1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors How Safe Are Motorbikes?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tibby, 15 Feb 2006.

1. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I am about to start driving lessons soon, but I really want to take motorbike lessons instead.

My mum is going a bit OTT but at the end of the day it is my choice.

My main reasoning, is that my halls at uni doesn't have car parking but has bike shed/garage thingys.

I just want to know, how hard is it to learn compared to driving, is it really that unsafe?

How does it compare on fuel price etc?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'll put it this way, I nearly hit one on the motorway the other day pulling into a different lane. Despite checking my blind spot and my 2 mirrors prior to overtaking I only saw him once I was in the lane and he was RIGHT behind me.
    Car drivers get used to looking for cars cause bikes arent too common. You're also significantly more likely to die or get seriously injured if you get hit riding one.

I spose they're fun and cheaper, if you survive long enough.

3. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

how safe are you is the better question, and you awareness of other road users who WILL NOT notice you on a bike as much as a car.

Bikes can get very sketcy in the wet/snow/ice very prone to side winds.

i'd pass you driving test first to get used to how the other arsehole road users are like and get experience didging people who dont look before pulling out of juctions etc, cos if you crash in a car you are more likely to walk out alive than if you have the same accident on a bike.

4. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I had an idea for an invention actually.

What if all motorbikes were fitted with like RFID tags or stronger,

and when they got near to cars, a light would come on in the car, so they would know to be careful and look for one?

5. Mad-Axl

Mad-Axl What's a Dremel?

As previously stated its more about you than the fact your on a bike.

There are some seriously lunatic bike riders where i live that just love rubbing their front wheels on your bumper and sit in your blind sport for miles and miles then filter between two cars doing like 50mph.

I hate these idiots.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Most people I saw in the brain injury unit as a consequence of a road traffic accident were riding a motorcycle. When you sit astride what is essentially an engine block balanced on two wheels propelling itself over hard asphalt at, say, anything between 30 to 90mph, one wrong move (by you or someone else in traffic) and you're history. I think motorbikes are beautiful pieces of engineering, but you won't catch me riding one.

The RFID tag is too expensive and too complicated to apply on a large scale. And people don't use mirrors as it is. If you drive in such a way that you have to rely on others to notice you, you're a goner already.

7. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

yeah my mum works in a hospital, she says most hospitals refer to motor bike riders as organ doners.

I still want one but i'd prob only ride in in good conditions and have a bike with quite light colours. Plus i'd use my horn a hell of a lot...!

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Light colours makes no difference. You could have full beams on and people might still miss you.

9. PilchY

PilchY Minimodder

Bikes are ok.. just you need to be rather alert in what you are doing and be aware taht almost anything can casue you to fall off.....

Side wind, sudden swerving due to a numpty not seeing you to a simple thing as diesel on the road.... I think ill stick to off road motorbikes... plus i like my stero as i am driving.

10. logan

logan flashback!

I'm moving to Sheffield soon and think a bike would be handy for the commute. But they do scare the crap outta me.

My cousin had a car pull out in front of a junction right in front of her and she basically went over the bonnet - breaking her legs on the handlebars as she did. Even though she was wearing a helmet she was in a coma for a while and suffered long after the incident.

This video shows a biker hitting an out of control car - recorded by his own helmet cam:
    http://www.break.com/index/helmetcamcrash14.html
    Warning - this is obviously not particularly pleasant viewing, but it does not involve death or blood.

11. rK@NE

rK@NE Rover's gonna get it...

I ride a Zx6R and is the best thing I've ever bought. Show me a car that will do 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and do 170 Mph that cost £1300 :p

On a serious note, if you want to ride a bike. Get in and do your CBT, you might not even like the feeling of riding a bike. The feeling of beeing so vulnerable puts a lot of people off. However if you do like it get yourseld a cheap 125 that does 100mpg and get some road experience.
    Or if you're over 21 Book your DAS and get straight onto a bigger bike :thumb:

EDIT: Logan that rider in the video is a "her" and can you believe he claimed it was her fault for hitting him?!

Last edited: 15 Feb 2006
  12. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I also have to agree with the people above - my mum also used to work in casualty and most motorbike RTAs involved serious head injuries. We also used to live near an accident blackspot, and had a motorbike accident outside our front door - the bike rider had slid and gone under the wheels of a car. They found his head 50ft down the road...

Not for any amount of money in the world would you get me on a motorbike.

13. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

The risk is your to take, I find it a blast. I have only had my own bike for 1 season but have had few problems. Your biggest advantages are your small, light, agile, and quick. Those are also your biggest disadvantages. I have a blast riding down the freeway at 75+ mph with just my helmet (like that will help) jeans and a t shirt, on cooler days I have a heavy leather jacket.

I completely agree that they are unsafe and nobody cares about what they cant see, that wont stop me though. Your best bet if you do want to ride is to take precautions, helmet gloves jacket boots, and try to think one step ahead of everyone else.

14. logan

logan flashback!

Apologies - was watching with the sound off. :thumb:

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

They're fairly dangerous things, much increased chances of dying over cars, but intrestingly up here in the north of Scotland(where everyone knows of a couple of people who've been killed/seriously injured in biking accidents) its the middle aged dudes that crash most, the young people die far less often, I presume because they're better at learning it(less time in cars) and are more aware that they have to be carefull and alert at all times.

16. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I have a scooter and had 2 crashes and one rear end gave out when I hit some oil, none of them were I seriously injured but I wear padded trousers too. I've had soo many near misses too, some my fault but many car drivers not seeing you are just not paying attention on the road.
    It is dangerous, fecking cold too and when the rain hits I often think oh why didn't I bring the car too work today. But then on days its sunny and warm and 4 mile traffic tailback I think I'm glad I went to work on the scooter and can get home in 25 minutes. But overall it's worth the risk if you enjoy it, but be prepared to folk out for clothing and a new helmet every couple of years.
    Also forgot about riding in the snow unless your mentally unbalanced or a courier which equals to the same thing.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2006
  17. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I guess that statistic has more to do with the 'Born again biker' syndrome, rather than ability to learn.

'BABS' effects blokes who had bikes when they where young, enjoyed it but due to work / family / other reasons etc got a car and stopped riding, but have got to a point in their life where they have enough disposable income to buy a bike again for fun.

The problem being is that the bikes they can afford these days are hugely more powerful than the ones they had earlier in life, and those unfortunate to have accidents find out that the beast they bought is more capable than they are.

I know around here that a lot of the bike shops will only sell the larger bikes to people who sign up for some extra training on how to handle them - regardless of age.

18. babychaos

babychaos What's a Dremel?

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/statistics.htm

You are 40 times more lightly to die on a motorbike than a car.

That said, bikes are a lot of fun. I've had 2 crashes, one low speed (fractured elbow) and one high speed (bruises), and walked away from both. Wear the right gear, and use a bit of common sense and you'll be far more lightly to get away with accidents. I wouldn't use anything else for getting me from A to B. And I'll never go anywhere without armour. You do have to accept that you've picked an inherently more dangerous mode of transport, but its not worth worrying too much about it, or you'll never enjoy it.

I think a lot of the accidents are new riders (or BABS as GOO says) getting bikes that are simply far too powerful for them. A basic 500cc "trainer" (such as a CB500 or ER-5) is going to be more than you ever need for 90% of UK road situations (0-60 in sub 5 seconds, will cheerfully rip down the motorway at 80+mph). You don't need a 1 litre crotch rocket throwing you down the road.

Another good thing about bikes, every other biker is your friend. Its like joining a national club. From the casual nod as you pass to the chats about the roads when you stop somewhere. I once got wedged in among a Harley crowd stuck behind a horse box on a country road, and we went along for about half an hour just chatting.

<added>
    As you can tell from the replies, bikers tend to have a mild addiction to the things. We know its dangerous, but at the same time you become far more aware of everything (road conditions, other road users, the machine you are riding). Its a much more intense experience than a car can ever be.
    </added>

BC

Last edited: 16 Feb 2006
  19. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Sounds a bit like my Dad, but without the monstrously powerful new bike. He and Mom did a bunch of motorcycle touring back before kids (20+ years ago), and he went out and bought an old 1100cc Goldwing last summer. It's now his main commuting vehicle, which means our gas-guzzling Suburban can stay in the garage more.

I've got my endorsment too, but I'm quite happy with Mom's 250 cc Rebel. (I rode bicycles a lot, and I prefer the light bike. 60+ MPG is nice, too.)

Don't let anyone tell you differently: Motorcycles are dangerous. However, they're also a blast, and I'm thoroughly addicted. Wear a helmet, wear armor, always assume that the car doesn't see you, and never even think about riding drunk, and you should be fine.

20. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Yes, to all of it. You can find a wrecked R1 easy, noobs buy them and wonder why they cant handle them. And it is like joining a club, you wave when passing, if you have a problem usually someone will stop. And you are many times more aware on a bike than in a car.

Tags: