1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks How to make firewire networking work..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ConKbot of Doom, 14 Feb 2006.

1. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

I just got my new 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable today and I wanted to try out networking my laptop and my desktop, but unfortunately, I havent had any success.

Ive plugged the two in, and enabled the network adaptors. Both PC's get and IP address assigned. When I disconnect the cable, a "cable disconnected" message on both PC's. So I know that all is working in that aspect.

But I cant ping either pc from the other, even if I assign static IP's. If I try to repair the connection, it fails. If I do an ipconfig /release then /renew, then I get an error about there being no DHCP server (which is understandible I guess)

Ive tried searing google, but all I can find is people that are like "OMG firewire networking is so fast 400 mbps its great!111" and people asking to how to get it to work.

I'm using XP Pro SP2 on my desktop, and XP tablet edition SP2 on my laptop. Desktop is a DFI lan party NF4 SLI-DR system using the onboard firewire. The laptop is a Toshiba Sattelite R15. (1.6 Ghz P-M centrino system)
    Any tips or advice? Thanks for any help.

2. coorz

coorz Miffed

It is indeed very fast i can tell you! Basically assign both PC's an unique static ip. If you can't ping each other i do suspect some kind of firewall.

3. img

img Minimodder

well logical thing would be you have the xp firewall on. Turn it off on both and then try.

4. ConKbot of Doom

Well it appears that its just my desktop being misbehaved when it comes to networking, as usual. I've succeded in connecting to a few friends laptops, just needed static IP, and usually typing in \\$thericomputername$\ works. Definitely better than an ad-hoc wireless connections.

5. img

img Minimodder

so you got it working yet?

6. ConKbot of Doom

Not with my desktop, but with other peoples laptops. I'm not too worried about the desktop, I have a patch cable hanging from my router for when I need to do big transfers and wireless would be too slow.

Plus the desktop is due for a re-format here soon, maybe if I dont install the nvidia firewall at all it might work correctly.

7. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

8. img

img Minimodder

any other firewall or av enabled? have u stopped any windows services? tried winsockxpfix??

9. pccompuman

pccompuman What's a Dremel?

i think that you can only do a firewire network with a 6-pin to 6-pin cable, i dont know cause i havent tried, thats just what i have heard though.

10. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

tru to get rid of the nvidia firewall. its seems to make more problems than its worth.

Tags: