1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things I hate this week

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 19 Feb 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. RTT

RTT #parp

haha, feel the Sony lurve here at bit.

3. 3.5SE

3.5SE What's a Dremel?

I think all PC component manufacturers are real happy about Microsoft's upcoming Vista release. You're going to need to buy an entire new PC when Vista comes out. It's going to be a nightmare of incompatabilty.

Oh you want to use this new great feature in Vista? We're sorry you need a new CPU, new graphics card, new motherboard, new everything else. Ahhhhh just buy a new PC. Cable card - the software is in there but as a home builder you won't be able to get the hardware unless you buy a new PC. Great Thanks.

I personally have stopped buying any new PC parts as of about two months ago. I really think people are going to be forced to upgrade just about everything when Vista comes out. That is if you want to be able to utilize all the cool new features. I think all the hardware manufacturers are damn happy about it too. New sales forced upon the computing public. Sucks if you ask me but we are all slaves to the technology. On one hand it's great HD-DVD's, Blu-ray, Vista media center with cable card but not if I have to buy a whole new PC to get any of it to work.

4. KittFDUK

KittFDUK Frag Doll UK

Ha! Managed to make Wil go out and buy a PS2. Score!

I'm playing Shadow of the Colossus right now. It's totally beautiful but absolutely stretching the machine to it's limits. I loved Ico so much it's hard to actually express in anything other than the medium of dance.

Geometry Wars turns me into Linda Blair in the Exorcist but I agree completely. It reminded me what it's all about and why we got into all this stuff in the first place.

Right, I have to go. I'm only on my third Colossus.

5. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

STOP GATE AND HIS EVIL EMPIRE... ;)

Argh "Vista" everytime I hear that I want to smash something :wallbash:
    IMO thats the biggest piece of consumerrights bashing pice of digital SH**!
    Oh an Sony...screw them...they belong in the same corner as Bill and his evil doers...

6. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

All this DRM is getting bloody stupid. Why are people actually going along with this?!

"We say jump and you say 'how high'?"

At some point it will turn to anarchy.. I'm so surprised there hasn't been a major human-rights case on this yet. Surely there will be though, but before that happens we'll have to endure mucho-shite.

The sad thing is, it's not entirely MS's fault. I'm not saying they're not partly at fault here, but I'd imagine the RIAA/MPAA are twisting MS's arm somewhere along the line. Why-else would they put all of this DRM in to piss-off consumers? It doesn't make marketing sense (which is what Bill's all about, if you thnk about it.)

I mean, if I wanted to ditch Vista and switch to err.. GNU/Linux, or OSX. I'll still need all the compatible hardware just to watch a film.

As per the opening statement in TFA; the industry needs to grow up. First port of call: Stick two fingers up to the DRM-pushing gimps.

7. riggs

riggs ^_^

Spot on.
    I also hate the PS2, but I feel I should buy one for WLK. And I'm sure it must've had a few other good games!

Totally agree with the Tomb Raider comments too. I never understood the TR craze...and only played the original game for about half an hour before deciding it was rubbish (whereas everyone else I knew were praising it).

8. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Go get em Wil!

Does that mean my roving reporter visit to interview the Tomb Raider girl is cancelled? I wanted to fit in a visit to the Fragdolls HQ too.. damn. :(

9. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

That was the best article I have read in a long time and its all so, so true.

Kind of sad.

10. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Personaly I DON'T WANT a graphics card with DRM, I have already disabled all the DRM serivieces in windows. I don't accept DRM on my pc, not a single one of my files has DRM (unless you count user permisions) and I plan on keeping my pc from been capable of running this scourge of humanity.

Buying a second hand ps2 is shrewed though as non of the money is going to sony :)

I haven't bought a single CD or DVD since that sony debacle and have been urging everyone to do the same...

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

QFT.

There have been enough damned attemps to chain down the society while they take it right up the you-know-where this week. A couple examples for your viewing pleasure (and that's just the last three days worth of interesting stuff on /., the more important of which have been emphasized).

