1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Roll Cage - February 27,2006

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by matrixops, 20 Jan 2006.

1. customh

customh conflagration.

Works now, wouldnt when i posted'
    EDIT: effing sweet welds and great idea, what is cpu gonna be and graphics??

2. matrixops

matrixops What's a Dremel?

After a couple of weeks of slow progress, I actually have a couple of images to post. This first image shows me preparing to install one of the cross pipes on the case. You can see that two are already tacked in place.

Figuring out how to do this with the limited tools and work space that I have took a bit of time. I determined that the wood template idea that I used when creating the sides wasn't going to work for this. After a few failed ideas, I ended up installing the first cross pipe and building the rest to match. I built a small spacer that I could clamp between the sides to keep the distance correct then tacked each cross pipe in place.

[​IMG]

The next two images show the case with all the round cross pipes welded in place. I still have some finishing to do on the welds before they are done, but it is mostly cosmetic

You may notice the the bottom rear of the case doesn't have a cross pipe installed. This will be where the Power Supply bracket is installed which is being built from 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" angle iron.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking out my project, please post any comments in the Project Log Discussion thread.

3. matrixops

Customholle,
    Sorry about the serious delay in replying, I must have missed your question. I made a small update in the Project log today. Although slow, progress is being made. I will be posting another update tomorrow.

As for the processor, I have in my possession an Opteron 144 which I hope to OC to 2.5 or 2.6GHz at a minimum.

For the graphics, the initial setup is going to be dual 6600GT's that were donated by my sponsor, Ideazon. Speaking of which, there is going to be something added to the case that is not represented in the renders (more on that later).

Please take a look at the small update and let me know what you think.

4. matrixops

I've turned over a new leaf and my goal is to make small updates to the project log as regularly as possible. This will hopefully keep me working steadily on the project rather than the sporadic process I have used thus far.

I just started work on the radiator bracketry. If you recall from the renders, the radiator will be mounted on the right side of the case near the front.

To begin with I started cutting and laying out the 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" angle iron for the radiator.

[​IMG]

With all of the pieces cut, I checked the general dimensions against the radiator to make sure that I hadn't made any major mistakes. Looks pretty good from here.

[​IMG]

The top right corner of the bracket will be the only one that requires a 45 degree angle to be cut and welded together. So, I decided to start my welding there. Here are the top and right pieces being held in position with a right-angle magnet

[​IMG]

Although this is nowhere close to ready to weld into the main structure, here is a quick preview of where it will be with respect to the entire case.

[​IMG]

Thanks for stopping by, please look for more regular small updates now.

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Looks pretty lan-proof frame :)

6. matrixops

You would be correct. There is currently some solutions under consideration to making this case more lan friendly. I am considering either casters or skateboard trucks and wheels.

Thanks for checking out my project.

7. customh

customh conflagration.

Sweet on the hardware choices, and nice rad mount, im sure when this is done this is going to be a sweet clean system....where in kansas do you live, i used to live in emporia.

8. matrixops

Thanks, I plan to work on the mount a bit more tonight. It may take me a while to get it finished, but I hope that the time I spent planning this build will payoff in the end.

I currently reside in Topeka, but will be relocating to KC in the near future. I have a few friends from the Emporia area.

9. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

Looks heavy.

10. Squatter

Squatter What's a Dremel?

As a metal fabricator, i commend you on your choice of idea for a mod. Makes me think about doing the same, sick of all the Lian Li and plexi (it's LEXAN ) crap. If you had access to a tig, i'm sure you'd be doing it in aluminium, i know i would.
    When you do your corner welds, give them a bit of weld prep, would hate to see it fall apart because you grinding all the weld off, and only any penetration just holding it together. One more thing, if i may,finish your corner welds with a sanding disc and then a file, will come up so much better after powdercoating.
    Thats my 2 bobs worth. Good luck, and nice work so far.

Cheers

Daz :thumb:

11. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?

this case looks like it will be a ripper (good) like the roll cage idea, big and robus,
    on another note, how did you learn to weld and stuff? (i want to become a welder)

12. matrixops

It is pretty heavy so far.

Thanks for some of the tips, I have notice that the grinder tends to mar the metal a bit too much. I will be doing the final prep work with a sanding disk and file as you suggested.

Your mention of the tig welder and use of aluminum is accurate. For my next project I hope to do just that. This project has indicated to me that I need to learn that welding technique.

Actually, it is kind of funny how I learned to weld. I, like you, always wanted to learn how but never had the opportunity until I went to college. It was the last year of my degree work in Philosophy when I discovered that I had some elective credit hour requirements. So, I took a welding class. We learned all techniques up to MIG/Aluminum Spool, but no TIG. My suggestion if you want to learn to weld is to check out your local vo-tech. They usually offer night courses on this sort of thing for cheap.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I am going out of town for the weekend, so there won't be any updates until Monday at the earliest.

13. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

rather than sk8 boar wheels you should get some big nobby mud tires form an RC truck or something!

14. matrixops

I have considered that, something along the lines of the MAXX rims and tires. But, being an RC'r (Stadium Truck), leads me to believe that the weight of the case may be too much for a set of these wheels and tires. I will have to look into it a bit before deciding.

15. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

How bout some nice nobby tires from a small go-cart or something. That would look really cool and could probably stand the wieght.

16. matrixops

It would have to be a pretty small wheel and tire. Are you suggesting under or to the side installation? I guess I am not sure how small those tires can be. The reason I am leaning towards the skateboard idea is that they wouldn't lift the case much higher than three inches off the ground and would be about as wide as the case.

Maybe one of those "off-road" skateboards that they used to have at walmart could be a source for parts. They used standard trucks with offroad style wheels.

Something like these wheels....only I am not sure where to find them other than this set on ebay. Let the searching commence.

[​IMG]

17. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

The off road skateboard idea is a good idea. As you said the trucks would be more to size of your case. Not sure where to get either the skateboard or Go-Kart wheels. I have just seen smaller Karts in Walmart and thought the little wheels would be cool to put on there. You would probably have to weld on your home made own suspension. Perphaps even get inspiration off of a Go-Kart or Dune buggy.

Honestly in retrospect the tires idea doesn't really fit your initial design very well. Maybe some casters and a skirt around them to stealth them would fit better. It is your mod though and many mods have often taken thier own direction, my own included.

18. matrixops

Speaking of suspension, in the early designs for the case I toyed with the idea of suspending the Hardrive cage with oil-filled rc car shocks for vibration dampening.

19. matrixops

Even though I was headed to my in-laws for the weekend, I was able to continue my work on the project while I was there. Luckily, my father-in-law has a MIG welder that he is more than happy to let me use for a bit. So, I set about finishing the radiator bracket.

Here is an image of the bracket after all the corners are welded up.

[​IMG]

Half way done with the welding of the rods, and it is looking pretty good. A little hint for those of you who may not do this type of stuff very often. If you want to evenly space items on an object, but the object does not lend itself to division easily. Start from the middle and work your way out to both ends.

[​IMG]

With all of the rods in place, the bracket is looking pretty good.

[​IMG]

Considering I forgot the radiator at home when I went out of town this weekend, there was some risk that the radiator wouldn't fit the finished bracket. Luckily, HW Labs has the specs for the radiator online, so I knew the dimensions of the radiator. Even with this knowledge, I was a bit worried about the radiator fitment. So, when I got home, I made a quick test fit......and it fits perfectly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Feb 2006
  20. customh

customh conflagration.

Nice rad grill polish it up nice :D