1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Hard Drive stuffed with sparklers

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mattthegamer463, 1 Feb 2006.

1. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Some hd magnets are so strong that i can hang from a steel joist by ONLY one magnet less the 100mm diameter (10 cm)
    BTW i way 60 Kgrms

2. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

Now you're giving me ideas :D How about sparkler dust mixed with petrol? or maybe put a match/sparkler on the platter sp when you pwer up your HD it blows up. Anyone know where to get PE? (Plastic Explosive)

3. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Im not sure how well Mg with gas would work, but it might actually inhibit the burning of the Mg, may get in the way or something, i dunno. Tomorrow me and some friends are going to put about 80 sparklers worth of Mg into a HDD, seal it up almost airtight except for the lighting hole, and hopefully the pressure will blow it to pieces. Plus we will be filming it, so Ill stick the videos and pics on my website for all to see.

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

If you want a really hot reaction, pop over to your local supply store and get some powdered iron oxide and powdered aluminium. Pile them together and use some of your magnesium (or preferably a magnesium ribbon) to light the pile... it should burn a nice hole through the drive :naughty:

Careful though - you'll have to wait for the reaction to finish, as any water sprayed on it will simply boil off. The Fe2O3 is also a powerful oxidiser, so you can't smother it either. Great.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

A few sparklers also works well.

Or so I've heard.... :worried:

6. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Are you trying to get him to make Thermite? (I think that is what it is called) that stuff burns underwater. Now what you want to do is get enough sparkler stuff and compact it in there ;) That should do the trick.

7. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

the activation level require to start a thermite reaction is alot.. A bit of magneiup is often not enough... Usually some glycerin is needed (not correct spelling) to give it a kick. Also it is very hard to get iron oxide and aluminium powder.

8. mattthegamer463

awesome, but could I just take a metal file to a piece of aluminum (so its really fine, like a powder) and file some rust off a old car or something to make the ingredients i need? My mom (who is a chemist) will get suspicious if I need to be driven to the store to buy powdered aluminum and powdered iron oxide.

*edit* also me and some friends did another one today, but the Mg just burned a small hole through the top and sprayed out really fast, it almost set the fence in my backyard on fire with the sparks it was shooting. I videotaped it, Ill put it on my website later and post a link for download.

9. customh

customh conflagration.

Sucks to have a chemist for a mom then?

10. mattthegamer463

yeah, especially when I accidently leave a lighter on the table and now she's pissed and I'm not allowed to have friends over anymore.

11. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?

tell her you are doing a sponsered even on the internet and you have over 5000 watch ur vid, (just put text next to it , *downloads 5213*)
    omg omg i just had an idea, get those sodabulbs (small c02 cartriges) put it in alfoil with sparklers all around it then scrunch up the alfoil and have one stickint out for a whick, lite it like under the hd and run for your life, should damge it niceley and if that doesnt work put it in a letter box with a deodernt can wraped in paper and light the paper and run lol :rock:

12. HollowFrank

HollowFrank What's a Dremel?

13. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

14. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

thank you mate, my cause for insomnia can finally let me get some rest... and to think 12 years wondering what would happen with a hd and some sparklers...

i give you a b+ :)

15. hentaidan

hentaidan What's a Dremel?

16. mattthegamer463

What are they doing in that experiment?

17. Motivator

Motivator Arma Virumque Cano

You ever lay awake at night and wonder what the effects of thermite on a spinning HDD would be?

hell, i know i do.

18. hentaidan

hentaidan What's a Dremel?

FTA: "Investigation into the effects of jelly on the functional abilities of a hard drive"

19. Sherk

Sherk What's a Dremel?

Spinning hard drive... ever drop a marble onto one? I broke a window :duh: and my mom was *pissed*. I don't know if the thermite would stick or not, but can you imagine flying thermite? Not a good thing... I also have plastic embedded in my finger (don't make homemade torches by wrapping plastic layers around a piece of wood, and swing it around :wallbash: ).

20. Faind

Faind What's a Dremel?

You're all nuts! :worried: I don't feel safe anymore.