches I have installed as a (really unecessary) backup to keep the top case to the bottom.

More and better pics soon, wasnt in a photo happy mood today.

20. Angry_Steel

Updated Work Log w/pics (Casework)