1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling an o/c Opteron 144

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brightside_, 11 Feb 2006.

1. brightside_

brightside_ What's a Dremel?

Hello, I was told to head here for some advice on cooling and getting my 144 above the 2.7GHz barrier I seem to have reached.

Specs are currently:
    ABit AN8-Ultra Mobo
    Opteron 144 UP CABNE stepping
    1GB(2*512) Corsair Twin-X XMS 3200C2PT
    Vapochill Micro Extreme Performance.

On current temperature readout at 28 degrees Idle at startup, 34 idle after games use, and 54 Degrees Load using Speedfan 4.27 and OCCT From reviews, and a wide variety of different sites and friends, the Vapochill comes out looking like utter crap, and the high 54 Degrees load seems to be showing that. Under normal load usage, e.g CS:S I get about 40 degrees which isn't too bad.
    The problem is that I would love to try and hit the 3GHz barrier, and I know this cooler would just be useless at that speed.
    Can you reccomend me a decent Cooler available in the UK apart from the Scythe which many people have told me is the best, but I know for a fact it won't fit in my case cause its humongous.

I am planning to add another GB of the same RAM to my setup in the future, and this will fill the DIMMs up, will this affect my overclock and general use of the computer? I know it might cause me to have to access in 2T instead of 1T, which i'm not too bothered about.

Any tips for getting my Opteron up further? current voltages are from Speedfan 4.27: chipset 1.89V (temps are fine on this) vcore 1.49V , RAM 2.67V.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=70996

Thanks for your time, any reccs or help would be gladly recieved as this is my first build and first o/c :)

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=HFT-CLP0114&af=50

That ^^ is pretty much the most powerfull 939 air cooler there is, however, if size is a problem then forget it because that thing is absolutely humungous. I'm afraid I'm not that familiar with 939 coolers beyond that, but maybe try the XP-90 with a fan of your choice? I've heard alot of good things about it.

I'm not that practised in 939 overclocking either, but I can tell you that 4x512MB sticks will almost definately mean that you have to goto 2T, it will also make overclocking the ram a bit harder.

To be honest though, don't expect 3.0Ghz out of a 144, while some make it, most do not, its only really wise to expect 3.0Ghz out of a 146, or maybe even only a 148 once you go beyond the early steppings. While a better cooler might allow you to get a little more, I'd be surprised if you can make it to 3.0Ghz :(

3. Musicboffin

Musicboffin What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Thats my Opteron 144 and I'm using a Zalman CNPS9500-LED. Great cooling performance, not much noise and not that expensive. I wanted to hit 3ghz but that was as high as I could get. Even then, it would occasionally lock up, but that was very occasionally. I dropped it to 2.88ghz and its rock solid.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

My XP90-C is amazing. Definately a recommended buy, with a Zalman silent fan @ 1.5Vcore, it's apparently at 32C with a 35C load temp.

5. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Yup, another XP90 user here, well impressed, great coolers.
    If you want a little extra oomph, grab the XP120

6. s29feb

s29feb What's a Dremel?

I have an Arctic Freezer 64 Pro on an OC'd opty 170 and it does a fantastic job, plus the fan blows straight out the back BTX fashion :)

7. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I have the big typhoon on my 165 and its great if youve got the air flow in your case. Only trouble is with the side on my case the temp was actually 2c higher than with my old style freezer 64

8. brightside_

what temps is everyone running at?

9. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Another XP90C here, tis v nice!

It's bloody heavy though ;)

*edit*
    Sorry, forgot to post temps...
    idle: 28ish
    load: 38ish

(venice core running @ 2.7GHz)

10. brightside_

k, proabably going with the si-120 or the xp-120, depending if it fits with my mobo.

Has anyone got any tips for getting a higher clock? hada go at hitting 2.8 but it BSODs every time,

11. Musicboffin

Musicboffin What's a Dremel?

32 idle, 38 load

12. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

i have an opty 144 and have managed to get it up to 2.88GHz, which seems to be its ceiling on my current cooling of an xp-120 with an akasa amber fan (damn quiet), i could probably get a bit more performance out of it with a beefier fan, but i value the quiet running more than a few extra MHz.

Temps wise i get 26-28 idle and 50 max full sustained load with my everyday running speed of 2.8GHz.

Quick screenie of what i've managed so far

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Feb 2006
  13. d0z

d0z Minimodder

Would u rate the 146 to be much better than the 144

14. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Really depends on the stepping of the chip :)
    The 10* multi is very useful though. Much more usable than the 9* the 144 has :)

15. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

If you want to clock it heavily, you will find that the 144's lower multiplier might be a problem if you intend to keep the memory 1:1 (or if your board maxes out at fairly low HTT). You can always run a divider, but this comes at the expense of performance and if the board doesn't like high HTT then this won't help.

As Highland3r said, it depends on the stepping of the chip. If high clock speeds aren't attainable then it doesn't really matter.

16. d0z

d0z Minimodder

what is the best stepping to have on a 146 opty?

17. brightside_

i have a quick quesiton too, is there any way to find out the stepping and batch without having to take off the HSF?