I'm with kipman - the more they screw us over, the more certain I am to NEVER EVER THINK ABOUT CONSIDERING buying one of their products again. Companies are driving people to piracy in trying to prevent it, and screwing over 100% of the people who pay and having no effect whatsoever on the existing pirates. My movies are all free (and I get them before release), and half the reason I won't buy off of iTunes is the DRM. Now I'm aware of the fact that it's (for movies, anyways) more of a corporate lock-in rather than piracy protection, but most people have had just about enough. I'll tell you, people aren't too thrilled with the idea of paying $30+ per disc for movies when HD stuff comes along, not to mention the rumors of the stuff only playing on a single player (so no rentals).

I don't care about HDCP, because I know it'll be cracked long before what it protects is mainstream, but I'd rather not waste the cycles breaking it to keep my $400 monitor actually able to show high-def. Not to mention how upscaled standard def content looks just about identical to stuff originally in HD.

I too hate consoles, but it's really the only option for some games, and many others just aren't quite right on the PC (anyone played FFVII and FFVII:pC? Aside from them mangling the beautiful soundtrack, it just doesn't play the same on the PC). However, my free rentals apply to games as well, so at least I can be sure that Sony isn't getting another dime out of me.

Did I mention how anti-consumer most companies are anyways? Who hates opening DVDs? *watches all hands raise* Try opening a hundred of them in a couple hours. Three damned "security device inside" labels, the thing itself, the cellophane wrapper is now GLUED TO THE SPINE OF THE CASE, and retards packaging things. I opened one up today and the security device was STUCK TO THE DISC itself, and another where the disc was scratched to hell because some moron didn't know how to put it on the center spindle thing. (I won't get into moronic customers who try and explain to me what our store policy is, because that's irrelavent, though definately would go under 'things I hate this week'). And don't get me started about them putting in f'ing advertisements where the chapter index sheet should go.

So contrats, industry, I'm how happily spending my money anywhere but where it ends up going to you. And you know perfectly damned well that you brought it unto yourself.

Yay, second longwinded communicatory venting today!

12. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

The truest comment for the truest article.

Nice article there Haz :thumb:, agreed with most apart from the anti-Dual Shock 2

13. wilkyboy

wilkyboy What's a Dremel?

Looked at that "shadow of the colossus", looks immense tbh, might have to go and buy it, and steal my bro's ps2 for a while! :D

14. vts

vts What's a Dremel?

You forgot Guitar Hero. Thats my reason for going to go and buy a Ps2.
    Pretty much agree with everything said. Geometry Wars does rock, HARD.

15. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Windows vista, DRM, hdcp and all the friggen crap is going to kill off the pic. We dont like to be controlled. We got a bloody pc so we can chose what components we wanted to use products that we paid with for our hardearned cash. I just bought a dell2405fpw and i dont care. Some hacker will get around all this stuff eventually, and when i do i will send them a small donation for their wonderful work, give sony and ms the finger and carry on playing like im doing now.

16. CarbonNation

CarbonNation What's a Dremel?

after reading that blog I am sending you a bill for 4 minutes and 35 seconds

17. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Indeed. Damn President Logan. Keeps on falling into apparent traps, and screwing up decisions. May Mike Novick guide him to salvation!

18. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

i wish that card manufactuers' would just stop realeasing cards for about a years, so that my 7800gt jsut might actaully be worth the goddamn 300$, i just built a new system, AMD Opteron 148, 7800gt, fatality mobo, 120 gig WD, and im already afraid that it wont be enough for even games with low settings all too soon, i think that developers are assuming that we have top-of-the-line gaming pc's that can handle everything, i mean, back in the day of the fx series cards, i remember puchasing my fx5200, and playing just about everygame out there, and they allran great, and they still managed to all run great for even a cople of years. Now its like they release games to use as benchmarks and not to enjoy, fear for example, im sure if fear were coded much better, it would easily run on lower end system. i mean even my fx5200 managed to run doom 3 at a respectable 50 fps on medium. I just want a card thats gonna last me a good while. hery microsoft, for DX10 and Vista, this ones for you ..l.. :blah:

19. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

I just hope those pirates hurry up cracking HD when it is released, apparently DVD Jon has already cracked one pre-released version of HD, but hasn't told anyone how so they don't just change it. DVD Jon will soon be even more of a hero. Also, do any of you (like me) struggle to work out which DVD included in the box is the film, and which is the special features disc?

20. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

It's a column not a blog..and after reading your other posts can you curb the attitude a little please.

Tags: Add Tags